I built 8 so far and I think I'm going to sell off all my 6.5 Grendel

I have 300 BO for sub and for power I love the 450 BM

On the large side I shoot 6 to 7k 308 per year
In 3 gun competition and for PRS gas gun I built a couple 6 Creedmoor

Love them All
Sorry...hit the wrong button.

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic
I have 5.56 (.223), 300 BLK, 7.62X39, all in carbine and pistol length, .308 in 22", .22LR, and a.22 Mag on order. The AR platform is so versatile it is truly a fun piece. I have toyed with some larger calibers but for right now I think I am going to stay where I am. Maybe a pistol caliber, but there I go again.

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
I have 5.56 (.223), 300 BLK, 7.62X39, all in carbine and pistol length, .308 in 22", .22LR, and a.22 Mag on order. The AR platform is so versatile it is truly a fun piece. I have toyed with some larger calibers but for right now I think I am going to stay where I am. Maybe a pistol caliber, but there I go again.
That is very interesting. Why do you have both, They are both pretty much the same. ?

What larger calibers? 30-06, 300WM, 338L ???? and who's, Nemo, Noreen, Falkor, F&D ????

1664767316820.gif

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic
That is very interesting. Why do you have both, They are both pretty much the same. ?

What larger calibers? 30-06, 300WM, 338L ???? and who's, Nemo, Noreen, Falkor, F&D ????

View attachment 28622
I have no idea who Nemo, Noreen, Falkor, F&D. Where the heck did you come up with those ??
As far as other calibers , 6.5, 450.
What are both that are the same ? 5.56/.223? If that's what you are talking about, I do that out of habit .

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I think those names makers of big caliber AR's, saw Nemo on some show few years back with some crazy calibers for AR, 300 Win Mag or something, a high dollar custom vehicle, if remember right, in Recoil magazine also

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic

View attachment 28622

I have no idea who Nemo, Noreen, Falkor, F&D. Where the heck did you come up with those ??
As far as other calibers , 6.5, 450.
What are both that are the same ? 5.56/.223? If that's what you are talking about, I do that out of habit .
When you said that you tried larger cal. I thought you were talking about the AR's in 30-06, 300WM, 7mm, 338 Lapua etc. but you are not talking about the big calibers.

Both 300blk and 7.62x39 are the same type of round.

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
I think those names makers of big caliber AR's, saw Nemo on some show few years back with some crazy calibers for AR, 300 Win Mag or something, a high dollar custom vehicle, if remember right, in Recoil magazine also
Yes Nemo made calibers in 300WM, 338La
Noreen made 30-06, 270, 7mm, 300WM and 338La
I think that Nemo has dropped down to just the 300WM in the big ones.

Last edited:

dennishoddy

I have a TACCOM 9mm upper that I used in USPSA Comps. Uses Glock mags and has been 100% reliable.
Big fan of light ultra fast cartridges, so I got to looking around a few years ago and found a couple of custom AR builders that specialize in odd calibers that a common barrel swap on a standard AR won't do.
Decided to go with a guy in Denver for a complete rifle with an A2 stock in .243 WSSM. Short action so it will work in the AR-15 platform.
Did my research discovering the issues when that caliber came out in a Winchester/Browning bolt gun and how the AR with the angle of the feed ramps is the platform those manufacturers should have used to stop the feeding issues the bolt guns were having which caused it demise.
The builder and I discussed what I wanted which was a stainless .902 threaded bull barrel, 24" length, and a 1:10 twist for shooting the lighter .55 grain 6mm bullets for a varmint cartridge.
The upper receiver requires some machining and taking out the dust cover as the short fat case needs room to eject.
The builder guaranteed a 1MOA at 100 yards. After getting the rifle, went to the range with Winchester premium .243WSSM cartridges and could barely keep a group the size of a big paper plate. They were flying everywhere with a Nikon Monarch scope mounted on top.
60 rounds later, gave up and called the builder. He said to send it back so I did. Two weeks later I got a pic with a target showing three rounds touching. Said the issue was not his and sent it back.
Same result when I got it back. Huge groups. After more phone conversations, he basically washed his hands and said see ya. We are talking about a $1200 rifle.
I was cleaning the bore in preperation of putting in the safe as a junker and had a thought. Marked off a foot on the cleaning rod and counted the revolutions while pushing it through. Turned out to be a 1:8 twist.
Bought some Winchester Supreme 100 grain cartridges and it printed clover leaf groups repeatedly at 3400 fps over a chrony.
Well, it still wasn't what I wanted for a varmint rifle using lighter bullets, so contacted Dtech and talked to their builder. He said a 1:12 was what I really needed so I ordered a Douglas hand lapped competition medium contour SS 24" fluted barrel upper.
Oh hell ya! .55 grain Nosler ballistic tips at 4100 fps were almost cloverleafing at 300 yards. Amazingly accurate.
I'm handloading for both now several years later. Deer don't stand a chance with the 100 grain Barnes TTSX and varmints don't take a step after being hit with the 55 grain Noslers.
I have the components to build another AR in the safe but I can't think of any caliber that will outperform the .243WSSM for my purposes.
If that caliber wasn't available, the 6mm ARC would be my next build.
Edit: For the rest of the story, the guy in Denver called me a year after washing his hands of the rifle he built with the wrong twist, telling me that there was a barrel in his stash with my name on it and wondering what I wanted to do with it. I resisted telling him what I really wanted him to do with it, but refrained and explained what happened with what was evidently the wrong barrel was sent to me and explained what was done to find out the issue. The conversation ended pretty quickly.

