Carry a Knife for Personal Defense; When will you Use it?

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Unique, in that it is a double edged Karambit from United Cutlery, the Undercover Karambit. For those that study Kali, very effective with both forehand and backhand movement with minimal wrist rotation. IMG_1824.JPG

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Some of the examples shown above are Karambits that are single edge and one is double edge. Be informed of your state laws for some states do not legally allow double edged knives, and may also limit the length of the blade when carried concealed.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Some of the examples shown above are Karambits that are single edge and one is double edge. Be informed of your state laws for some states do not legally allow double edged knives, and may also limit the length of the blade when carried concealed.
Cool little knives. Fox makes some well built ones too.

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
When I was working in law enforcement as a police officer I always carried a knife, clipped in my strong side pocket, as did most officers. Usually it was an automatic (S&W or Microtech) but always a folder. Since studying Kali for a few years I have come to realize that a fixed blade knife carried concealed in a properly designed Kydex sheath was much faster to deploy and easily concealed. However, many have adapted a fold up knife such as the design by Emerson that deploys fully locked when pulled from the pocket, and this, with some practice is incredibly fast. There is a notch that catches on the edge of the pocket that opens the knife when drawn from the pocket. The argument for a fixed blade is that under stress there is no fumbling looking to find the correct position for the button to open the automatic knife or the attachment on the blade to open with the thumb. As is said relative to firearms, the simplicity of the Glock (and other striker fired handguns) makes it a natural for rapid, effective deployment when compared to the 1911 with both a grip safety and the necessity of releasing the thumb safety. With practice, the movement with the 1911 becomes automatic and rarely results in a failure to fire. I know, for I shot one for many years in competition and don't remember any time having a problem using a correct grip to disengage the grip safety or problems with the thumb safety. Of course, paper targets are not shooting back at you, and thus enters the Glock, two variables are removed when shooting under extreme stress.

JC54

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a knife (Benchmade Infidel) on me and often in my hand, as I walk from my car to a certain building I have to frequent in the middle of the night. It's not in the greatest part of town and if I get jumped, no way I can get to my carry gun in time. I have some training, but have a very intimate knowledge of the human anatomy.
I'm pretty sure they call that knife A FELONY where I live . . . HAHA . . . sad but true.
I have a few cheap out the fronts for fun, but I wouldn't chance an expensive knife like that being "confiscated".

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm pretty sure they call that knife A FELONY where I live . . . HAHA . . . sad but true.
I have a few cheap out the fronts for fun, but I wouldn't chance an expensive knife like that being "confiscated".
I'm no longer carrying a badge, so any time I carry one of my Karambit's am probably going to get a bit more attention than I want, and confiscation is always a risk. But for that reason I actually carry one, hoping that the sight of such a nasty weapon would discourage further aggression. And brandishing is still brandishing.

JC54

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm no longer carrying a badge, so any time I carry one of my Karambit's am probably going to get a bit more attention than I want, and confiscation is always a risk. But for that reason I actually carry one, hoping that the sight of such a nasty weapon would discourage further aggression. And brandishing is still brandishing.
I don't carry an out the front knife, and everything I learned in Kali (sticks & daggers) involved double edge daggers . . . which I have . . . but are illegal to carry. So I carry a Gerber covert, which is not double edged, and is just under 4" so is legal. The serrations make it great for cutting line to tie down things on the truck, which is it's main practical use. I work in people's homes and it amazes me the amount of senior citizens that have killer dogs that they can't control. Had to fight a wolf dog once, which I had by the throat as it frothed from the mouth to try to kill me. It was kinda like having a tiger by the tail. I got away with one scar, I won, but I was the only one bleeding. After the fact I thought if there are two dogs the knife could be good in a pinch. A fixed blade would be better, but hard to conceal & I don't need the "what's the knife for?" conversation everywhere I go. Most people see weapons as a threat & feel very SAFE with their mobile phone as their primary weapon.
That being said, after 37 years with a 1911, the past 3 years a 45 Shield is has been the primary weapon.
PS - never saw a double edged karambit before - very cool.

GERBER COVERT 2.JPG

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a Microteach double edge automatic that I got while I was a a cop. Got a pretty good deal then and now see that one similar is $500. It has a window breaker on the end which I don't care for because it prevents stabling movements without gouging your hand. In my state double edge are legal not so in one of the adjacent states.

RickOShay

Well-Known Fanatic
I carry a Benchmade ATS-34 and have for around 30 years. It's always with me unless I'm flying. Very little training, but I would go for the joints or shallow big veins. If you're sticking someone you might have a difficult time pulling it out.

Mr.Fister

Active Fanatic
I've carried a Spyderco Endura in one form or another for nearly 30 years. Lost my EDC plain edge last Spring so I replaced it with the Pacific Salt 2 in LC200N and it has been okay for everyday tasks. When I leave my property and venture out among humanity I always have my Endura 4 with full Spyderedge.

TXPlt

Well-Known Fanatic
Never leave the house without a flashlight, pistol, and knife. I'm not much of a knife-fighter BUT the knife has great utility in all sorts of arenas. It's sad that entities like TSA and the like try to 'defang' people by targeting useful tools those people need and should have.

Here's my usual 'always have it with you' EDC suite when going anywhere (sometimes it's the copper knife, sometimes a cold steel recon, sometimes the Kershaw with the integral screwdriver set, etc. and sometimes it's a Glock or Sig C3, etc. for the carry gun rather than the Sig 365). But a man needs to have on him his basic toolkit IMHO.IMG_0281.jpeg

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Never leave the house without a flashlight, pistol, and knife. I'm not much of a knife-fighter BUT the knife has great utility in all sorts of arenas. It's sad that entities like TSA and the like try to 'defang' people by targeting useful tools those people need and should have.

Here's my usual 'always have it with you' EDC suite when going anywhere (sometimes it's the copper knife, sometimes a cold steel recon, sometimes the Kershaw with the integral screwdriver set, etc. and sometimes it's a Glock or Sig C3, etc. for the carry gun rather than the Sig 365). But a man needs to have on him his basic toolkit IMHO.View attachment 10674
I wholeheartedly agree!

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't carry a knife for defense, sorry to say that I have not trained to use one in self defense either but would not hesitate to use the one I do carry if need be if that was my last resort!.
oh and by the way I carry a purple Loconico Keen!
Picture found on internet but this is the exact knife I carry daily
View attachment 7858
I like it, I like it a lot!