Bad experiences with the 1911

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Wow! @tomrkba, that is some seriously bad luck with the springfields especially. I once traded into an old 3" springer. it didn't run but I was fortunate that I was able to get it running. It was a lesson learned for me on the ultra small 1911s. While I've had pretty good success with Colt OACPs, I stay with commander and gov't length 1911s exclusively now.

I've owned some of the models you list and , luckily or me, had no issues. I wish you much better success going forward. Not sure I'd give up on the platform but can understand your frustration.

or sell the 1911s and buy a Sig P220 or a Glock 30 or 13 (is that correct model## for a fullsize glock45?)

Last edited:

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
sell off the 1911s and get a sig P220, great pistol or a Glock 30 or 13 (hope thats the correct ## for fulsize 45) not being snarky but it seems you do have bad luck. The listed 45s are great performers.

Mike Galway

Well-Known Fanatic
sell off the 1911s and get a sig P220, great pistol or a Glock 30 or 13 (hope thats the correct ## for fulsize 45) not being snarky but it seems you do have bad luck. The listed 45s are great performers.
Sig 220's are great . Everyone should have one , along with a 226 . My old 226 will digest anything . My 220 is a carry compact , doesn't really like light loads . As long as you're loads are semi close to factory velocity no issues . Extremely accurate for a short gun . My 226 is a 1987 , and has never failed , I'd put it up against any 9mm ever built . JMO

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Sig 220's are great . Everyone should have one , along with a 226 . My old 226 will digest anything . My 220 is a carry compact , doesn't really like light loads . As long as you're loads are semi close to factory velocity no issues . Extremely accurate for a short gun . My 226 is a 1987 , and has never failed , I'd put it up against any 9mm ever built . JMO
I absolutely agree Mike. I've had a few 226s and one 220, the carry version, accurate and reliable. For the person not wanting to "learn" the 1911 platform both are great launchers. Hard for a JMB guy to admit but all true

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Oh, yeah...learned my lesson hard every few years. But their guns look so neat in the case! I still find myself wanting another LW Operator and a Loaded with factory installed night sights (for about $800).
My 1st 1911 was a Loaded, it shot beautifully. Never had any issues with it.

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
Wow! @tomrkba, that is some seriously bad luck with the springfields especially. I once traded into an old 3" springer. it didn't run but I was fortunate that I was able to get it running. It was a lesson learned for me on the ultra small 1911s. While I've had pretty good success with Colt OACPs, I stay with commander and gov't length 1911s exclusively now.

I've owned some of the models you list and , luckily or me, had no issues. I wish you much better success going forward. Not sure I'd give up on the platform but can understand your frustration.

or sell the 1911s and buy a Sig P220 or a Glock 30 or 13 (is that correct model## for a fullsize glock45?)

I already have multiple 45 caliber SIGs, Glocks, and S&W pistols. I have no lack of 45's or risk of not having one :) SIG just refurbed a 1996 P220 for me, did a trigger job, and added night sights for just $300ish total. The new trigger with SRT is excellent.

I should have kept that Colt XSE and stopped there. Then again, the DW Valor Commander 9mm has been a fine gun, as has the T4.

Last edited:

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic

Oh, it is a 1911 curse.

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic

The standard P220 allows for much more slop and feeds hardcast SWC if you do it right. Those loads always made impressive groups, mostly due to the neat holes and terrible shots my friends were when we were young. Then one guy got the new HK USP and proceeded to make 25 yard head shots consistently.

I am looking for a P226 Legion SAO after getting a P229 Legion SAO. I would prefer both guns to be in 357 SIG, but it looks like only 9mm survived their frequent product "realignments". 357 SIG out of my old P229 was laser tight in groupings and the gun soaked up the recoil.

