2011 Oklahoma State Snubby Championships

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Let's all take a minute out of our schedule to call Todd at Heartland and thank him personally for letting David hold these matches. If you won a certificate let him know that you spent it plus some more $$

Todd @ Heartland 405-340-7530

Pstmstr

magnum snubby
The logical reason for a snubby is they are more apt to be carried than left at home in the safe. They are very capable handguns if the user is willing to practice with them. I took a snubby specific class last year at OKC Gun Club taught by Claude Werner where I learned a lot. (apparently not enough to do worth a crap last night :) David is a good example of how a snubby is just as accurate at combat distances as any other firearm, both he and Shannon, maybe others, went 5 for 5 on the plates last night while others, like my foolish self, went 3 for 5, then had to back up and luckily went 2 for 2 to get the rest of them.
This is the only match around (maybe IDPA) where you get to shoot a gun you might actually carry, in the way you actually carry it. I think those shooting in competition gear or not from concealment are missing an opportunity to get a small taste of what you might have to do in a real life situation. Just think of how much pressure is on you at the match and that's not even an inkling of what would happen if you were getting shot at or in a situation where you had to use deadly force. Hopefuly, none of us will ever have to but you have to ask yourself the question, what if? Hopefully, you wouldn't be reaching for a speed loader or mag from where they normally sit in your competition gear.
On a happier note, I enjoyed the match, thanks again to David and Heartland for putting it on and thanks to everyone on our squad last night. Everyone helped out and helped each other. Now if we can ever figure out that dang DRT scoring. :)

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
Mike, well said.

I was glad I went 5-5 on the plates, but also got all 5 in each of the retreating targets. Had one "D" on the lowlight stage and that was it.

Had major reloading issues, but at least my shots were true.

I am reevaluating the DRT scoring and will post the revisions here.

dennishoddy

The logical reason for a snubby is they are more apt to be carried than left at home in the safe. They are very capable handguns if the user is willing to practice with them. I took a snubby specific class last year at OKC Gun Club taught by Claude Werner where I learned a lot. (apparently not enough to do worth a crap last night :) David is a good example of how a snubby is just as accurate at combat distances as any other firearm, both he and Shannon, maybe others, went 5 for 5 on the plates last night while others, like my foolish self, went 3 for 5, then had to back up and luckily went 2 for 2 to get the rest of them.
This is the only match around (maybe IDPA) where you get to shoot a gun you might actually carry, in the way you actually carry it. I think those shooting in competition gear or not from concealment are missing an opportunity to get a small taste of what you might have to do in a real life situation. Just think of how much pressure is on you at the match and that's not even an inkling of what would happen if you were getting shot at or in a situation where you had to use deadly force. Hopefuly, none of us will ever have to but you have to ask yourself the question, what if? Hopefully, you wouldn't be reaching for a speed loader or mag from where they normally sit in your competition gear.
On a happier note, I enjoyed the match, thanks again to David and Heartland for putting it on and thanks to everyone on our squad last night. Everyone helped out and helped each other. Now if we can ever figure out that dang DRT scoring. :)

Very good! Every thing you posted is spot on. I started competition shooting to learn how to run my gun in a pressure situation. Amazing how that beep puts one in the zone. Just wish I
lived a little closer to get more time in with this type of shooting.
Fun, yet a learning experience.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
i started competing because every year my joints get worse and i suck more and more at basketball and football.. so now i suck at shooting!!!

Feegee

The Magic Man
I want a snubby but I spent all my money on that comp stuff lol I am just happy to have another place to shoot and to get to hang around with some good people

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
"Dead Right There," or DRT scoring is mechanism designed to allow guns that only hold 5 shots to keep up with those holding 6

As may be evident by now, no target array requires more than 6 shots. This means that the 5-shot snubnose will always be one round short. I think its stupid to expect them to do a standing reload to fire that 6th shot, which will mess them up for the rest of the stage. As a result, folks won't shoot their actual carrygun. What to do?