Last edited:

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
Have thought about 300 blackout but I would probably wind up sticking a mag with 556 in it, buddy of mine has one and absolutely loves it, a pcc in 45acp sounds like fun, those fat little boolets make me smile
I had the same concerns when I bought a 300 ACC upper for my 556 pistol. I solved that issue by buy 300acc specificmags in tan. You can always get the markers for your mags to specify what caliber they are.

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
As far as calibers go, there is the standard 556 as well 300 blackout and 308.
One thing that often gets overlooked is the 22LR conversion kit from CMMG. I have 1 of those and while it is slightly ammo sensitive, it's a great way to shoot on the cheap out of your AR. You can often find those kits with the 3 mags for a $150.

Personally I have an AR15 rifle and AR15 pistol that shoot 308 from POF.. They are both excellent firearms and 308 is a great caliber that you can get just about anywhere in America. Especially without spending a fortune.

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't have a chrono, so I can't answer the velocity question. But, this is from the article linked below. So far, I have just used 180 range ammo, usually S&B. Never have a had a single failure of any sort. 1665755618962.png

Heres a review of what I have. https://www.shootingillustrated.com/content/range-review-cmmg-banshee-10mm/

I find it to be relatively soft shooting. I've added a cheap red dot from Amazon and it has survived several years of use. I can repeatedly hit 8" steel 95% of the time from 100 yrds despite my less than new eyes.
I love 10mm and my Banshee is shot as much, if not more than my Dan Wesson 1911's.

Heres a link to my YouTube and a video of my cousin shooting my Banshee for the 1st time. he was DEFINATELY not shouldering the weapon. When you OCCASIONALY shoulder it, shes smooth.

When I lived in the Idaho Panhandle, my short hikes included this. Usually with 15 rnd mag and a 10 rnd backup.

rmc51

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't have a chrono, so I can't answer the velocity question. But, this is from the article linked below. So far, I have just used 180 range ammo, usually S&B. Never have a had a single failure of any sort. View attachment 28734

Heres a review of what I have. https://www.shootingillustrated.com/content/range-review-cmmg-banshee-10mm/

I find it to be relatively soft shooting. I've added a cheap red dot from Amazon and it has survived several years of use. I can repeatedly hit 8" steel 95% of the time from 100 yrds despite my less than new eyes.
I love 10mm and my Banshee is shot as much, if not more than my Dan Wesson 1911's.

Heres a link to my YouTube and a video of my cousin shooting my Banshee for the 1st time. he was DEFINATELY not shouldering the weapon. When you OCCASIONALY shoulder it, shes smooth.

When I lived in the Idaho Panhandle, my short hikes included this. Usually with 15 rnd mag and a 10 rnd backup.

10mm 1665783096317.gif

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't know why but I've had a hankering for something in 22 mag, I've got my late father's Hi Standard 22 mag derringer, not a great range gun, Bear Creek has a upper, 330 bucks. I've been picking up few boxes of 22 mag along when comes into stock at TargetsportsUSA just in case I pick up something in 22 mag, probably should just pick up a revolver so I don't get carried away, Ruger LCR or LCRx, round kinda pricey, little less than 556, 14-17 a box depending on brand and bullet type, just thinking out loud

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Don't know why but I've had a hankering for something in 22 mag, I've got my late father's Hi Standard 22 mag derringer, not a great range gun, Bear Creek has a upper, 330 bucks. I've been picking up few boxes of 22 mag along when comes into stock at TargetsportsUSA just in case I pick up something in 22 mag, probably should just pick up a revolver so I don't get carried away, Ruger LCR or LCRx, round kinda pricey, little less than 556, 14-17 a box depending on brand and bullet type, just thinking out loud
I confess.... I own two single sixes. One is old enough to have the strange rear sight, but not old enough to be a flat gate. The other one is newer. They both have both cylinders, but I haven't tried the magnum one in either yet. My neighbor blessed me with a full box of CCI Maxi Mag Gold Dots a while back, still haven't tried it though.

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
We'll I finally bought a 300Blk my go to gun shop got one in and called me so I'll go pick it up tomorrow.
It's a CMMG Banshee 300BO pistol that I intend to suppress. Thinking of a Q Thunder Chicken suppressor