Last edited:

Jeff Edwards

Fanatic
The 1911 pistol is driving me nuts. I have owned quite a few of them over the years to the tune of about $20,000+ in production guns and currently over $11,000 in semi-custom/custom guns. This is only the cost of the guns and doesn't include ammo, range fees, gas, test ammo, sundries, and magazines. Of those, only my Nighthawk T4, Springfield EMP, and Dan Wesson Valor Commander 9mm actually function. My Colt WW I Repro doesn't count as it's unfired (the first one I had, along with an XSE, were great). The T4 and Valor always ran; the EMP needed several trips to SACS to get sorted out. My other custom guns are jamtastic.

I've tried cheap. Then I tried around $1,000 and $1,500. Finally, I tried $2,800-$3,500. Of the expensive ones in the latter category, only the T4 runs. My history shows that I have a total 85% 1911 failure rate! My $400 tupperware guns do what my expensive ones cannot: work! I am wasting too much time, money and energy on this platform.

It's maddening and driving me back to fantastic plastic (or at least my SIG P220).
I have several Kimbers that I love, and depend on. I have one Sig 1776 I could not resist and love it as well.

pistolgrips

Well-Known Fanatic
The 1911 pistol is driving me nuts. I have owned quite a few of them over the years to the tune of about $20,000+ in production guns and currently over $11,000 in semi-custom/custom guns. This is only the cost of the guns and doesn't include ammo, range fees, gas, test ammo, sundries, and magazines. Of those, only my Nighthawk T4, Springfield EMP, and Dan Wesson Valor Commander 9mm actually function. My Colt WW I Repro doesn't count as it's unfired (the first one I had, along with an XSE, were great). The T4 and Valor always ran; the EMP needed several trips to SACS to get sorted out. My other custom guns are jamtastic.

I've tried cheap. Then I tried around $1,000 and $1,500. Finally, I tried $2,800-$3,500. Of the expensive ones in the latter category, only the T4 runs. My history shows that I have a total 85% 1911 failure rate! My $400 tupperware guns do what my expensive ones cannot: work! I am wasting too much time, money and energy on this platform.

It's maddening and driving me back to fantastic plastic (or at least my SIG P220).
Sorry to hear this. Every single one of my 10 (ten) 1911s regardless of price, ranging from 32 auto to 10 mm, are completely without problems of any kind.

Pierre

Well-Known Fanatic
I guess op gave up, hasn't been back since he posted his frustration with the 1911 platform. I guess he'll turn them all in the next time they run a local governmental "buy back" program for $50 each since they're all junk????
Hell I'll buy them for $50...like most of you guys never had a problem with a 1911. I even used to load full wadcutters fired them with a reduced power spring with no problems. Worked on one from a retired trooper buddy. He found it in Korea rusted couldn't get it to work. Redid that sucker with GI parts after taking care of the rust worked like a charm. The rust wasn't as bad as expected. Used brass-wool & kerosene at first.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Same here no problems out of any of mine, Bul Armory, Springfield, RIA, Remington, Desert Eagle, Kimber, all have been and are fine

jimhoag

Well-Known Fanatic
The same thing that's happening at Sig is what happened at Kimber. Ceo Cohen stated buying mim parts from India. He's responsible for Kimber series II. Now he's at Sig buying parts from India.

Vin

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been shooting 1911's since 1980. I do not have an extensive collection like your. My first was a plan Jane black Colt 1911A1 series 70 that I paid 400.00 for new. The only time it didn't work was a bent case. Other wise that gun worked with any type of ammo every single time. I put many rounds through it,It works perfectly. About 3 years ago I figured it was time for another one. This one cost a grand . This one was crushing cases right of the bat , every type of malfunction you can think of and I was using Wilson Combat Mags. Great gun if you want to practice clearing malfunctions. It went back to Colt 3 times and came back the same or worse.I guess their quality control is not what it used to be. That ones gone and I pick up a Springfield RO Elite, awesome gun , no failures. I do have other type of handguns but not beats the 1911 platform.

Latest posts