Cerakote

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
I've MEK and Acetone both in my shop. I'll clean the parts myself before taking them "wherever". Won't hurt to have them cleaned twice. Oh, and I'll immerse the parts and soak them.......and then brush them before removing from the de-greaser. That ought to do it.

Okay, all of that's out of the way, now to make the decision about "who" to take it to. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. (ponder)

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Chris54326 said:
I've MEK and Acetone both in my shop. I'll clean the parts myself before taking them "wherever". Won't hurt to have them cleaned twice. Oh, and I'll immerse the parts and soak them.......and then brush them before removing from the de-greaser. That ought to do it.

Okay, all of that's out of the way, now to make the decision about "who" to take it to. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. (ponder)
be sure to not handle the pieces after cleaning. When they are that "dry" they'll soak up oil from your skin everywhere you touch them.
Use nitrile gloves to handle the cleaned parts.

twss

Well-Known Fanatic
Cerakote recommends degreasing and then baking to draw out any oils in the pours of the metal, and then degreasing again.

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks for the "heads-up", Brandon. I downloaded the Cerakote Training Manual yesterday because your point was a question I had.

zombiegirl

Well-Known Fanatic
Here are the two guns that Keith recently did for me!! He did an excellent job and def has better customer service skills than Harsh.....don't get me started on that!!

Attachments

• PCC.jpg
    PCC.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 556.jpg
    556.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 29

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks, Jamie. Sure are nice looking. Customer service goes a long way with me.............and, as I've indicated, there was just "something" about Jared that didn't sit will with me. Couldn't put my finger on it, but just "something".

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
Well...... I detail stripped my Hi-Power for the first time in 34 years!!!! Don't jump on me, I've only shot about 350 rounds out of it in all that time so it wasn't that dirty. It's all stripped and I soaked it in Acetone for 4 hours.................it's clean as a whistle. I'm going to take it to Firearm Solutions on Monday. Now, if I can just remember how to put the damned thing back together, I'll be okay! :eek:

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I feel bad for mentioning Harsh now.
I haven't dealt with him in a couple years, I guess he got too big for his britches.

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
Just got back from Firearm Solutions in Duncan, OK. Want to thank Jamie. Keith Stewart is a really "stand up" kind of guy. Liked him. Extremely accommodating. Very knowledgeable about the product and bent over backwards to help me. When he said he'd have to order one of the colors I'd chosen, I asked if there would be an extra charge and he just looked puzzled and said "no, why?????" Told him about my talk with Harsh and he just rolled his eyes. I forgot to tell him I wanted my Delrin checkered grips painted also and asked how much extra that would cost. Keith: "Nothing!"

Did I mention I like this guy? If my pistol turns out as nice as some of the examples he had there, I'll be using him any time in the future when I need a Cerakote job.

Thanks again to Jamie and all of you for your help and comments. "Happy, happy, happy"!

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
Keith said it would take about a week to get it finished. That was on Monday. Sure feels as if a week has come and gone several times. ( Did I mention patience isn't one of my biggest virtues?????) :sarcastichand:

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
Okay, Jamie..........and anyone else interested, here's a pic of the "new" old Belgium Browning Hi-Power.

p2337747615-4.jpg

The Stainless turned out a little darker than I expected, but I'm still pleased with it. It's to be a daily carry and I reckon the less "flashy" the better.

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks, Matt. Keith did a fine job and even sprayed the grips at no charge. :eek: He even reinstalled my front and rear sights since I didn't have a sight tool. (also at no charge) :good: Stand up kind of guy and I'd recommend him to anyone who needs any of the services he offers. :clap:

Ron J

Fanatic
Doing some research on Cerakote. Great thread and a very handsome Browning!

A few years ago ... I had an impulse buy of a Colt TALO Concealed Carry Government where the bluing looks marginally OK by itself but sitting next to one of my older Colts it looks like they used water colors to blue it. So I am thinking about Cerakote. I had Metaloy do a Commander frame for me a few years back and it looks great. Thinking of something different with the Cerakote. Wide variety of blacks and greys to choose from.

Chris54326

Well-Known Fanatic
Ron,

This was my first Cerakoted firearm. I've carried the pistol for at least 16 hours of every day for over a year now. That includes while brush-hogging my front pasture in the sweltering heat............with all the sweat rolling down my body and much of it onto my firearm. Not a single spot of rust has shown up in this 16 month period. !!! And I don't wipe it with an oil rag except when I clean it. When I practice shooting, it's always presented from the holster, so the pistol has been pulled from the holster countless thousands of times. I can't believe how minuscule the holster wear is. I swear, if I had the money, I'd Cerokote every firearm I own that is considered a "working" or "defense" weapon. I appreciate a pretty blued or rust blued firearm as much as the next guy................but Cerokote is the only finish for working firearms, in my opinion. And, as you mentioned, color choice is unbelievable.

Ron J

Fanatic
Wow! That is amazing! I had no idea that Cerakote would hold up like that! I like that it was done in Duncan. Short drive for me in Edmond to drop it off. My problem is trying to figure out what color.

And I really like your Hi Power. As a kid I would go to the LGS and just stare at one. One of the first guns I bought when I turned 21. Sent mine to the late great Austin Behlert who worked his magic on it. Lowered BoMar rear sight, improved safety, action job which included removing the mag safety. Often I think about getting a 1911 in 9mm but then I open my safe and see that and end up getting another 45.

Thank you sir for the information!!

Latest posts