Again, the intent is to allow a 5-shot snub to be competitive, not become the "gamey choice" by applying funky scoring that only applies to them, as a 6-shot snub cannot use DRT scoring.

DRT scoring is based on the premise that if you select a 5-shot snub for personal defense, you knowingly accept the low 5-round capacity.....and believe you have the required skill to use it with good effect when it counts.

1) At all positions where others must fire 6, you must fire 5. The target that is one short, the shot(s) must be "C" zone or better. If 3 targets require 2 shots each, then 2 of those targets should have 2 holes in them. The 3rd target with one shot must be "C" zone or better to declare the target DRT. If that single shot is a "D," then in addition to the 3 seconds the "D" hit adds, a Miss penalty will also be assessed.

B) if 6 shots are required on a single target, the 5-shot snub will fire all five. All 5 must be "C" zone or better. If one of the five is in the "D," then a Miss penalty will be assessed (Shannon was correct). Obviously, if that target only has 4 hits, then 2 misses are scored.

The only difference is that it is now required to shoot all five rounds at any position requiring six.

David E

Well-Known Fanatic
Since no one had responded, I can only conclude that my DRT scoring definition was so clear that everyone now fully understands it!

On a side note, since I had no misses, DRT or otherwise, my score would've been unaffected had we scored the retreating targets properly. It may have changed the order of others, tho.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Since no one had responded, I can only conclude that my DRT scoring definition was so clear that everyone now fully understands it!

On a side note, since I had no misses, DRT or otherwise, my score would've been unaffected had we scored the retreating targets properly. It may have changed the order of others, tho.

I would have won :)-

BTW, who has called Heartland to express their appreciation ?

I did and he was very appreciative. We had a good talk.

benjamin-benjamin

snickerpuss
called heartland numerous times and have waited over 5 minutes only never to have anyone pick up the phone, dropped by there personally and left my business card with my cell for todd to call me back and never got a call... i am trying but no one wants to talk..

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
I want to thank all of you that were there on Sunday evening. It was the first time I had shot competitively in about 25 years. It was the first time I had competed in this type of format. I had fun. You were all very helpful. I appreciate that a great deal.
Burk, I am sorry you ended up trying to use my lost 6 shot speed loader in your 5 shot revolver. :(

Bevenue

Well-Known Fanatic
"Dead Right There," or DRT scoring is mechanism designed to allow guns that only hold 5 shots to keep up with those holding 6

As may be evident by now, no target array requires more than 6 shots. This means that the 5-shot snubnose will always be one round short. I think its stupid to expect them to do a standing reload to fire that 6th shot, which will mess them up for the rest of the stage. As a result, folks won't shoot their actual carrygun. What to do?

Again, the intent is to allow a 5-shot snub to be competitive, not become the "gamey choice" by applying funky scoring that only applies to them, as a 6-shot snub cannot use DRT scoring.

DRT scoring is based on the premise that if you select a 5-shot snub for personal defense, you knowingly accept the low 5-round capacity.....and believe you have the required skill to use it with good effect when it counts.

1) At all positions where others must fire 6, you must fire 5. The target that is one short, the shot(s) must be "C" zone or better. If 3 targets require 2 shots each, then 2 of those targets should have 2 holes in them. The 3rd target with one shot must be "C" zone or better to declare the target DRT. If that single shot is a "D," then in addition to the 3 seconds the "D" hit adds, a Miss penalty will also be assessed.

8) if 6 shots are required on a single target, the 5-shot snub will fire all five. All 5 must be "C" zone or better. If one of the five is in the "D," then a Miss penalty will be assessed (Shannon was correct). Obviously, if that target only has 4 hits, then 2 misses are scored.

The only difference is that it is now required to shoot all five rounds at any position requiring six.

So if a target array is three targets with two hits each. I have a 5 shot BUG. I shoot a "A,D", "A,A", and an "A".

Does the "D" hit penalize me with a miss or is it just on the target with on one shot.

Latest posts