Carry magazines? What kind?

Rob Biedermann

Active Fanatic
Wilson Combat 47Ds with Tripp followers in 45 ACP - hate the plastic followers. Only get 7 rounds with the Tripp followers and I'm ok with that.

Wilson Combat ETM or Vickers magazines in 9mm. But be sure they are the latest version! Wilson will swap out the older 9mm mags for tree is you call them last I checked. I swapped a couple last year.

Jammer Six

Well-Known Fanatic
If this thread runs long enough, we'll mention every brand made, and then the thread will be useless, if it isn't already.

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm a Big fan of Wilson Combat, but heard extremely good things about Tripp Research! I recently purchased a few Wilson 10 round mags for my 38 Supers.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Matches anything in my box, McKormik Shooting Stars or Wilson 47 carry the 47's only, or for my Paras the factory ones. 5 plate matches we used to do I used GI 7 round as we could only load 5 on most of them as being fair to anyone with a 5 shot revolver as we used to have a man show up to shoot being fair to all, he shot slower yet rarely ever missed, like almost never missed! He made all shoot against him shoot slower as we knew he would hit all. He shot a 3" J frame with 170 gr reloads.

Kevin Rohrer

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I'm a Big fan of Wilson Combat, but heard extremely good things about Tripp Research!

Based on recommendations, I bought 3-Tripp mags for evaluation. After an initial break-in period, they have performed just as well as my Wilsons. The Tripps are a bit less expensive than Wilson's top tier mags, even when they are on-sale.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
I got stopped in a match sometime back using a Wilson 10 round I had 9 total in it including the chambered the range enforcer that started all that also was also loading 9! in his 8+1, I had just had a finger re attached by surgery and it made it so much easier on me, match director advised him to either shut up or leave, thankfully he rarely ever comes anymore, the match director also approved my use of it prior. We are here to ALL have a good time not complain!"

The gripe "well that don't fit in the box!"

JC54

Well-Known Fanatic
8 round tripp cobramags - never had a problem.
I recently got some tripp 10 round mags but haven't tested them yet.
Anyone have any experience with them?

cxm

Active Fanatic
The old Chip McCormick eight round mags were really good (made by Metal Form I think) and worked reliably for me. I used them at several shooting schools including Thunder Ranch and Tom Giviens courses. They were completely reliable, including when shooting cast 200gr wad cutters (H&G 68.) I could hardly ask for better results.

I can't say if the new CMC mags are still that reliable, but I am extremely pleased with them.

V/r

Chuck

JoeDice

Fanatic
Mec-Gar 1911 Officers 7 round .45 ACP nickel MGCO4507NPF

larger image

This .....

I have never had a failure to feed with this mag in my DW ECO

Mec-Gar 1911 Officers 7 round .45 ACP nickel MGCO4507NPF

$20.95

Mec-Gar 1911 Officers 7 round .45 ACP magazine with the nickel finish. The magazine has the polymer butt-plate and follower MGCO4507NPF.
  • Increased capacity of 7 rounds
  • Carbon Steel or 17-7 PH Stainless Steel tube
  • Internal components are linked together to offer easy dis-assembly and reassembly
  • Lubricated nylon polymer follower with metal insert where the slide stop activates properly aligns all types of ammunition for the most reliable feeding.
  • Spring is manufactured from from higher tensile music wire with a drawn phosphate coating for easier coiling properties and longer service life
  • Redesigned high impact polymer removable butt-plate is tapered to to fit funneled mag wells
Constructed from certified carbon steel and features a heat treated housing and high-impact polymer or certified carbon steel follower and floorplate. The magazine spring is made of high strength type "D" music wire-the strongest wire available. TIG welding provides additional strength and a seamless finish. Each magazine surface is specially treated to ensure high corrosion resistance.
Mec-Gar is proud to be the Original Equipment Manufacturer of magazines to most of the prominent firearm manufacturers for the last 40 years including AMT - Armscor - Astra - Beretta Bernadelli - FN Browning - BUL - Charles Daly - Colt - CZ - IMI - Kel-Tec - Kimber - Llama - North American Arms - Remington - Sigarms - Smith & Wesson - Springfield Armory - STI - Standard Arms - Star - Steyr - Tanfoglio - Taurus - Walther.

Pandaz3

Well-Known Fanatic
I use CMC 8 round 'Shooting Star' magazines as they have the MilSpec base that allows the X-Grip pinky sleeve makes the eight rounders a perfect fit for me. I carry my RIA OM 8+1 of 45, I do have a Wilson 8 round for OM too

ILED93

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been running CMC and Wilson in .45 and picked up a couple of Tripp's in 9mm. Can't say I've been dissatisfied with any of them.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
To add I sometimes shoot carry mags in matches just to use them to me a great way to check them, mostly 47D Wilsons 8's

Latest posts