AR-15 Magazines

PanHandlerFL

Well-Known Fanatic
30rd Magpul Gen 3's and 2's. and aluminum mags by the ammo box full. Staked my life on Magpul and they listen and adjust to mil needs...except when the Marines got banned from using them for a bit due to compatibility. Which IS an issue with Gen 3's and a few high end lowers like some BCM, Noveske, HK 416, SCAR 16 and M27IAR according to PEW PEW Tactical article. I favor "peek-a-look" windows in mags made by Magpul and steel reinforced locking lugs, ++ they make awesome AK47 mags. Durability, years and only update the Springs/followers if they get trashed (not often).

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
PMags, Lancers & D&H are what I've been using.

No complaints.

Hard not to load up on PMAGS at current prices....a dozen 30rd mags delivered to your doorstep for $150-ish.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
PMags, Lancers & D&H are what I've been using.

No complaints.

Hard not to load up on PMAGS at current prices....a dozen 30rd mags delivered to your doorstep for $150-ish.
Agreed. I'm going to order some gen 3's. I thought I would see what you guys say first. I was trying to decide between Pmags and Lancer. The consensus seems to be that Pmags are best.

BillBro68

Well-Known Fanatic
OKAY Industries, Magpul, Lancer and D&H. Not necessarily in that order. The Lancer AW mag is the most underrated mag on the market and is actually probably the best made as far as poly mags go and maybe amongst all materials. OKAY is also top tier and have been around forever.
Experiences? Never ever had an issue with any except the Pmags and those were not functional but just nit-picky issues. Dont let the D&H slip by without consideration. I own 20 and all have and continue to see use. They have Magpul followers.
Look up Chris Bartocci and see his multi-part mag reviews. This man is serious about the m16/AR platform.
Lancer AWFM comes in some cool ass translucent colors too. Just bought 4 more of the red.
ASC is another great mag but I only have those for my 6.8SPC guns because I can load up to 2.3" rounds in them.
Those are about all I have personal knowledge of and I'd wager that none of them will let you down when you need them most.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Lancer(purple), Pmags, Okay Industries, DH, C-Products for different colors, got pink for my daughter's AR and different colors for the other kids, only malfunctioning I've ever had on an AR was a gas problem on my first one, easy fix on that, a PSA so never any mag problems I can recall, I use Pmags for 2 gun, got that bracket that holds 2 of them together for faster reload, really like the metal mags, not that they work any better, just like them, if you blindfolded me and said pick one to use forever any one of the five I would be happy with

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Like most here, I've used a variety of mags for my AR's.. all seem to work about equally well. Like the p Mags for the dust cover that comes with them..they are a nice addition, if you store loads mags.
Recently tried some Lancers..steel lips on a polymer body...best of both types.. here's a write up I wrote for a local gun forum:

Lancer L5 AR-15 223/5.56 Advanced Warfighter Magazines

As I enjoy shooting AR-15's, I've bought many brands of magazines to try in my rifle(s)
Almost every brand i've tried seem to work pretty well. Rarely have had I had any issues with magazines.
Despite this success, I have noticed I like some mags better than others.
My latest find & purchase is the topic of this review.
The Lancer AR magazine is considered a "hybrid" magazine, because they are a polymer mag that has steel lips.
from the Lancer website description :
" Lancer set out to design a better 5.56 magazine; one with the reliability of steel and the durability and weight of polymer.
The L5 Advanced Warfighter Magazine (AWM®) is that magazine. The L5AWM's exclusive hybrid design includes
a hardened steel feed lip assembly molded into a proprietary polymer body with aggressive surface texturing to create
the ultimate rifle magazine tough enough for military, law enforcement, and competition applications."
here's a link to the mags https://gunmagwarehouse.com/lancer-l...-magazine.html

I will say I really like these mags. Load easily, have a smooth, non-tilting, follower that's very easy to load.
They work flawlessly, & seem more durable, than P-mags, having steel lips.Time & use will tell how they hold up.

I'll include a short review from the site where they were purchased..Gun Mag Warehouse. https://gunmagwarehouse.com
I've placed several orders from them. They post order confirmation responses immediately after order is placed.
Withing a day, they send a order status email and tracking information.The 3 orders I made shipped quickly & arrived when tracking said they would.
With the backlogs & delays many retailers have Mag Gun warehouse has provided outstanding service.
They even have some good prices & sales on magazines.

DPM

Well-Known Fanatic
One advantage of Pmags is the availability of wall mounts , much faster accessibility than metal mags in a ammo box ! Also they fit a little better in mag belts or Molly vest. But like everyone else has said never had any problem with the old alum either.

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I have found the Wilson Combat mags to be extremely reliable. Very durable.
I use the the 8 round mags but only load 7.

AR-15 Magazines

But since you mentioned it....why do you download your 8rd mags ?

Did some type of incident lead to this ?

WC also makes a great lo-profile steel based mag that comes closer to a flush fit than that 8rd ETM-style.

Dub

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
LGS had them on sale for 8.99 finally starting to get back to normal !

Does feel good seeing it trend this way.

Problem is that covid infections are occurring at rapid rates....many hospitals already full and on diversion status....and it's in the heat of Summer. Figured we'd been in a safe time of year.

Added to that is the sad fact we have dems at the helm.

If you run across magazines, guns, ammo, reloading components....I'd buy what I wanted now...even at inflated prices. The next year is poised for instability.

I'm generally an optimist, too. :cool:

Vin

Well-Known Fanatic
AR-15 Magazines

But since you mentioned it....why do you download your 8rd mags ?

Did some type of incident lead to this ?

WC also makes a great lo-profile steel based mag that comes closer to a flush fit than that 8rd ETM-style.
I have not had any issues when I loaded 8, they work fine fully loaded. I was advised by someone who has extensive military and police background to download by one. I will check out the link-profile ones , thanks.