Cerakote

PeteMcGuire1881

Well-Known Fanatic
Not a metallurgist but I believe they strip it down to bare metal before cerakoting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ship mine to Boyd at Hilbilly223 in Arkansas. He does all the cerakote for Knighthawk and several others

Attachments

• IMG_0483.PNG
    IMG_0483.PNG
    1 MB · Views: 25

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Chris54326 said:
Thanks, Matt. Have you had work done there?
I had a bolt carrier done in some sort of self lubricating cerakote made for bcg's a few years ago.
He's the guy that does all the cerakoting for Hailey Ordnance.

zombiegirl

Well-Known Fanatic
Firearm Solutions in Duncan has recently done a couple of my rifles and they have turned out really nice. Out of State I would def recommend Scalpel Arms....He has some wicked creations and has painted a few of my firearms as well...def someone to go to if you are wanting a cool design!

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, I went to Harsh's place in Norman. Wasn't really impressed with them. They didn't seem prepared to do the work. They quoted me a price..............but it would be more if they had to order a color I wanted that they didn't have. What's up with that? Not very professional in my opinion.

Professor

Well-Known Fanatic
Chris54326 said:
Well, I went to Harsh's place in Norman. Wasn't really impressed with them. They didn't seem prepared to do the work. They quoted me a price..............but it would be more if they had to order a color I wanted that they didn't have. What's up with that? Not very professional in my opinion.
Harsh does very good work on the samples I have seen and handled, two of which are mine. Their attention to detail surpassed others I've seen. One of mine they did was redoing a low quality job someone else had done.

More for a color they don't stock? Just about every industry is that way. Special order a pre-hung entry door from Home Depot or Lowes in dark oak instead of a medium oak that they normally stock. The price goes up substantially.
I've had powder coating done on items and saved money choosing colors that are stocked. In this case, they will have to buy more coating than what it takes to use on your item. They might not be able to combine it with a larger order to get a volume discount. It may end up being shipped by itself if they just ordered the previous week. Not sure, and I'm not defending them. I just know how many things work.

Pick the person to do the work carefully. I've seen way more sub-standard jobs than good jobs.

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
I appreciate what you are saying, Rick, but he didn't even have color samples that depicted the actual colors I was wanting. I take that back, he did have one pistol that had some Graphite Black on the slide release, but the Tungston H-237 I wanted for the frame he didn't. And when I commented I'd need to see a true example because on the Cerakote gallery, every time I saw Tungston it was a different color.........because the person editing the picture processed it differently. Jarod said not to bother going to the color samples on Cerakote's site because none of them matched the real thing. So how's a person supposed to pick colors????? That's why I was hoping to find someone who had a lot of examples of their work on hand or some examples of color applied to metal plates for comparisons.

Professor

Well-Known Fanatic
Chris54326 said:
I appreciate what you are saying, Rick, but he didn't even have color samples that depicted the actual colors I was wanting. I take that back, he did have one pistol that had some Graphite Black on the slide release, but the Tungston H-237 I wanted for the frame he didn't. And when I commented I'd need to see a true example because on the Cerakote gallery, every time I saw Tungston it was a different color.........because the person editing the picture processed it differently. Jarod said not to bother going to the color samples on Cerakote's site because none of them matched the real thing. So how's a person supposed to pick colors????? That's why I was hoping to find someone who had a lot of examples of their work on hand or some examples of color applied to metal plates for comparisons.
Understand

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
Anyone else have personal experience with Keith Stewart at Firearms Solutions? He has both colors I'm wanting, in stock and has examples on firearms.

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
Hmmm..............they show pictures of semi-auto slides on their site.

Okay, then, any other good (legal) certified Cerakote applicators in Central Oklahoma?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Chris54326 said:
Hmmm..............they show pictures of semi-auto slides on their site.

Okay, then, any other good (legal) certified Cerakote applicators in Central Oklahoma?
most of the time a slide isn't a firearm, the serialized portion (usually the frame) is considered the firearm.
Also, Powder coat isn't the same as cerakote. Just something to think about.

Latest posts