An interesting / unusual range day on Monday..

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
trying to find the best forum to post this in, decided it closest fit here : a report on my last range trip.. as below:

Monday was a beautiful sunny day in my area of S.E. Mi..I'd agreed to help a new minister(Trevor) that has started a "His House" ministry @ nearby
Oakland University. His House is a Christian ministry serving young people that are seeking help or support in their walk with God.
As I'm a Christian, I decided I should help Trevor, when he asked if I could facilitate an outing to go shoot rifles & pistols @ my Gun club with a group of international students @ O.U. I agreed to help, so met Trevor with 3 young men, 1 from Morocco, 1 from Nepal, and 1 from Serbia..(he was the only one who'd fired a gun before, once shot a relative's full-auto AK-47). Others had no firearm experience @ all.

It was a blast watching the smiles & laughs from them all as our day progressed. I provided a lot of instruction, observation & direction for their
activities. I shot very little, spending my time demonstrating how to load mags, insert mags, work actions, engage & disengage safeties, properly aim,
& shoot...after 1st having a lengthy discussion on firearm safety. We spent about 2 hrs. on talking, answering questions, getting demonstrations on
gun handling, etc..plus some info on different ammo types,..rimfire vs centerfire, etc.

They then got to take turns shooting a Ruger 22 semi auto pistol, a Ruger Security Six revolver(.357) shooting light 38 Spec. target loads, and .38 Spec.
std.velocity loads for a comparison.They also shot an XDS in 9mm for some more semi-auto experience. Pistol shooting was done @ 7 yds.

They then moved back to 50 ft. line, & shot a single shot bolt action.22, a Marlin semi auto .22 rifle, a S&W 15-22 ( a AR-15 copy that shoots 22 rimfire) ,
and a Heavy barrel Savage bolt action .22.. (my tack driver). All were impressed with it's accuracy.

After a cold water drink break, we moved to the 25 yd. outdoor range, for a little more challenge with the .22 rifles, and also to try a centerfire rifle,
which happened to be a S&W M&P -15, (.223)...so they could "get their Rambo on"..

They also got to shoot the Ruger revolver outdoors, but this time I told them I was going to surprise them & add a .357 mag round into the cylinder,
to see if they could tell the difference when it was fired. That was good for a smile and laugh by them all. No one had an issue being able to distinguish which round was the .357, when it was fired.

Can't remember when I made a 5 hr.+ long range trip, shot so little, yet had so much fun.
The O.U. students were taking pics & shooting videos of each other shooting with their phones, so they could share their experiences.
It was a great day. Made me appreciate the freedom we still have in America, that isn't available in other parts of the world.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Took me some time to get this.. a picture taken in the parking lot of my club, with the young men Trevor & I took to the range that day.
Trevor's wearing the ball cap, I'm the hunched-over white-haired one. Mohsen (the group Rambo) is from Kurdistan, Pradip is from Nepal (beside me)
and Mehdi is from Morocco. All are engineering students @ Oakland University..where Trevor is heading the O.U. branch of His House Christian Fellowship.
Trevor,  Mohsen,Pradip, Mehdi.jpg

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Took me some time to get this.. a picture taken in the parking lot of my club, with the young men Trevor & I took to the range that day.
Trevor's wearing the ball cap, I'm the hunched-over white-haired one. Mohsen (the group Rambo) is from Kurdistan, Pradip is from Nepal (beside me)
and Mehdi is from Morocco. All are engineering students @ Oakland University..where Trevor is heading the O.U. branch of His House Christian Fellowship.
View attachment 34641
God Bless you and yours Joe.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
View attachment 34641
Outstanding! I hope you all had a great day!

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Joe what a great range day, sharing Christian stories feels like a thing of the past, this is really an awesome story! One of my best range days last year wanted me to assist in his oldest son's bachelor party, a day at the range with 5 of his buddies, obviously no alcohol involved! 2-3 had some experience, one almost none, the soon to be husband raised with firearms so he was great. None had any experience with competition shooting so a safety meeting just like a match, first we did an IDPA 25 rd classifier, they thought this greatest thing, none had ever shot with a shot timer or drawing from a holster, we did spend some time with drawing and reholstering after pistol cleared, the least experienced did great, took his time and very safe, then I set up a small stage with 12 rds, six targets, just one movement to 2nd shooting position. My buddy very experienced also so he helped me with safety, he caught onto competition rules and all safety rules very fast, his son and his buddies said one of best days ever! I brought 2 Glock 34's, a Glock 21, a 17 and 2 G 45's and couldn't leave out my Desert Eagle 9mm and a Kimber Custom 2 45 acp, couple had optics so they could give that a try also, had to keep the stage short so nobody got bored but it was a good day, like you Joe I was wiped out when it was done but well worth it, pretty long post so apologies for that but great spending time with these young kids, mid twenties give or take and all of them go to same church together

Master Gunworks

Active Fanatic
trying to find the best forum to post this in, decided it closest fit here : a report on my last range trip.. as below:
Great Job Joe! Fellowship with other Christians and the joy & freedom of shooting. The only thing I could think would have made it better is if I was able to be there sharing the experience. Great job and God bless

nod

Active Fanatic
Great post Joe! A person almost never hears anything about God anymore. Perhaps "we the people" need to start going back to church and learning more about God to turn this country around.

