Any opinions on the Norinco 1911 A-1?

Streak Eagle

Fanatic
I purchased a Norinco 1911 A-1 back in the '90's, chucked it into my safe and forgot it. I've recently taken it out and have been shooting it. The thing double fires at least once during a range session. I believe it has a disconnect/sear problem and know that I'll have to take it to a qualified gunsmith. My question is would it be worth investing the money to have it gone through, replace sights and make it a reliable shooter or should I sell it and look elsewhere? Any opinion would be appreciated. Thanks.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
I sure would not invest more in it, money gone either a SA or Ruger money wise better investment for me if I needed another 1911 have 6.

Last edited:

pistolgrips

Well-Known Fanatic
I purchased a Norinco 1911 A-1 back in the '90's, chucked it into my safe and forgot it. I've recently taken it out and have been shooting it. The thing double fires at least once during a range session. I believe it has a disconnect/sear problem and know that I'll have to take it to a qualified gunsmith. My question is would it be worth investing the money to have it gone through, replace sights and make it a reliable shooter or should I sell it and look elsewhere? Any opinion would be appreciated. Thanks.
I realize this is an old post, but it may be as simple as a sear spring adjustment. That's a real easy problem to diagnose and really easy to fix. At any rate, if you do sell it make the buyer aware of it's issues.

Daddy A

New Fanatic
I have opted to get a latest model NORINCO, after about two decades of owning their earlier mil-spec offering, and found it to be a lot more refined, than its brother of yesteryears.

I have made an operator's review of my new NORINCO, which could be found at:

I hope that you find it. informative.

I am from where the Rock Islands and Citadels are made, as well as Metro Arms and Shooter's, but I opted for the NORINCO because of its forged 5100 Tool Steel material. It also does not make use of MIM parts, which are prone to breakage.

In terms of cosmetics, the NORINCO might not win any awards, but it's toughness is second to none, often being frowned upon by gunsmiths for it wears down their tool bits fast.

Another thing that interested me is that it works, out of the box, and is reliable, even without any customization work done.

And for less than USD 400, I would say that it's a great value for money.

Last edited:

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Get an estimate on whet you wish to have done by a qualified smith then use that to make your decision, what you spend probably would never be recovered in resale. Myself NO I would use the funds on another.

Streak Eagle

Fanatic
I have opted to get a latest model NORINCO, after about two decades of owning their earlier mil-spec offering, and found it to be a lot more refined, than its brother of yesteryears.

I have made an operator's review of my new NORINCO, which could be found at:

I hope that you find it. informative.

I am from where the Rock Islands and Citadels are made, as well as Metro Arms and Shooter's, but I opted for the NORINCO because of its forged 5100 Tool Steel material. It also does not make use of MIM parts, which are prone to breakage.

In terms of cosmetics, the NORINCO might not win any awards, but it's toughness is second to none, often being frowned upon by gunsmiths for it wears down their tool bits fast.

Another thing that interested me is that it works, out of the box, and is reliable, even without any customization work done.

And for less than USD 400, I would say that it's a great value for money.
Thanks very much for your detailed report. I thought that Norincos were banned during the Clinton debacle, so it's good to hear they're still available. I really like the enlarged ejection port and the ambidextrous safety. Thanks again.

Streak Eagle

Fanatic
I realize this is an old post, but it may be as simple as a sear spring adjustment. That's a real easy problem to diagnose and really easy to fix. At any rate, if you do sell it make the buyer aware of it's issues.
Is a sear spring adjustment an easy fix? I'd like to find some info regarding that possibility because it's a reoccurring problem. Thanks.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Increase sear tension with leaf spring bending the sear leaf a little forward usually all you need to do. you may have to remove the hammer spring housing to get it out, normally clears grip safety, not always. If no fix notch needs to be redone and top of sear. It don't take much remember.

Last edited:

22ConversionUnut

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks very much for your detailed report. I thought that Norincos were banned during the Clinton debacle, so it's good to hear they're still available. I really like the enlarged ejection port and the ambidextrous safety. Thanks again.
The poster is in the Philippines.

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Always remember what you normally invest never comes back in resale go with quality from the start, we saw so many guns come in our shop with enough dollars invested in them they could have started our with a good one from the start and we made offers most were very low and hurt the owners as to what they lost in investment, I have a 1911 that I bought new a quality pistol that now will easily sell for over double what I paid new and my STI will easily bring 50% more than I paid new also, I am not innocent as I also learned the hard way to. A lesson I never forgot.
If I was starting out now with a 1911 A used STI Trogan would be it or a new Ruger a little cheaper.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't know what you paid for your Norinco, but I do know that they are worth considerably more now, then they were..I believe this to be because they are desired because they used good steel in the frames & slides, many want them as a starting point for a custom build.
I f you want to build a custom or "race" gun, it'd be a good starting point. I believe the issue you have is a very minor thing..any gunsmith with 1911 knowledge should be able to fix it quickly & @ little cost..IMO. Check Gunbroker, to see what sellers are asking for theirs..

hipowr

Fanatic
I had a Norinco back in the 90's when they were cheap and plentiful. I still kinda miss that gun. It always worked 100%. Accuracy out of the box was a little poor to say the least. I dropped an old Wilson/Dwyer Group Gripper in it. After that, it shot as well as any 1911 I have ever owned, shooting 1 hole groups at 15 yards all day long. It always functioned, and never gave me any issues. I got much more into nicer 1911's and parted ways with it. Assuming you have about $400 or less into it, which is what they went for in the 90's, it is probably worth more now. It is also likely to be a decent shooter for you. I would say to try and correct the issue you're having and either enjoy it, or let someone else enjoy it.

AJ

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
This place has great prices on mags.. if they have what you want in stock..some inventory sells out quickly..probably because of their low prices..
I'm a fan of Mec_Gar mags.. they're a company that makes the factory brand mags for a lot of companies, USA mfrg. & European.
I'd suggest trying a few different brands , to see if you (or your pistol) like a particular brand.
gunmagwarehouse.com

cxm

Active Fanatic
I have a friend who had a Norinco (which we call his "pachinco" that had the same problem with doubling. He took it to a local 1911 Smith who fixed the doubling problem but discovered the barrel lugs did not properly mesh with the lugs in the slide... the gun was basically locking with half of a single lug. The smiff fixed it and it shoots fine now... but it should not have left the factory like that.

As to a little rattle in the gun (loose slide) I would not let that bother me at all... in fact some looseness was common in Colt made 1911s, which also made them very reliable.

To me the Armscor (Rock Island etc.) made 1911 gun is the closest thing on the market today to the basic GI 1911A1. I mostly buy Colt's but I bought an Armscor 1911A1 GI model and a Commander version for knock around shooting... both are great guns and the price was great at less than $400 each!!! I recommend them highly.

V/r

Chuck

Last edited: