ammo

HOLY DIVER

Well-Known Fanatic
just wondering how much ammo everybody is keeping in reserve. i personaly keep 2000rds of 223 that i don't touch and 500rds of .40 that i don't touch. think i need to add to the 223 reserve but realy i don't think that having to much will hurt anything lol

Pathfinder2012

Active Fanatic
Soviet Republic of South Carolina (SRSC)"Lexington
I have 2 ways Of doing this. In my bug out bag i keep 120 rounds of 7.62x39 loading in Mags, along with 100 of 40 cal + loaded mags. I keep my Supply As mobile as possible cause when SHTF and i have to leave in a hurry, i can. And in keeping my Reserve "if i can stay at home" Over 8000 Rounds In 7.62 and 2000 40 cal. I have stashed away still in factory crates.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
HOLY DIVER said:
just wondering how much ammo everybody is keeping in reserve. i personaly keep 2000rds of 223 that i don't touch and 500rds of .40 that i don't touch. think i need to add to the 223 reserve but realy i don't think that having to much will hurt anything lol

Working on it, a bit at a time. Buy more than I shoot. Try Ace Hardware in Woodruff (not too far for you) for the 223. They stock those 420 rd cans of Lake City for $159. Tell Tom some boys from Laurens sent you.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Pathfinder2012 said:
I have 2 ways Of doing this. In my bug out bag i keep 120 rounds of 7.62x39 loading in Mags, along with 100 of 40 cal + loaded mags. I keep my Supply As mobile as possible cause when SHTF and i have to leave in a hurry, i can. And in keeping my Reserve "if i can stay at home" Over 8000 Rounds In 7.62 and 2000 40 cal. I have stashed away still in factory crates.

So is there any harm in storing loaded mags long term? I mean, is there any evidence it will weaken the spring or anything of that nature? Speaking of springs, should guns be stored with springs compressed, or should you close the bolt and drop the hammer?

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
Military arms room storage procedure is that the weapon is stored with no tension on any spring. I dry fire ALL my weapons (after clearing them for sure) and store them with no tension.

As far as magazines, I have an AK-47 in a hiding spot in my house (in case of a break-in or something), and I have 25 rounds in each 30 round magazine. I do not fully compress any magazine spring, even with my carry weapon. In my XD I'm carrying as I type this, I have 8 rounds in the 10 round magazine.

If you do keep magazines loaded in a "bug out" bag, I would suggest not keeping them fully loaded, and removing the rounds weekly and make sure the springs are stretched .

thebrasilian

Well-Known Fanatic
I do have an engineering background and stayed at a holiday inn express once...I the springs in the magazines are properly designed, there should be no problem with the springs losing any tension while compressed. Cycling or over stressing is the nemesis of springs.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
thebrasilian said:
I do have an engineering background and stayed at a holiday inn express once...I the springs in the magazines are properly designed, there should be no problem with the springs losing any tension while compressed. Cycling or over stressing is the nemesis of springs.

So contrary to the previous POV, taking them out once a week is actually decreasing the life of the spring. I guess there could be considerations more compelling than the spring: lubrication, debris, readiness, etc. to store a firearm in a particular state. For some unknown reason, I feel more comfortable storing things with all stored energy sources in their expended state. Except a few mags and shotgun tube.

JUST REALIZED, I HIJACKED THIS THREAD! Sorry. Now, how much ammo do you keep on hand, and how much RTF in mags? How many rounds could you fire right now w/o reloading, i.e. how many actually in a gun RTF?

HOLY DIVER

Well-Known Fanatic
i keep 8-30rd mags rtf mags for the AR and 1-30rd rtf in the mag-well.might i add they are all p-mags but the colr of the mags are different.....lol

fordnut

Well-Known Fanatic
With My primary AR-15, I keep a loaded mag in the gun, and 15 30 rounders next to it...Hope that is enough.

In the secondary...only have about 10 loaded mags.....but, it is close to handgun back-ups...

I am not paranoid...just like to be a good Boy Scout...

Steve

Pathfinder2012

Active Fanatic
bigfutz said:
Pathfinder2012 said:

So is there any harm in storing loaded mags long term? I mean, is there any evidence it will weaken the spring or anything of that nature? Speaking of springs, should guns be stored with springs compressed, or should you close the bolt and drop the hammer?
No the Only way Mag Springs will Weaken is by Compression and Decompression, There is not harm what so ever in keeping loaded mags. And it sounds like to me you are Underestimation The firearms Springs as well. Your springs will be fine

Hambone

Active Fanatic
I try to keep enough ammo in my bag that makes it mobile. I do not want to be weighted down with a ton of ammo. In that same aspect, all magazines are around 80% full at all times. I also try to minimize different size calibers so there is no problems if SHTF

HOLY DIVER

Well-Known Fanatic
Hambone said:
I try to keep enough ammo in my bag that makes it mobile. I do not want to be weighted down with a ton of ammo. In that same aspect, all magazines are around 80% full at all times. I also try to minimize different size calibers so there is no problems if SHTF
i agree keep it simple

Hambone

Active Fanatic
bigfutz said:
Hambone said:
I also try to minimize different size calibers so there is no problems if SHTF

Aside from the collectibles, I've committed to 308, 223, 45ACP, 38SPL, 12GA.

