ammo

Parhams0508

Well-Known Fanatic
I think the number of rounds one should have should be proportional to the number of magazines he has.

For me, I want to reload each magazine at least 10 times. So, for my XD SC, that would mean 130 rounds for my 13 round mags, and 160 rounds for my 16 round mags. I have eight 13 round mags, and two 16 round mags, for a total of 136 rounds. Let's round that up to a nice 140. That means that I would have 1400 rounds of ammo on hand, in addition to what is in the magazines (yes, I'm one of those fool-hearty people who doesn't see any harm in keeping a magazine loaded to capacity ;) ). That would mean 1536 rounds total, plus one in the chamber for both mine and my wife's XD. But I like even numbers, so let's do 1600.

(Side note: I figured that for a confrontation with a side arm, 5 magazines would be sufficient: one in the gun, and four on your person. As for an AR, I think seven magazines would be sufficient, but I wouldn't mind the input from those who've actually seen battle to correct/approve this. **HINT-HINT**)

For an AR with 30 round pmags (the only magazine I think anyone would endorse), that would be a 300 rounds per magazine.

For shotguns, eh...that's a whole 'nother matter. I think I would do a 3-1-3 ratio of buckshot-slug-birdshot, and have enough on hand to take down your yearly amount of game. Or, primarily stock up on buckshot and your favorite birdshot at a 1-1 ratio.

So, to recapitulate: for one pistol, I would have 5 magazines and 1400-1600 rounds; for one AR-style battle rifle, 7 magazines and 2100 rounds; for one shotgun, 3-1-3 ratio of 00, slug, and #6/#7.

I hope this adds to the discussion!

Parhams0508

Well-Known Fanatic
Oh, I forgot to mention:

Begin to own stock in .22LR. Just buy it, regardless if you like the caliber or not. That one little bullet can do a whole lot in the right hands.

Plus, one can use it to train with instead of using your precious defense/hunting munitions.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Parhams, what's your formula for how many mags you need? Seems you keep ammo based on number of mags, but how do you know how many mags to buy? If tou accidentally end up with too much ammo, do you have to buy more mags? It's the whole cereal vs milk paradox all over again!

As for 22, do you have any training guns or conversions?

Parhams0508

Well-Known Fanatic
For pistols, I absolutely love Rugers: MK I, II, III, and the Ruger 22/45. I haven't had any experiences with any pistol conversions, or with .22's in common pistol formats (like the 1911's and the Glock look-a-like).

I've shot AR's with the .22 conversion kits, and I think those are pretty sweet, but not really accurate out to longer-ish distances (when compared to rifles that ONLY shoot .22LR).

As for the number of magazines, one can never have too many. But I think that one should think about how he would carry those magazines if the need arises. For me, I have a bag that I can reasonably put four pistol mags and six AR mags in, along with a med kit. And most chest rigs have space for three double mag pouches for AR's, and two to four spaces for double stack pistol mags.

jgodfrey

Well-Known Fanatic
HOLY DIVER said:
i keep 8-30rd mags rtf mags for the AR and 1-30rd rtf in the mag-well.might i add they are all p-mags but the colr of the mags are different.....lol

Yeah one of yours is pretty ugly, but I'm sure whoever you got it from is an awesome guy! :mrgreen:

HOLY DIVER

Well-Known Fanatic
jgodfrey said:
HOLY DIVER said:
i keep 8-30rd mags rtf mags for the AR and 1-30rd rtf in the mag-well.might i add they are all p-mags but the colr of the mags are different.....lol

Yeah one of yours is pretty ugly, but I'm sure whoever you got it from is an awesome guy! :mrgreen:
that guy ripped me off.gave me a junky pmag and cheated me out of a glock21

jgodfrey

Well-Known Fanatic
HOLY DIVER said:
jgodfrey said:
HOLY DIVER said:

that guy ripped me off.gave me a junky pmag and cheated me out of a glock21

Kill him with kindness. Buy him lunch!

Latest posts