An interesting / unusual range day on Monday..

dennishoddy

I've had a ton of unusual/different range days that it's hard to count.
I was range VP for three years and President of the 300 member club for 4 years before giving it up to travel after retirement.
We did 5 years of Women on Target programs where women that had little to no firearm experience would come to the range to learn using the instructors firearms.
Basic .22 semi automatic and revolvers. That was my station. They learned proper safety, handling, sight picture, grip, and finally shooting at a target. Every age group from teen to 90 yrs old.
Next station was center fire pistols. The next station was center fire rifles. The AR platform being the rifle. Next station was shotguns on clay targets.
The final station was they got to touch off one round from a Barrette .50 BMG rifle.
Outside the range, assisted the Oklahoma Wildlife Department conducting classes once again for women that had their own pistols, wanting to advance their skills and hopefully kill some bad habits they had acquired.
Saw some good natural shooters and saw a lot of bad advice others had been given to make them poor shooters that was worked on to correct.
One of the techniques was to bring the ladies that were afraid of the gun to the line, telling them to pause for a bit and in their mind, put an image of an old boyfriend or ex that did them wrong, and superimpose that image on the target.
Without fail, the group sizes would become half the size because they got focus and concentration to keep the sights on the target vs being scared of the recoil and report.
There are many more unusual days at the range but I've rambled long enough. Lol.

philmo11

Well-Known Fanatic
Sounds like a good day. I get a lot of newbies out here. Spent a lot of range days giving instruction rather than shooting myself. Satisfying experience every time. What they learned today could save a life later.

Pastors and guns has always been a discussion of controversy. Personally, I encourage everyone to learn to shoot and handle guns. I had a young pastor once that was a National Guardsman while being a pastor. The congregation stepped up when he was deployed to fulfill his duties at home. He went on to build his own guns later on.

Got a fairly close friend who is also a pastor. His view on guns is pretty much the same as mine. Guns can put food on the table, and at times, be used to defend the family and the flock (so to speak). Evil is in the heart of the man, not the gun.

Personally, I'd never slip a round in randomly. I might let them shoot the 2 back to back but they'd know exactly where it was, not at random. First time anyone shoots a high power round out here, it's followed by an empty chamber. Not
knowing what to expect can cause accidents.

Pappy

Well-Known Fanatic
That is a great story Joe, Thanks so much for posting. I took my cousin who was visiting from Holland to the range and we had a blast. He was really looking forward to shooting a AR15 so I brought one of my Rifles .223 Wylde, One of my AR pistols in 300 blackout, and my 1911 .45 cal. he had a blast shooting all 3. the next summer his sister ( my other cousin ) came to visit with her 16 year old son. He had heard the stories of his uncles range trip with me the year before and wanted to go too. So we went and he had more fun than his uncle. He had never shot an AR or a 1911 either. he didn't want to stop when it was time for us to go home and meet the others for lunch, so we stayed another hour. He went through about 300 rounds that day. we had a great time and I learned how limited they are with guns in Holland, So glad I Live in U.S.A. !! Joe's story is even better.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Sounds like a good day. I get a lot of newbies out here. Spent a lot of range days giving instruction rather than shooting myself. Satisfying experience every time. What they learned today could save a life later.

Pastors and guns has always been a discussion of controversy. Personally, I encourage everyone to learn to shoot and handle guns. I had a young pastor once that was a National Guardsman while being a pastor. The congregation stepped up when he was deployed to fulfill his duties at home. He went on to build his own guns later on.

Got a fairly close friend who is also a pastor. His view on guns is pretty much the same as mine. Guns can put food on the table, and at times, be used to defend the family and the flock (so to speak). Evil is in the heart of the man, not the gun.

Personally, I'd never slip a round in randomly. I might let them shoot the 2 back to back but they'd know exactly where it was, not at random. First time anyone shoots a high power round out here, it's followed by an empty chamber. Not
knowing what to expect can cause accidents.
Great idea

philmo11

Well-Known Fanatic
Great idea
In my experience, a major cause of double tap isn't just the hard recoil like experienced shooters do, where it's really quick bump fire, It's that perception the gun is slipping because of the "surprise" causes the shooter to grab at the gun causing a delayed double tap. That short pause between them is a dead giveaway.

In either case, I alway ask. If they've never fired anything that stout, in that first cylinder, every shot is separated by an empty chamber.

I once had a CCW instructor out here I did that to. At first, he just grinned and blew it off. That first shot tore through his glove and took the skin off his knuckle. He thanked me afterward.

Last edited:

Bourbon&Bullets

Fanatic
What a great story. Hard to beat sharing God, guns and good times. Disheartening as I don't hear/see people sharing the Word very often with others these days and it's fantastic that you and the Pastor are out doing the Lord's work in a special way. God bless and keep at it!

