Anyone run the Wilson low ride thumb safety?

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Being a thumb safety rider I tend to sometimes get "choked up" on the grip safety too much when drawing on the clock, especially in the summer when my hands get sticky during a match.

I just saw these for the first time, and ordered one. It will be interesting to see how it feels.

6SLLBP.jpg

AZ Husker

Well-Known Fanatic
Be aware that most good holsters are not boned for a low safety. Check to make sure it doesn't come disengaged.

Reactions: WWB

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
I like how the ergos look on that Harrison. I've got a Wilson Bulletproof wide paddle on my primary match blaster (Springfield) and the part literally dropped in with zero fitting. Who'da thunk it.
Anyway, I ordered the Wilson in the low ride iteration since hopefully it will drop right in as well. We'll see.

apipeguy

Well-Known Fanatic
I like how the ergos look on that Harrison. I've got a Wilson Bulletproof wide paddle on my primary match blaster (Springfield) and the part literally dropped in with zero fitting. Who'da thunk it.
Anyway, I ordered the Wilson in the low ride iteration since hopefully it will drop right in as well. We'll see.

I have installed quite a few thumb safeties and have never found a "drop in" and probably would not trust or want one that did and was not properly fitted. Too important of a part. Just my two cents.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
I have installed quite a few thumb safeties and have never found a "drop in" and probably would not trust or want one that did and was not properly fitted. Too important of a part. Just my two cents.
I've fit just four. I shoot about 10-12,000 rounds a year, and SO/shoot probably 40 matches a year. I'm not a gun smith, but this Bulletproof dropped in this Springfield like it came from the factory that way. Another BulletProof of identical specs (except blued instead of SS) required fitting in a Colt Government, and I am still not happy with that one. An Ed Brown required considerable fitting to get it in a Fusion, but works just as it should now. Could've been the gun, the part, or me.

This BulletProof low ride thumb safety will be going in the same Springfield that the last Bulletproof dropped in. I'll report here once I get it in. Maybe lightening won't strike twice. We'll see.

Last edited:

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
With the Wilson wide paddle Bulletproof safety still installed, and the new low ride safety held next to it.

IMG_1675.JPG

And installed on the stainless Springer below, next to a Colt with blued wide paddle Wilson Bulletproof (which is what I had in the Springer). Not as weird feeling as I thought it would be. I'll run it in the Buccaneer match Saturday.
fullsizeoutput_ae2.jpeg

And it dropped right in, like it was custom fit to this gun, just like the one that was in it. Only happens with this Range Officer. They were both Bulletproof safeties, but it required a fair amount of fitting for the Colt and I'm still not totally happy with it, but it works. That might have something to do with the fact I cut the frame tangs and fit a beavertail to the Colt also.

deadguy

Active Fanatic
These are Grayson EGW lowered safeties. Very comfortable and the curved paddle allows my to get my thumb on top pointed straight ahead when firing. No holster issues.
abb9d55f0b449cb799bcbb60a66a7a03.jpg
08275031fdb0263c8a8ff1a15c440b11.jpg

I believe Joe used a Cylinder and Slide thumb safety on this one, and you'll notice it is in a similar position when off. Very comfortable as well.
bdba169bfd81a751178a4b05c9a9b87f.jpg

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
I liked the first Wilson low lever thumb safety so much I bought another and just finished fitting it in this Fusion. I had WC Armor Tuff coat it in black ($5) to match the matte finish of the gun, otherwise they come blued or stainless.
fullsizeoutput_aff.jpeg

Last edited:

apipeguy

Well-Known Fanatic
Impressed that the charge was only $5 for the AT. Was there any need to modify the grip to accommodate the low safety.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Impressed that the charge was only $5 for the AT. Was there any need to modify the grip to accommodate the low safety.
They turned it around quick considering they AT parts in batches, and not "one offs".
As for mods to the grip, none for the safety. VZ Operator II's
I did have to mod the grips for the Fusion extended slide release earlier (off screen). And the safety did require a fair amount of fitting, unlike the Range Officer where I think I just got lucky. (although that is the second BP thumb safety that dropped in the RO)

IMG_1710.JPG

Latest posts