Bad experiences with the 1911

Ohrings

Fanatic
My first was a Gold Cup and fry there several surplus 1911's, Since then, a Kimber, Springfield, and then too many to count in the safes. Sometimes one has to stop, get the 1911 book, watch a few Youtubies, talk to those that have shot them for years and start learning that they are simple to operate if cleaned and fed proper ammunition. Don't forget checking the magazines and the springs. Soooooo simple grasshopper

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
My first was a Gold Cup and fry there several surplus 1911's, Since then, a Kimber, Springfield, and then too many to count in the safes. Sometimes one has to stop, get the 1911 book, watch a few Youtubies, talk to those that have shot them for years and start learning that they are simple to operate if cleaned and fed proper ammunition. Don't forget checking the magazines and the springs. Soooooo simple grasshopper

Riiigght...you are acting like I didn't try all that and more. For example, the gunsmith looking at that first Kimber Tactical Ultra II found a bunch of problems. Thinking back there were parts out of spec, thumb safety was incorrectly tuned, inside of slide stop was badly shaped, a burr in the chamber that the Kimber tech didn't bother looking for, incorrectly cut breech face, and worse, incorrectly cut frame such that the barrel infringed into the magazine well. Watching him evaluate the gun was worth far more than the $30 I paid for the hour. He worked on some of the problems with a file, which was nice to see.

Your advice is as bad as Kimber Custom Shop's "Use more lube" note I found in the box after the second or third trip.

Last edited:

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
After a lifetime of match shooting with 1911s' and so few alibies noticed by that huge amount of shooters something seems just not right to me, mine just work and so do all my friends also, that is off the scale as to problems as described as to so many, I do not remember reading if the problem ones worked with factory ball or not just seems with so many repeats of problems something just not right here.

Last edited:

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
Described in message-6.

Suggest the OP check his mags and invest in training specific to the 1911 so his instructors can iron-out the perceived but unmentioned problems.

Shooting only or technician level "1911 Armorer"? Being able to install a thumb safety is a good idea. I am 1 for 3 in this area. I have yet to tune an extractor or mess with the barrel throat. I'd do an extractor since I can order a pile of them from Wilson Combat but I will never mess with any portion of the barrel.

Unfortunately, I've never been able to swing a 1911 class that included some work on the gun. It's a goal and I would take these two guns.

Last edited:

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Shooting only or technician level "1911 Armorer"? Being able to install a thumb safety is a good idea. I am 1 for 3 in this area. I have yet to tune an extractor or mess with the barrel throat. I'd do an extractor since I can order a pile of them from Wilson Combat but I will never mess with any portion of the barrel.

Unfortunately, I've never been able to swing a 1911 class that included some work on the gun. It's a goal and I would take these two guns.
I've done a few basics , total disassembly , but any real machine work is going to a smith . My motto , if it ain't broke , don't fix it . I've seen a few people that thought they knew what they were doing ruin a gun .

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
We shot a match Sat with many 1911's entered I can say the ones on our squad all worked As I said before have you got others to shoot them with ball ammo? I do not remember if I saw an answer? I have Colt, 2 Para, STI, Wilson, and a Swenson all work 100% and have, none of mine work any better than others, all will feed empty cases and semi wadcutters perfectly. You need to let some other good 1911 shooters shoot them with factory ball ammo or what I would do, STILL think something just is not right or this posting is more than meets the eyes it seems to me. I am old and shot most all my life and on a military team several years and never ever saw what has been described here to the max. For me it is hard to understand I will say per described actions your consistent. Maybe a revolver would be a better choice. My shooting partner has about 12 with many Springfield's, Dan Wesson, and R1 Remington and some inexpensive ones also, no issues at all, we shoot lots of ammo and reload, every week. Some of them are were not shot for years now rarely do we not shoot them every single week. We have even loaded flat tipped and flat based bullets and they feed fine, something is not right here for sure, I will say if you really have all this trouble a 1911 is not for you, why I mentioned a revolver earlier. All my 1911s' are 45 my friends has several calibers of 1911's and shot a 9mm in the match.
This was NOT intended b to be a negative posting reply.

Last edited:

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Yes @STI, that's why I have a S&W 625PC. Just to cover all the bases.
We all gravitate to what we like , shoot better , etc . For target shooting I prefer heavier guns , like my Wilson CQB 5 inch all steel or 625 S&W . Arthritis is starting to get best of me and heavier guns absorb shock better .

Latest posts