I was at a range and Tonitown Arkansas and was breaking in my 10mm Delta Elite and two gentlemen walked up behind me and when I got done I laid it down and they walked up behind me and asked could they see it and they looked at it for a few minutes and turns me and said it's nice to see a real gun. Here it is, I have had Nighthawk do some work to it on the front grip and plan on sending it back and having some more work done, thank you

Attachments

• Resized_20200826_153149_265388331665688.jpeg
    Resized_20200826_153149_265388331665688.jpeg
    617.5 KB · Views: 0
I was at a range and Tonitown Arkansas and was breaking in my 10mm Delta Elite and two gentlemen walked up behind me and when I got done I laid it down and they walked up behind me and asked could they see it and they looked at it for a few minutes and turns me and said it's nice to see a real gun. Here it is, I have had Nighthawk do some work to it on the front grip and plan on sending it back and having some more work done, thank you
Oh yes and later on I found out they were FBI agents

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Wow, how bout that! You just never know who will come over to check out your handguns

nightstryke

Well-Known Fanatic
Wow, lots of great stories here, I don't have any great stories myself. And as I don't want to make anyone jealous, I'll just say I don't visit Public Ranges enough to share stories like this. :(

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
Wow, lots of great stories here, I don't have any great stories myself. And as I don't want to make anyone jealous, I'll just say I don't visit Public Ranges enough to share stories like this. :(
No time like the present to change that.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't shoot @ a"public" range, I belong to a club (O.C.S.C.) which requires you be a member, or a guest of a member (in attendance) to use any of the ranges.
here's a link..for anyone curious : https://ocsc.club/

Been a member for about 30 yrs., I joined some time after moving back to S.E. Mi. in '86-'87 & visited a public range X 1.. then joined OCSC.
A lot has changed @ the club since I joined, most changes improved the club..IMO

I noticed the last few yrs. there are fewer & fewer shooters @ the indoor & outdoor ranges.
I believe this was due to steep increase in ammo cost, + shortage of loading components..i.e. primers.
Shooters @ the range were mostly shooting .22's.
In summer, using outdoor range in a.m. or early afternoon, I was often the only shooter @ the range.
Also the indoor pistol range is open 24 hrs., so I'd often go to the range after 10p.m. on weekdays.
No traffic on the 17 mi. drive to & from the range @ that time, and also often had the range to myself.
(probably shouldn't be posting that..LOL )

Nice having the range to yourself..again, IMO.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Beautiful gun!
I don't shoot @ a"public" range, I belong to a club (O.C.S.C.) which requires you be a member, or a guest of a member (in attendance) to use any of the ranges.
here's a link..for anyone curious : https://ocsc.club/

Been a member for about 30 yrs., I joined some time after moving back to S.E. Mi. in '86-'87 & visited a public range X 1.. then joined OCSC.
A lot has changed @ the club since I joined, most changes improved the club..IMO

I noticed the last few yrs. there are fewer & fewer shooters @ the indoor & outdoor ranges.
I believe this was due to steep increase in ammo cost, + shortage of loading components..i.e. primers.
Shooters @ the range were mostly shooting .22's.
In summer, using outdoor range in a.m. or early afternoon, I was often the only shooter @ the range.
Also the indoor pistol range is open 24 hrs., so I'd often go to the range after 10p.m. on weekdays.
No traffic on the 17 mi. drive to & from the range @ that time, and also often had the range to myself.
(probably shouldn't be posting that..LOL )

Nice having the range to yourself..again, IMO.
I agree with the last statement wholeheartedly. I shoot on our clubs indoor/ outdoor pistol range by myself pretty much every time I'm there. We shoot from inside a building but the targets are 50 feet down range. When it's nice enough I'll shoot at our outdoor range 7 - 200 yards. A beautiful club. We also have skeet and trap ranges.

Turkey

Well-Known Fanatic
What an amazing story - I wish there were more stories like this, especially with younger folks who could learn to appreciate range time and respect a firearm's place in our society.

Thank you for sharing!

Carl Humphreys

Fanatic
My most memorable range day was not the usual. I was asked by my grand daughter to take her shooting so she would be ready for her concealed handgun license test. She also wanted to bring her 72 your on grandmother. (My sons exmother in law) There were 6 of us all together. There were around 18 fire arms. We shot rifles, pistols and shotguns. Fixed targets moving targets in the creek, and skeet.

This 72 year old lady, whom had never touched a firearm, and did not even like to get near one, had a great time. Everyone greared towards teacher her. She was very afraid of that evil black gun. That AR style one. It took a lot of work by eveeryone to get her to touch it.

At the end of the day we all had a great day, and said we were going to do it again.

This Lady had changed her view of firearms and has become a shooter.

Latest posts