I never really had an unusual range day. My best time was a couple of times I went to an old sandpit and shot with my day. I had fun over the years just out shooting make shift targets with my buddies. Never went to an actual range until I was 39 years old.

Snowman45

Fanatic
This is a great story of being able to spread valuable knowledge, expertise and insight to those who have not been as fortunate as many of us being able to enjoy the sport and discipline of shooting. Joe's efforts are commendable and time well spent in that it appeared to open a whole new world to his students. It is likely an experience they will not soon forget.

As a police range master/instructor for many years, I can attest to sense of accomplishment found in being able to introduce others to shooting and instructing them in safety, safe carry and manipulation, and appropriate firearms use. Because of this and my many years in active law enforcement I was asked by my paster to head up our church's security unit. Although most members had experience with firearms, none had any experience in law enforcement or private security. Outside of the basic requirements including the CWP class, most had little formal training.

We went into a safe location I use in the desert and had several hours of training in firearms safety, handling, concealment and basic shooting skills. This was our first outing as a team, and was merely intended as an introduction, with much more in-depth training and qualification to follow. We all had a good time, and many agreed that there was important considerations discussed that will prove valuable to anyone carrying a firearm.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
This is a great story of being able to spread valuable knowledge, expertise and insight to those who have not been as fortunate as many of us being able to enjoy the sport and discipline of shooting. Joe's efforts are commendable and time well spent in that it appeared to open a whole new world to his students. It is likely an experience they will not soon forget.

As a police range master/instructor for many years, I can attest to sense of accomplishment found in being able to introduce others to shooting and instructing them in safety, safe carry and manipulation, and appropriate firearms use. Because of this and my many years in active law enforcement I was asked by my paster to head up our church's security unit. Although most members had experience with firearms, none had any experience in law enforcement or private security. Outside of the basic requirements including the CWP class, most had little formal training.

We went into a safe location I use in the desert and had several hours of training in firearms safety, handling, concealment and basic shooting skills. This was our first outing as a team, and was merely intended as an introduction, with much more in-depth training and qualification to follow. We all had a good time, and many agreed that there was important considerations discussed that will prove valuable to anyone carrying a firearm.
You sound like you have a great Pastor. I'm glad he asked you to do security for the congregation. I truly wish many more pastors would be thus enlightened. A lot of them seem to think there's something wrong with guarding the flock. No figuring the majority of folks anymore. God bless and keep you folks all safe. One of my very favorite sayings is…of course God has this handled, but He doesn't expect you to stand with your shovel in hand praying for a hole. Stay safe

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
You sound like you have a great Pastor. I'm glad he asked you to do security for the congregation. I truly wish many more pastors would be thus enlightened. A lot of them seem to think there's something wrong with guarding the flock. No figuring the majority of folks anymore. God bless and keep you folks all safe. One of my very favorite sayings is…of course God has this handled, but He doesn't expect you to stand with your shovel in hand praying for a hole. Stay safe
Sorry for double entry.

Buck Buck

Well-Known Fanatic
Joe,
Loved your range report ! Truly 'on target that day' in a way that will have impact for haven knows how long. !
Last Church (med to large S Calif church), I signed up for Safety / Security team, which was loosely connected to both Greeters and Ushers for every service, with quick rundown of leader of the day / Service, Special guest or Activity, i.e. baptisms, guest missions, etc. AND - before service prayer and requests. TMI - I know. But I was 'door monitor' to Pre K Children's Ministry area. Parents all had a 'receipt' for their child for entry and exit that matched the tag pinned on child's clothing. (safety , security, custody, divorces, etc. Yes - we actually allowed sinners to visit and attend ;-) Knew the other security, CCWs, LEOs, Doctors, Nurses, EMTs, etc. Also got to know parents and many of the kiddos - a real blessing in itself !
Church also had Common Interest Groups. With a leader and backup (both vetted and approved) ALMOST any interest could unite group: Cancer patients, off-roading, rock climbing, ice cream eating, best tacos,, new to area, college students, and a Shooting Group, and many other diverse areas !
Guess which one I co-chaired and became group leader / facilitator for ? You guessed it. Twice a month, one weeknight and one weekend Saturday morning at an indoor shooting range, FT3
( Field Time Tactical & Training ) one of Orange County's best indoor ranges. Seriously! Real nice place, Great equipment, Great staff & training, competitive prices, PLUS they allowed pistols, rifles and shotguns - within some guidelines.
Never have seen so many smiles, had so much fun, and appreciation. Best ever with Jesus at the head. Mostly new shooters, many females, over half I'd say, and starting with Browning Buck Mark .22 Pistol, for recoil ease, comfort, and low recoil impact. Then on to AR-15 for virtually no recoil, and very smooth action. (Many changed opinions of what they had always heard about this rifle) And then in between plenty of 9 mm sharing and shooting with other experienced shooters.
For me, plenty of training on stance, grip, sighting, trigger pull, and benefits of dry fire training at home. Some general comments on selecting a gun, and other questions, with only a little personal shooting. BUT, we all left with Big Smiles. They also left with Confidence not fear (especially in regards to the AR) new friends, Jesus, and a closing prayer. Fond memories ALWAYS! What a Blessing.!
Praise God for His Redemption and Adoption into His Family & Chosen people !

Last edited: