.308 vs 25-06 and Coyote hunting rules

dennishoddy

Yep, even a relative.
If the game warden checks you and the land owner is out of phone contact, they can write a trespass ticket and run you off the property. Of course it will be dismissed, but keeping written permission on you, it just saves potential hassle.

dennishoddy

No. The only caliber in Ok that has restricted magazines is .223/5.56 during deer gun season.
Your restricted to 7 rounds.
If you hunt with an AR-10 or AK in Ok during deer gun season you can use 30 round mags.
It's a real long story how that came about.

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
Well i ended up picking up a mossberg patriot package for 299 at academy in .308. Ordering a foxpro deadbone this week and next saturday my buddy and i are going to try our hand at coyote hunting. I have noticed that the box stores have their own brand of clothing, who would be better to look at, cabelas or bpro? I want to try and keep it under 20 bucks per article of clothing. Do i even need to be concerned about going full camo?

Gramps

Well-Known Fanatic
Check academy for clothes. All their stuff is on sale now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dennishoddy

What your going to find is that the coyotes will attempt to get down wind of you by circling. You cannot defeat a coyotes nose with any scent cover concoction, so always keep your six covered while calling.
Pups are out, so the coyote pup in distress call is really good now along with the rabbit squeal.

wgm2011

Well-Known Fanatic
Jonathan Waits said:
Do i even need to be concerned about going full camo?
Did a lot of coyote hunting in years past. I never used camo clothing but made sure I had nothing shiny. Key was using a good call and picking a spot where brush broke up my silhouette. They seem to pickup movement long before the color of my clothing. Most of my shots were beyond 75 yards.

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
Well we got one this weekend, within about 30 mins of us being there too, This is my friend Jon, I didn't see this thing until he shot it and then I see a set of legs kicking in the air about 20 feet in front of me. Jon was a little higher than me and the grass was high, apparently this thing was coming right at me. So I guess you can say he saved my life lol.

Attachments

• 13220978_10157010589170232_4540433493828990000_n.jpg
    13220978_10157010589170232_4540433493828990000_n.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 18

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
No. The only caliber in Ok that has restricted magazines is .223/5.56 during deer gun season.
Your restricted to 7 rounds.
If you hunt with an AR-10 or AK in Ok during deer gun season you can use 30 round mags.
It's a real long story how that came about.
I'd like to hear that story sometime.

dennishoddy

The mag limit is for .22 centerfire rifles only, during OK deer gun season while deer hunting.
Any other time there is no limit on what you can carry in the field.

Legal Means of Taking

Rifles: Centerfire rifles firing at least a 55-grain weight soft-nosed or hollow-point bullet and having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer (9mm rifles are not legal). Clips or magazines of all .22 caliber centerfire firearms may not be capable of holding more than seven rounds of ammunition.
http://www.eregulations.com/oklahoma/hunting/deer-season/

I've heard conflicting stories about how that came about. The one that seems to hold the most plausible explanation is that a legislator, put that in a bill as "common sense " measure because the 30-30 lever gun only holds 7.
However, I've been told that no law gets passed about wildlife without going through the wildlife commissioners.
Never been able to get any reasonable explanation why only .22 centerfire from anybody.
Meanwhile there are no restrictions on mag capacity for calibers other than .22 centerfire during deer gun season while hunting.
I have need advised by a couple of game wardens to let sleeping dogs lay, as too much protest may inspire those that can/do pass laws to put mag restrictions on other calibers.

Jonathan Waits

Well-Known Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
The mag limit is for .22 centerfire rifles only, during OK deer gun season while deer hunting.
Any other time there is no limit on what you can carry in the field.

Legal Means of Taking

Rifles: Centerfire rifles firing at least a 55-grain weight soft-nosed or hollow-point bullet and having an overall cartridge case length of 1 1/4 inches or longer (9mm rifles are not legal). Clips or magazines of all .22 caliber centerfire firearms may not be capable of holding more than seven rounds of ammunition.
http://www.eregulations.com/oklahoma/hunting/deer-season/

I've heard conflicting stories about how that came about. The one that seems to hold the most plausible explanation is that a legislator, put that in a bill as "common sense " measure because the 30-30 lever gun only holds 7.
However, I've been told that no law gets passed about wildlife without going through the wildlife commissioners.
Never been able to get any reasonable explanation why only .22 centerfire from anybody.
Meanwhile there are no restrictions on mag capacity for calibers other than .22 centerfire during deer gun season while hunting.
I have need advised by a couple of game wardens to let sleeping dogs lay, as too much protest may inspire those that can/do pass laws to put mag restrictions on other calibers.
Sounds to me like maybe the ar15 was becoming popular, so they put a stop to that and ar10/308 sporters where not as popular or widely used. Either that or some magazine company needed to sell more 5 round magazines.

Dux-R-Us

Fear the Duck
dennishoddy said:
Yep, even a relative.
If the game warden checks you and the land owner is out of phone contact, they can write a trespass ticket and run you off the property. Of course it will be dismissed, but keeping written permission on you, it just saves potential hassle.
Don't landowners only have the right to call the law on people trespassing on land? From what I understand, even if someone is trespassing on our hunt leases, the actual owner can only call the law to have them evicted. What is the story, Dennis?

Latest posts