Burned hands.....

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Nice Jared, thanks. I can't tell from the sketch but I think I will make it cover both sides of the barrel and extend a little further back towards the receiver.

If this works we will have to come up with a name for it:

barrel condom
monkey hand paw
death shield
burn guard

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Jared Carpenter said:
Quick sketch while eating breakfast
That's pretty much what I was thinking. I don't know that you need to go under the hand guard but that might be better. Although It might not fit. I'm also curious to see if having kydex along side the vent rib is visually obtrusive.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Jesse Tischauser said:
I'm also curious to see if having kydex along side the vent rib is visually obtrusive.

When I heat it up and form it to the rib I should be able to get it to lay pretty flat.

If it won't fit under the handguard, could we affix it to the barrel with double sided tape?

Plus, I wasn't going to form it quite so "fancy" I was just going to make the prototype square and go from there

jtischauser

Burk Cornelius said:
When I heat it up and form it to the rib I should be able to get it to lay pretty flat.

If it won't fit under the handguard, could we affix it to the barrel with double sided tape?

Plus, I wasn't going to form it quite so "fancy" I was just going to make the prototype square and go from there
Double sided tape was my thoughts that way it has another layer of insulation and the kydex should be off the vent rib a little too.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
I am going to play with a couple ideas. One might be to press some detents into the kydex when its hot and see if it will "snap" onto the vent rib, thus holding it in place. That idea might not work, but I'll try it anyway.

Like Jesse, I wonder if having kydex (albeit thin) over the rib will interfere with your sight line down the rib

jtischauser

Burk Cornelius said:
I am going to play with a couple ideas. One might be to press some detents into the kydex when its hot and see if it will "snap" onto the vent rib, thus holding it in place. That idea might not work, but I'll try it anyway.

Like Jesse, I wonder if having kydex (albeit thin) over the rib will interfere with your sight line down the rib
Over the rib wouldn't work. Along the dude where to burn your hand might if it isn't intrusive to your sight picture. I'm thinking the 1/16" offset that the double side tape cause might help.

I like your idea of getting a shape that would just snap on the barrel. It could be used on either side for lefties or righties.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Shape it how you want it, then cut a slit in the sides of it and run a strip of velcro around the handguard through the kydex and under the rib along with double sided tape.

Tech

Well-Known Fanatic
If the kydex was thin enough and there was room between the barrel and for end you could make it "U" shaped around the bottom of the barrel and up the sides of the rib. Then it would snap in place. I'm thinking there won't be enough room though. I would have to take a gun apart and look.

Travis Colford

Well-Known Fanatic
Matt Rigsby said:
Shape it how you want it, then cut a slit in the sides of it and run a strip of velcro around the handguard through the kydex and under the rib along with double sided tape.
I think this would be the best idea or if you could have kydex tabs that would snap under into the vent rib and just cut it flat to the rib. The velcro would make it easy enough to install and take off for cleaning and disassemble in my mind.

Couldn't you just velcro it into the hand guard and live it so its loose off the barrel and when you flip to load it would flex in to touch the barrel instead of your hand.

As for names call it the crap guard.

Latest posts