Best 1911 Double Stack?

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
I'm toying with the idea of picking up a double stack 1911 - I know everyone is a big supporter of the 1911 in 45acp - however I'm not sure if that's the best caliber for this piece.

Does anyone have a 9mm or 38super in a double stack 1911 that they appreciate?

I've seen a few builders offer them, and even seen STI offer a double stack that is in 45acp. My dad built a double stack off a Para frame once. It was one hefty piece for sure.

One thing I do know, is that you can't go cheap if you want a double stack.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a Canada built P14 Stainless Limited it works great and has since I got it Also a as new Commander size LDA both in 45, I tried a 9mm for awhile but sold it as I prefer a 45 1911 the new owner rarely ever shoots anything much less this out club president!. The 1st match I shot with it I knew instantly with 5 mags of 230 gr it was a load for sure we had a 1st stage of 50 rounds! having to walk a red carpet to a door and shooting over it which he could not do to being so short, he was told just do what you need to finish it, he shot around it fine, from that day on he shot with a shirt with SHORTY on it.

My P14 best no way but works great got 10 mags and filled a void for me, I had several friends with the original P14's they all worked great, I have shot some of my best matches with it in the past before surgeries changed all of that. Look for a Canada made one if you have any interest there, for best I would look at STI-SV-Wilson, I also had a P13 that worked perfectly, Canada made. Sold it to get my STI single stack.

Last edited:

45 Ralph

Well-Known Fanatic
I have an older STI Tactical 5.0 extremely accurate in 45ACP. I kid you not this 2011 is a real tac driver. For me, and I am not criticizing anyone's choice here, my 1911s and 2011s gotta be 45. I have a G17 I will carry in the brutal winter Chicago months. When my 1911s and 2011s are hibernating in gun socks in the safe

So I recommend picking up a good STI.

Last edited:

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a Limcat 38 Super built as a carry gun and it shoots so soft, so smooth, so flat and accurate. After I shoot a hundred 45acp's it feels like a 22

a little tough to justify carrying size wise even though it was built as a carry pistol (particularly compared to the Stacatto P if you want to compare apples to apples)

built on an STI 2011 frame carrying 17+1. I am confident that this base gun would run just about as well without the full house customization but.......pride of ownership and all that.

Also, I can't help but say that you could get the CZ TSO (40 or 9 mm)......or Shadow Two blue or Orange for half the price and have every bit of the performance and ergonomics

my .02

PS; Jonny Lim does outstanding work!!
D93F7448-32FA-4551-A6E4-D6DD743C9CA0.jpeg

Last edited:

CEP27

New Fanatic
I've got a Remington R1 in a double stack. It's in 45 ACP. Not a bad shooter but it's heavy. Too heavy for EDC. It's in my bedside drawer with a light & laser.

1911BFD

New Fanatic
I'm toying with the idea of picking up a double stack 1911 - I know everyone is a big supporter of the 1911 in 45acp - however I'm not sure if that's the best caliber for this piece.

I've seen a few builders offer them, and even seen STI offer a double stack that is in 45acp. My dad built a double stack off a Para frame once. It was one hefty piece for sure.

1911BFD

New Fanatic
Yes, Better Firearms Designs now makes a 2011 type double stack in 9mm that is real sweet. It has a fixed barrel and is piston driven.

xusmico

Active Fanatic

check out the new WC x series. concure w/ 9mm in double stack. even with current spring tech, thats a lot of weight on the spring, weight in a carry gun is heavy. decades ago a national SWAT team was moving away from the BHP and tried a double stack 45. not much success. Went with went with a single stack 45 ACP.
I am impressed with the WC 9mm SA.

Last edited:

45 Ralph

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a couple of STI double stacks. Both 45s. One is a 4.15 barrel the other a 5.0. I EDC them both. In my case it's not an issue.

