ammo

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
Granted I have no engineering background and 2 unrelated college degrees, my experience keeping magazines loaded for extended periods of time is that the springs gave out. My basic load on my vest I kept reloading (because I kept firing it), but the extra "grab mags" in the truck for M4 and M9 just sat in a crate. After about 90 days or so, I decided to empty the magazines and maintain them, (even though our armorer said the same thing, that they would be OK) as this was my responsibility. The majority of the rounds "fell" out of the magazine after the first couple came out, because there was not enough spring tension to push them up. Conversely, the magazines I used regularly, functioned fine throughout that particular deployment. The only magazines I had to replace were the ones that remained loaded for long periods of time and the ones I left on the ground doing combat reloads without the time to pick them back up.

I implemented magazine rotation in my rifle squad on my next deployment also, and weekly magazine inspections (bent lips, broken followers, etc) to make sure all of our gear was functional for when we needed it the most.

Even my older Springfield XD springs (bought in 2007) were worn out from keeping them fully loaded. This is a 10 round compact mag and a 13 rounder, both .45 ACP. I will not be back home until tomorrow from work, but I can disassemble the magazines and take pictures of the ones that I used to keep fully loaded vs the magazines I rotate. The magazines that I have in a rotation are in much better shape. And these are clearly "modern" magazines with "modern springs and steel".

You can feel free to tell me I'm wrong and that engineering says I'm wrong, but my own personal experience tells me otherwise. I will continue to rotate magazines and replace them as necessary. DO NOT TAKE THIS AS ME TELLING EVERYONE WHAT TO DO. I suggest you only do what you feel comfortable doing. If you want to keep them loaded, OK. If you want to rotate them, OK. Do not flame me for making a blanket "you should do this statement", because if you do, I will refer back to this paragraph, because I am not. These are my own personal experiences, at home and at war.

PCShogun

Well-Known Fanatic
I too agree that you should settle on one or two calibers in a survival planning situation.

Several carbines are manufactured using handgun ammo, giving you the benefit of longer range shooting and ammo commonality with your handgun(s). Now you potentially only need one ammo type to carry around. I actually keep some ammo around for trades. I cannot shoot the stuff as I don't have a weapon in that caliber anyway.

My current ammo situation is not a great one to go by. I have about 8,000 rounds but its in about 9 different calibers, mostly Soviet.

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
Pathfinder2012 said:
I have kept some AK mags loaded All the way for Almost 4 years now, Not one problem. It does NOT Effect the Springs. Unless you have Weak and Untreated Mags springs. The Only way they get Worn out is rapid Compression and Decompression. Well proven.

Obviously it really comes down to the individual spring. But saying a blanket statement like "it does not effect springs" is completely inaccurate. You have some springs that still work fine after years. I had some fail after months, without ever experiencing rapid compression and decompression, and like I stated, the magazines I used that were emptied out and refilled on a weekly basis performed better than those that just sat. I am telling you something that happened, something that I personally encountered, and you are telling me that it didn't or couldn't have happened. :|

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
BigFutz, I agree.

Pathfinder, don't get me wrong. I know what you're trying to say, and that is it "shouldn't" happen. But we're not dealing with thick coil springs on vehicle suspension made to support thousands of pounds. We're dealing with thin pieces of wire, roughly the diameter of paperclips, that won't hold up to more than a pound or so pushing down on them. They shouldn't wear out after being compressed for long periods of time, but I have seen it happen on civilian magazines, military grade mags, etc. I'm not making this up. I have better things to do with my time than to create a lie in order to argue with strangers on the internet. I would like to know what brand magazines you have that remain packed for 4 years with no problems because I want some of them, too.

Pathfinder2012

Active Fanatic
Soviet Republic of South Carolina (SRSC)"Lexington
11B3XCIB said:
BigFutz, I agree.

Pathfinder, don't get me wrong. I know what you're trying to say, and that is it "shouldn't" happen. But we're not dealing with thick coil springs on vehicle suspension made to support thousands of pounds. We're dealing with thin pieces of wire, roughly the diameter of paperclips, that won't hold up to more than a pound or so pushing down on them. They shouldn't wear out after being compressed for long periods of time, but I have seen it happen on civilian magazines, military grade mags, etc. I'm not making this up. I have better things to do with my time than to create a lie in order to argue with strangers on the internet. I would like to know what brand magazines you have that remain packed for 4 years with no problems because I want some of them, too.

