Best 1911 Double Stack?

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
ON way home from grocery buying I did a fast walk through looking at ammo and reloading items, very nice shelves is what I saw, local farm and ranch was about zero of anything, sad very sad looking. I did get a very nice gift today of some 9 & 45 brass I am very thankful for it.

Firestorm3511

Fanatic
It is very sad. Those that did not stock up in good times are very short handed now (regarding ammo purchases) as most Gun shop shelves look the same as what you have just described.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
This shortage will not affect me any as far as shooting as I normally do so I love to shoot and reload, We got 10000 primers and 16lb powder in just last week alone no issues on bullet metal or brass. Still shooting about 500 a week and plan doing so if the mud dries out, friend has a new double stack R1 9mm to try out later this week.

Firestorm3511

Fanatic
Double stack R1, that sounds interesting. That should be a joy to shoot. You shoot a lot. That's good. I have several several guns I have not shot yet including an SR1911 I purchased new the first month they were released in 2011. Have fun and be safe.

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I have the Wilson EDC X9, a great 1911ish 9mm. Although pricey, it a heck of a shooter, with adjustments from Wilson for a great fit.
Totally agree. Took mine to Gunsite last year for an advanced pistol course and it performed flawlessly. Have to confess that the year before took my Glock Gen 5 19 and could say the same. Sometimes it's just about what you want, not necessarily function. Same about automobiles.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
My friend looked very hard for an R1 double stack and finally found one with 6 mags, it shoots very very well, some parts are marked Para Ord in it just like my Paras are, so odd that Remington removed them from website and catalog and appear to not me making any more, I do know that they sell as all dried up.

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Double stack vs single stack. Number one, it depends on what you are using it for. As a Range or competition gun weight and size probably doesn't factor in. As a carry gun, 9mm will probably be a better choice. I have a Wilson EDC x9 that I carry comfortably and is pretty concealable. A .45 acp in double stack is going to be a pretty large beast. I had one and sold it. Too big for my hands but a friend raved about his. He was a big guy and wasn't using it as an EDC. For years I was .45 all the way. As both bullets and guns have developed am now carrying and shooting 9mm.

FWoo45

Well-Known Fanatic
Cough* Chambers! Cough* or Svi but for the $, in a free state, phat WMG all day.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got the R1 double stack, it's excellent! Still as good in my opinion and cheaper are the Rock Islands, the Remington double stack mags work in those also, I know the STI 2011's are a step up fit and finish but for 3 or 4 times the price and double at least cost of magazines I chose the less expensive option, nice having choices. As far as which do I enjoy shooting more, slight edge to single stack 1911's, just absolutely love them!

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
As far as competition, single stack for IDPA, sometimes us the double stack USPSA if shooting minor, also for a local match we have here, CPSL, it's a version of USPSA, simpler scoring and little more forgiving, Glock 35 for major in USPSA

Max

Fanatic
Kimber double stack from the 90's. IsraelI plastic lower and kimber upper. Ugly thing but shots great, very reliable. Also a Sig 220 SAS SAO .45, a bit heavy but shoots lights out.

CEP27

New Fanatic
I have an R1 double stack that's new. Never been fired. I also have approx 7 unused factory mags. I might be willing to sell if I can get a good price. Send PM if interested.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Have many dbl. stack pistols..but only 1 Dbl. stack 1911.. A new Para p-14 I bought "new" a few (?) yrs. ago.
Para was bought by the "Freedom Group" part of Cerberus Capitol Management..( in 2012) Never heard of the Freedom Group ?
They first bought Bushmaster, then Remington, followed by Marlin, Dakota Arms, & then DPMS, H&R, & L.C. Smith ..they
were all purchased by the Freedom group

Para, like Bushmaster, had their original factories closed after bought by Cerberus, & production moved to the Remington factory.
In Feb. 2015, Para production "merged " with Remington. & the Para name ceased to be used on firearms. Some could say the new Remington 1911's are the old Paras. My point in this is.. I bought my P-14 when an online seller ( CDNN Sports ) bought a bunch of leftover, Para labeled 1911's, in various calibers, both single & double stack models. This sale had steeply discounted prices, (compared to the MSRP) .

I thought I needed (wanted) a double stack in 45acp (had a Glock 21, but it doesn't count..it's a Glock ).. so considered buying a P-14..after reading all the + & - comments on the Para line that I could find online, decided to take a chance & order a P-14...did I mention it had a $100.00 rebate, along with a discounted price ?

Got my bargain priced P-14 & a close examination was very impressed. It functions perfectly & every time I shoot it, I'm impressed what a bargain I bought..Wished I'd bought the dbl. stack 1911 Para in 40 S&W too..by the time I'd discovered how nicely constructed by P-14 was,
all the dbl stacK Paras in 40 S&W had been sold.