.308 vs 25-06 and Coyote hunting rules

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
So I am in the market for a bolt action rifle. Right now it is between the mossberg patriot and the TC Venture, leaning more towards the venture. However caliber is another story. I had never heard of 25-06 until i saw that there was a TC Venture at the LGS chambered in it. People say its a great round for deer and anything smaller. I have an AR15, and AR22 so I am thinking the .308 would be the better choice just to round things out. Also I am curious about coyote hunting rules. A friend of mine wants to get into hunting as well with me, but wants to hunt smaller game before he moves up to deer. My father in law owns quite a bit of farmland and I am sure he would not mind us taking a few coyotes out, however I would like to know what kind of regulations are involved, I tried to find information on the OK Wildlife management page, but it was kind of vague to me, so was wondering if someone could explain what all I need to remain legal in this case?

Moller72

Well-Known Fanatic
The only rules on coyotes are you can't use artificial light to hunt them( so no spotlights, flashlights, night vision scopes or anything of that nature) there is also the general hunting regulations in general for all animals no hunting, or from public roads also can't hunt or chase from motor vehicle.

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
From what I found, even though they are considered nuisance, and I would be an agent of the land owner, I still have to have the general license and the tag of whatever season it is?

Moller72

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes you have to have a hunting license but not a tag for every animal during that season. I believe only during like deer rifle, elk rifle, antelope rifle, and bear rifle , but some of those are only in select counties and season is only 2 weeks so don't hunt coyotes during that time if you don't want to buy tags.

dennishoddy

Moller72 said:
The only rules on coyotes are you can't use artificial light to hunt them( so no spotlights, flashlights, night vision scopes or anything of that nature) there is also the general hunting regulations in general for all animals no hunting, or from public roads also can't hunt or chase from motor vehicle.
You can get permission from the county Game Warden if he determines there is too many in the area by reports from area ranchers getting calves and livestock killed. Its very restrictive, and a lot of the GW's won't allow it at all.

Like has been said, you must have a hunting license, and if your hunting during any deer, elk, or antelope season, be it archery, MZ, or rifle, including the holiday hunts at Christmas and New Years, you cannot be in the field with anything larger than a .22 rifle, unless your in possession of a tag for the appropriate season.
If you buy a lifetime hunting license, your always in possession of those tags, they come free with it.

I know its confusing, but most predator calling for bobcat or Coyote takes place after deer seasons close. The hides are worth more then if you want to go that way.
There is a caveat, that if they are seen killing chickens or livestock, they can be taken any time.

The second question about the .308, or the 25-06, I'd take the 25-06 any day. Much flatter shooting and its plenty for deer. Less recoil.

That being said, I've killed a ton of deer with .223 in the AR Platform as well as a lot of coyotes. Use the right bullet in the right place and they go down just as quick as a .308.

If your serious about using a bolt gun, I'd also recommend the 22-250. 55 grain for deer @ 3680 fps, and a 40 grain varmint bullet that will exceed 4100fps.
I can assure you that speed kills, and does it quickly. Amazing the internal devastation that little bullet can put on some organs.

Any other questions, ask away. Somebody on this forum will have an answer.

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
Awesome, thanks for the information. So do I need the special permission or what not just to go out to my FIL's land to hunt coyote no matter what, or do you mean he issues an open season type thing or do you mean he gives special permission in regards to the scorched earth tactics listed? Also, the lifetime license comes with all tags? Or just deer?

dennishoddy

Jonathan Waits said:
Awesome, thanks for the information. So do I need the special permission or what not just to go out to my FIL's land to hunt coyote no matter what, or do you mean he issues an open season type thing or do you mean he gives special permission in regards to the scorched earth tactics listed? Also, the lifetime license comes with all tags? Or just deer?
You just need your FIL's permission, but even though its private ground you still have to go by the same rules as if it was public ground with one exception. You can run a silencer on private ground, not public, although there is a bill working its way through the legislature right now to allow cans on public ground.
You still have to abide by the tag restrictions during the respective deer seasons.
Yes, the lifetime license comes with all tags, and has other benefits like if you apply for a controlled hunt in Ok, you don't have to pay the hunt fee associated with it. If you draw a hunt on Federal ground, the hunt fee is waived but you still have to pay the Federal fee.
The lifetime covers the Ok waterfowl stamp as well. You would still have to purchase the federal stamp.

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
Any thoughts on .270? The lgs has a browning a bolt with a simmons scope used for around 450, i hear good things about .270 but dont quite know the details. Also should i be concerned they are selling a browning for that price?

dennishoddy

.270WSM ammo is pricy. Used bolt guns are a buyers market right now. The AR's are dominating the gun buying world right now. If your going to reload it, Bullets from 90 grain to 140 are out there.
Lots of deer and elk have been killed with the .270.

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a .270 Win it is by far my favorite coyote rifle. I use a Sierra 90gr Varminter moving 3595 fps. It's awesome! Unless you're trying to recover the hides.....

TerryKendell

Well-Known Fanatic
Gene Sears Supply, name has changed to
3rd Generation Shooting Supply

They are a major distributer for lots of MFG

Shotguns for Trap shooting was their specialty
(Gene Sears was one of the top trap shooters of all times)

Wild Bill1

Well-Known Fanatic
Jonathan Waits said:
Thanks. Have you guys ever been out to gene sears supply in el reno? I hear that is a good place to look for used bolt guns?
Never been there personally but, a couple coworkers have purchased a few bolt guns from Sears at a fair price. It may be worth a trip. I hear nothing but good about them.

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
Alright, so I think I have decided to wait, since Thompson center is supposed to be releasing the compass this year to compete with the axis and American. So in the meantime I think I will just scope up the AR. Any recommendations on where to start my research? Would one of those 1-4x scopes specially made for AR's be what I should look into, or a more traditional scope? I do have an a2 front post gas block on mine, although from what I understand the scopes will usually just look past it or around it. I guess I am looking at simmons or something like that, I don't want to get too pricey but might be willing to go with a little pricier scope if I think it will be worth it and be able to transfer to a bolt gun when I get one.

Modoc

Active Fanatic
I'm running a 3x9 on my AR right now for Coyotes. It generally gets left on 3 power unless I have a true distance shot, then I will crank the power. Don't know about the A2 Front sight tower because of the way mine came set up. It works well, but not my go to gun just because of what else is in the safe (22-250, 221 Fireball).

I also don't know about OK, but here in CA it is best to carry written permission with you on private ground for when you are confronted by the GW. It just saves a LOT of headaches.

dennishoddy

Modoc said:
I'm running a 3x9 on my AR right now for Coyotes. It generally gets left on 3 power unless I have a true distance shot, then I will crank the power. Don't know about the A2 Front sight tower because of the way mine came set up. It works well, but not my go to gun just because of what else is in the safe (22-250, 221 Fireball).

I also don't know about OK, but here in CA it is best to carry written permission with you on private ground for when you are confronted by the GW. It just saves a LOT of headaches.
Yes, written permission required in Ok now.
I have a 3X9 on my Coyote Special AR. It never leaves 3X.
My M4 carbine has a fixed 3X that I use on the 300 yd steel all day long. Not saying the variables don't get turned up on the long range precision shots, but for minute of deer or coyote, the lower powers work fine for 90% of hunting.

Latest posts