Polish Poly Slab-side Circle 11 , and Russian Tula Bakelite mags, Springs Haven't been change Since there Pre-Service life, and out of the factory, in the 1980's. And I wasn't Arguing Nor was I calling you on it. I was just stating facts :lol:

11B3XCIB

Well-Known Fanatic
It may be a fact that springs are designed not to fail because of continuous compression or load, but with outside factors applied, things like heat, dust, lack of quality control, and uknown variables, etc., might all contribute to the spring's failure in circumstances when it normally shouldn't. I wish the 2 XD magazines I have that the springs gave out had functioned properly...those things are not cheap to replace. :shock: Although, when I was in Iraq, making sure my gear functioned was just a part of my job; my off time was spent prepping for my "on"time. :geek:

HOLY DIVER

Well-Known Fanatic
ok the post has shifted to magazines......ok should we stick with firearms that are very common due to magazines?my thinking:AR-15,AK-47 both very common around here.sidearm now there alittle more trickyGlock17/19 very common and also chamber the very common 9mm nato.beretta 92 pretty common and issued to the millitary.1911 also very common 45acp every body loves them right?

Pathfinder2012

Active Fanatic
HOLY DIVER said:
ok the post has shifted to magazines......ok should we stick with firearms that are very common due to magazines?my thinking:AR-15,AK-47 both very common around here.sidearm now there alittle more trickyGlock17/19 very common and also chamber the very common 9mm nato.beretta 92 pretty common and issued to the millitary.1911 also very common 45acp every body loves them right?
Yes That would be your best bet, lol. The government Loves to use 40 cal now soo Thats why i got a lot of 40s XD

HOLY DIVER

Well-Known Fanatic
so does everyone agree that the primary weapon should be 5.56 or 7.62x39 and the sidearm should be either 9mm nato,40S&W,45ACP ? witch makes sense if you have a Glock20 and run out of ammo whats the chances of finding 200rds of 10mm that you could barter for?

Pathfinder2012

Active Fanatic
HOLY DIVER said:
so does everyone agree that the primary weapon should be 5.56 or 7.62x39 and the sidearm should be either 9mm nato,40S&W,45ACP ? witch makes sense if you have a Glock20 and run out of ammo whats the chances of finding 200rds of 10mm that you could barter for?

Yes 7.62x39 or 5.56. And as for 10 mm, There is not much of a difference between 10mm and 40 sw, beside length. They are both 40 cal rounds, SOo you can Battle pickup 40 S&W and Save your 10mm brass " make for a easy reload"

HOLY DIVER

Well-Known Fanatic
Pathfinder2012 said:
HOLY DIVER said:

Yes 7.62x39 or 5.56. And as for 10 mm, There is not much of a difference between 10mm and 40 sw, beside length. They are both 40 cal rounds, SOo you can Battle pickup 40 S&W and Save your 10mm brass " make for a easy reload"
i get what your saying and i think a .40 would be a fine choice for this topic.but with that said if the shtf its just a matter of time before nato troops land on american soil and there side arms will be chambered in 9mm nato.so for me personaly the sidearm of choice is a Glock19 but if i run across a sig226 at a good price that may change lol

hedmisten

Fanatic
I personally stock all my ammo, but I mostly over stock different types of .22LR(subsonic, high velocity, SSS) 9mm NATO, and .30-06/12 gauge.

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
So do you shoot what you stock, or do you have separate plinking and SHTF ammo? Any opinions on the value of 22LR as a practice round? I'm thinking of a drop-in 22LR AR conversion.

HOLY DIVER

Well-Known Fanatic
i rotate as i buy ammo i rotate it with shtf ammo.if i shoot 200rds i replace it with new.as for 22lr buy it cheap stack it deep its great to practice with + if shtf you will be able to trade a box of 22lr for a goat.22lr conversion for a AR is great for training just remember CCI mini mag they don't like the cheap stuff

Pathfinder2012

Active Fanatic
It is best that you KEEP your stock pile with ammo you bought for it. Keep it in the boxes, Vacuum seal it in packs of 6 to 8, to fit in 50 or 30 cal ammo cans, And store it. You will need it. Think of it this way. Cheap "ammo-stores longer-steel cased-easier on the Bore"stuff No other way i can say it lol. Thats the good things of Having all my AK's, Steel cased is really cheap and can store forever,and its MUCH easier on the Rifles action. Buy it, Seal it, Date it, Store it. :mrgreen:

bigfutz

Well-Known Fanatic
Tigerstripe said:
bigfutz
be careful of taking ammo off the enemy.
ill find the video that explains and put in on.
Did I say that? I don't shoot 762x39 or 40 or 9. Since when do zombies carry ammo anyway? :) Show me the video anyway.

hedmisten

Fanatic
bigfutz said:
So do you shoot what you stock, or do you have separate plinking and SHTF ammo? Any opinions on the value of 22LR as a practice round? I'm thinking of a drop-in 22LR AR conversion.

I'll shoot only target or plinking ammo, but I'll never grab from my stock if I can help it. I own a p22 and a 10/22 for the very reason of ammo costs. They are phenomenal guns I have enjoyed and put hundreds of rounds through without issue. Great for training and great for storing and keeping for barter should anything happen

Latest posts