Best 12ga HD Ammo for the wife / 00 or #4 12 Gauge?

KeithCross

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm about to pick up a 12g pump for the wife to use for home defense should she ever need it when the pistol and I are not home. What would be the best round to have in the tube? Buckshot? Slugs? We do have kids and multiple rooms in our home so over-penetration is a concern.

Thanks in advance for the knowledge!

DoctorJJ

Doc's Gun Store
I'll be different and suggest #4 buckshot. Still plenty big to penetrate the bad guy, but not so big that it overpenetrates. You get a lot more pellets too.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
I'll be different and suggest #4 buckshot. Still plenty big to penetrate the bad guy, but not so big that it overpenetrates. You get a lot more pellets too.

This plus chain shotgun or maybe an AA12 and your good to go.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Federal makes a #4 flight control shot as well. That would give somebody a severe case of the red ass!

4 buck is not a bad idea. I use LR slugs in HD guns cause I have no childrens and Ill be aiming if Im shooting.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
low recoil 00 buck for me, but I'm going to look into #4 buck.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
We do have kids and multiple rooms in our home so over-penetration is a concern.

Anything that goes through a person well enough to be worthwhile will go through drywall. The only way for your kids to not get hit by stray shots is to not shoot in their direction.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
I use flight control LR 00 and I have 2 slugs in the side saddle. I know it seems like overkill, but imho, more is more...Id rather have too much than not enough, and I dont have kids, just the dogs. If someone is coming after my wife I want a one shot stop, I dont want her to have to work about winging someone and not killing him and him hurting her or getting away and sueing us...like I have said before, if its an HD/SD weapon, its not getting loaded to instigate a tickling competition, whoever is on the receiving end is going down hard.

KeithCross

Well-Known Fanatic
Anything that goes through a person well enough to be worthwhile will go through drywall. The only way for your kids to not get hit by stray shots is to not shoot in their direction.

I don't necessarily want it to go through a person, I just want it to go into a person...multiple times.

I dont want her to have to work about winging someone and not killing him and him hurting her or getting away and sueing us...

How do you "wing" someone 6 times in a row... *shoot till its dead*

KeithCross

Well-Known Fanatic
I've also heard good things about #1 buck - only slightly smaller shot, but nearly double the amount of shot = more surface area coverage. Any one else ever heard this?

Scott Hearn

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm loaded up with LR 00 buck, but I'm not so sure that's the way to go since I saw on DRTV some ballistic gel tests. 00 buck was just sailing all the way through the gel block and just kept on going. But a 1oz slug was stopping in about 8 or 9 inches due to the extreme expansion. Can you envision radical expansion from a 12ga slug? Ouch... It was pretty much rolling the block off the table too. Damned if I can find the video or remember the specific load but it was a foster type slug. :mad:

Dieseltech09

Well-Known Fanatic
Im going to go against the grain on this one. I bought my wife a semi-auto 20ga for home defense. Its light weight, easy to handle less recoil and loaded with #3 buck has plenty of stopping power and less chance of over penatration with little kids in the house.

From and article by Massad Ayoob

In a buckshot load, the standard for 20 gauge is #3 buck, which consists of twenty pellets, each a quarter inch in diameter. Among common 12-gauge shells, the closest would be the so called "urban police load," #4 buck. This consists of 27 pellets, each .23 caliber. Velocity is roughly the same, whether twelve or twenty gauge.
For home defense purposes, let's say two evil twin men are kicking down the front door, announcing their intent to murder every man, woman, and child in the house. Spouse A fires a round of 12-gauge #4 buckshot and sends 27 .23'' diameter pellets into the chest of the first evil twin. Spouse B unleashes a single round of 20 gauge #3 buckshot, blasting 20 .25" diameter pellets at approximately the same velocity into the thorax of the second evil twin, with all the projectiles penetrating to approximately the same depth.
Who's going to know the difference? Only the medical examiner, and then only after he meticulously counts the white spots on the X-rays, or tallies the number of pellets removed from each corpse.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
I don't necessarily want it to go through a person, I just want it to go into a person...multiple times.

I meant that if something is going to hit a person hard enough to reliably stop them, it's going to go through Sheetrock like paper.

I'm no tactic00l high speed low drag expert, but it seems to me that priority #1 should be to get the kids into the wife's bedroom so that she can be sure she's not shooting in their direction.

Latest posts