Best 1911 Double Stack?

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
With health, age and income now those days are memories, good ones. I have to settle with my STI , Wilson & Para they work fine for my use now.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got R1 limited in 9mm, had a RIA, sold the Rock, it was fine just didn't need two, and I've been happy with R1, just started USPSA and use it in limited division, it's real similar to Para, I like mags being 30 bucks vs 75 or whatever STI mags are and don't have to be tuned, they fit the Rock Island also which is probably best bang for buck

Mike D

Well-Known Fanatic
I have the Wilson EDC X9, a great 1911ish 9mm. Although pricey, it a heck of a shooter, with adjustments from Wilson for a great fit.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Does anyone knw if Remington will make anymore double stacks last I looked they were removed from website

TrustVerify

New Fanatic
If you can locate a Wilson Combat Spec Ops 15 RD 9 mm double stack 1911. Your prayers will be answered.

Phil

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Does anyone knw if Remington will make anymore double stacks last I looked they were removed from website
I actually don't but I saw a fairly recent article about the Travis Tomasie model in 40 S&W, tricked out one for USPSA not to long ago, goin by my favorite LGS tomorrow, I'll get him to do a little digging but the RIA is a good substitute

SoCal1911

Fanatic
The Para doube stackes made in Canada were good 1911. I have P16 Limited in 40 S&W that was run hard at USPSA matches. Had others, P16, P14 Limited. All were good pistols, accurate, reliable. My shooting friend even had a P16 Limited converted to 10MM.

kma369

New Fanatic
I'm toying with the idea of picking up a double stack 1911 - I know everyone is a big supporter of the 1911 in 45acp - however I'm not sure if that's the best caliber for this piece.

Does anyone have a 9mm or 38super in a double stack 1911 that they appreciate?

I've seen a few builders offer them, and even seen STI offer a double stack that is in 45acp. My dad built a double stack off a Para frame once. It was one hefty piece for sure.

One thing I do know, is that you can't go cheap if you want a
I'm toying with the idea of picking up a double stack 1911 - I know everyone is a big supporter of the 1911 in 45acp - however I'm not sure if that's the best caliber for this piece.

Does anyone have a 9mm or 38super in a double stack 1911 that they appreciate?

I've seen a few builders offer them, and even seen STI offer a double stack that is in 45acp. My dad built a double stack off a Para frame once. It was one hefty piece for sure.

One thing I do know, is that you can't go cheap if you want a double stack.

How much are you planning to invest?
I am fortunate enough to to own a STI Costa Lumus & Wilson KZ-45.
The STI fits my hands & hold just a little better then the Wilson. Neither are "hefty," in their weight distribution, natural pointers, & tack drivers!
Nothing EVER against John Moses' single stack 1911! In my paws (I have average paw size) both double stacks do not feel much larger then a single stack.
Best of luck!

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
You can find Para's on Gunbroker from time to time, Rock Islands don't have to be worked, mine was fine out of box, smooth as a Wilson Combat, no but certainly adequate. The EDC's are excellent as has been mentioned, I have the 4" and very nice

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Both my Paras are the stainless P14 & 13 Canada versions Limited, never any issues with them at all and been shot a lot.

Last edited:

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Both my Paras are the stainless P14 & 13 Canada versions Limited, never anby issues with them at all and been shot a lot.
I bet the stainless looks good! I've been happy with mine so far, gonna be tomorrow before I get to LGS to check on status of double stack R1's. Gunbroker has some but may be old stock

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
I saw 2 for sale today in our shopping for stuff $675 Canada

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I saw 2 for sale today in our shopping for stuff $675 Canada
Those are excellent prices! I have never seen used Para, well I take that back, was one of those Warthogs in rough condition at LGS, the 3" one but never 5", not even single stack

Firestorm3511

Fanatic
I have a P14 stainless (Canadian) I purchased used in 2011 looking unsuccessfully at the time for a New ruger 1911 when it they came out. I can shoot it better that most 1911's I have. I also have a RIA 10mm (16 rounds) double stack, it has been the most accurate shooter out of the box of all my guns, hands down. I do not know how long the RIA will last, but its is a joy to shoot. Only time will tell but out of the box, it's the most accurate gun I have ever shot to date.

Last edited:

jks1911

Fanatic
I recently purchased an STI combat master, 9 mm. It shoots great, I plan on carrying it on duty once I can get a complete Sam Brown duty rig made. I have put 500 rounds or so through it. Zero buyers remorse.3BB7EBB3-C5A3-4DC7-9EB1-37B7AEB66720.jpeg

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
When I 1st got in LE we had to carry revolvers only BUT could have a back up of anything, when that changed I went to a 1911, I shall never forget my 1st range qualification day, perfect weather and could not wait 3 of 34 of us shot the course clean, 1 did not make it, dropped 1 when I was issued a 2-1/2" 66 there it was about the same thing then also, they gave that to me when I left with my name engraved on it, I still have it.

Last edited:

Latest posts