My opinion, (strictly that) is that you have too many same "range" calibers there. 12 ga, 38spl and 45 acp could be considered close range. Even though 45 and 38spl can go further than 12 ga. 223 and 308 are a little further range. 308 from what I have seen has more stopping force further out there. but a 223 can get out there if need be. Depending on if you are "preparing" I would consider carrying the 12 ga, 45acp and maybe the 223. But of course it also depends on your guns. I am no expert so if my theory is flawed I am game to listen. I try to break down different ranges and find a gun/weapon that can meet that range. Just in case I need to defend myself, family , and "pack".

1. close quarters - knives,handgun
2. mid range - maybe handgun but also assault rifle/rifle (i.e up to 200-250yards)
3. Long range - rifle 200-500 yards. Anything further than that I would leave it alone and try to remain stealth.

When it comes to survival I believe remaining low key and in a "pack" is key. I am a firm believer that others will too be moving in packs. But of course, I also feel that you can tell the "good" from the "bad" when it is time. Body language means a lot.

But like I said, this is just what I believe. Recently started to prepare myself and family for when SHTF. I do not consider myself overly cautious, and I do not have an under ground bunker etc etc. I do not live my life constantly preparing and having multiple vehicles and bug out locations scattered within my area.

If my theory is flawed I am more than willing to listen and take note of other means of being safe in the event of *insert random time of disarray*

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Hambone said:
would consider carrying the 12 ga, 45acp and maybe the 223.
You are right, in a bug out situation where I had to abandon all but the essential (sniff, sniff) that's what I would keep, maybe even ditch the 12GA due to size & weight.

HOLY DIVER

Well-Known Fanatic
should we be thinking calibers that are popular?should we be thinking calibers that may "get imported over here after tshf)?
nato calibers 5.56,9mm,7.62x51etc...i traded in my my glock40 and got a glock 9mm this reason played a big factor.i've had the 5.56 covered for a long time lol

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
I've heard the military special forces us ammo common to the region, so they can 1) scavenge ammo from fallen enemies and 2) leave no identifiable shell casings. Another advantage of having common ammo is that it could be used as bartering currency in a collapsed society.

Pathfinder2012

Active Fanatic
Hambone said:
bigfutz said:
Hambone said:
I also try to minimize different size calibers so there is no problems if SHTF

Aside from the collectibles, I've committed to 308, 223, 45ACP, 38SPL, 12GA.

My opinion, (strictly that) is that you have too many same "range" calibers there. 12 ga, 38spl and 45 acp could be considered close range. Even though 45 and 38spl can go further than 12 ga. 223 and 308 are a little further range. 308 from what I have seen has more stopping force further out there. but a 223 can get out there if need be. Depending on if you are "preparing" I would consider carrying the 12 ga, 45acp and maybe the 223. But of course it also depends on your guns. I am no expert so if my theory is flawed I am game to listen. I try to break down different ranges and find a gun/weapon that can meet that range. Just in case I need to defend myself, family , and "pack".

1. close quarters - knives,handgun
2. mid range - maybe handgun but also assault rifle/rifle (i.e up to 200-250yards)
3. Long range - rifle 200-500 yards. Anything further than that I would leave it alone and try to remain stealth.

When it comes to survival I believe remaining low key and in a "pack" is key. I am a firm believer that others will too be moving in packs. But of course, I also feel that you can tell the "good" from the "bad" when it is time. Body language means a lot.

But like I said, this is just what I believe. Recently started to prepare myself and family for when SHTF. I do not consider myself overly cautious, and I do not have an under ground bunker etc etc. I do not live my life constantly preparing and having multiple vehicles and bug out locations scattered within my area.

If my theory is flawed I am more than willing to listen and take note of other means of being safe in the event of *insert random time of disarray*

You got to think though, When SHTF and you Have to move and stay Mobile you will be carrying WAYYY too much ****, Thats Why it is good to try to Optimize to be ready to only have One or two weapons if you are lucky. Get real familiar with them, How they feel on Different parts of your body. Where they are the lightest at. I think the BEST Bet for what your trying to look for Fits in the best Category Of Assault Rifle (AK/AR/etc). But in a SHTF situation if your trying to Shoot people past 250 yards Then your Just trying to kill'em for the sport. even 100 Yards is good enough to remain "stealth" and get away ALIVE... Unless your in a Battle-zone you don't need to be shooting at People .

Latest posts