Attachments

• 20190326_094600.jpg
    20190326_094600.jpg
    213.4 KB · Views: 25

Parausa

Active Fanatic
Double stacks are harder to conceal for me. I have multiples in 9mm from STI, GI and NHC. I am a real NHC fan but the STI grip feels best to me at 60-70% of the price of the others....I also like my WC EDCX9 and it conceals better than any of the other double stacks, just slightly larger under my shirt than a G19. All of the double stacks listed here shoot lights out so that comes down to personal preference...The 9mm is much more contrrollable for me and I am migrating to it and away from my .45's.

Now for a little blasphemy - you might want to check out a Sig Legion P229 9mm SAO. It carries almost identically to the WC EDCX9 and has P229 reliability. Trigger is different than the 1911/2011 trigger but extremely accurate and manageable for me. Sweet shooter

xusmico

Active Fanatic
Double stacks are harder to conceal for me. I have multiples in 9mm from STI, GI and NHC. I am a real NHC fan but the STI grip feels best to me at 60-70% of the price of the others....I also like my WC EDCX9 and it conceals better than any of the other double stacks, just slightly larger under my shirt than a G19. All of the double stacks listed here shoot lights out so that comes down to personal preference...The 9mm is much more contrrollable for me and I am migrating to it and away from my .45's.

Now for a little blasphemy - you might want to check out a Sig Legion P229 9mm SAO. It carries almost identically to the WC EDCX9 and has P229 reliability. Trigger is different than the 1911/2011 trigger but extremely accurate and manageable for me. Sweet shooter
more blasphemy: I have been carring my Sig 226 SAO lately. Due to decades of shooting, CQC, combat injuries my right wrist has sever arthritis. So bad that at time the wrist locks up. can't safely jump aymore. will switch to the WCEDCX when it arrives. The SA is the way to go.

Tactical Rico

Well-Known Fanatic
Well I have to cast my vote for STI.........Doesn't matter whether 9mm or 45 acp. The only problem I had was, I liked the first STI I got (Costa VIP in 9mm) that I had to get the same pistol in 45 acp.......Then I got a DS Tactical 4.0 H.O.S.T 9mm for 3 gun and guess what...I had to get another one in 45 acp. Bottom line is I'd go with STI no matter which caliber you prefer.........only be careful or you'll end up with both !!

TR

Donald hittson

Fanatic

I'm a diehard 1911 guy.. but I just got a different kinda 45acp double stack the FN fnx 45 tactical, 15 rounds of 45 is good to have.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
For me I would not have any interest in getting one and expecting to have to have it smithed to work, done that never again, also kills resale, my Para P14L has been great from day 1 nothing at all done to it but change front sight height. They sent me a free one. In our store we saw many of 1911's that were bought and smithed all a lost $$$ thing for the owners. They just could not understand that it seemed. Same for so many trap and skeet shotguns. Many could have got a new one done right for the same $$$ instead and not took the hit or probably would have kept it, my old saying always get what others like also just incase.

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic
For me I would not have any interest in getting one and expecting to have to have it smithed to work, done that never again, also kills resale, my Para P14L has been great from day 1 nothing at all done to it but change front sight height. They sent me a free one. In our store we saw many of 1911's that were bought and smithed all a lost $$$ thing for the owners. They just could not understand that it seemed. Same for so many trap and skeet shotguns. Many could have got a new one done right for the same $$$ instead and not took the hit or probably would have kept it, my old saying always get what others like also just incase.
I have a Para P-10 .45. I'm not knocking Para. Any that I have are staying I don't usually sell or trade anything that has work done to it. I have it done for me. I look at what I can afford and work with that. I don't spend tons I just change some small items or tune up others.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Just my thoughts as a prior dealer& shooter and was 1 time guilty of the same I admit. My mistake and I paid for it. So many pay for $$$ upgrades and eventually go to a better firearm in the end. I did, guilty as charged there. My mistake was a singlestack 1911.

David D

Active Fanatic
Matt McLearn makes a full size and commander double stack with Cheely E2 grip. He charges 3k. I bought one and it blow's my STI doubles out of the water. You can't get a new STI double stack for that price. I can't say enough good things about it. It is accurate, points well, and the balance with the E2 grip is something special. Don't know what your price range is, but it is worth looking at.

Latest posts