would like to find nice looking wood box with drawers to house gun cleaning supplies and tools

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Now that I have a dedicated spot in my office in the new casa for cleaning, fiddling with, and occasionally breaking guns, I'd love to find a nice looking wood box to house this stuff. I've seen some that look like they lend themselves to long gun cleaning kits but I hardly shoot long guns. I also would like to be able to stand up my lubes and cleaning solvents in the box.

Any recommendations?

This is what I have now. The fishing box I bought when I was 12 in 1968 , and the tub is from the hospital when one of the kids was born 25 years ago. I'm not attached to either. The fishing box and the tub, that is. ;)

IMG_1630.JPG

apipeguy

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a couple Gerstner tool chests, Harbor Freight and others copied the design. The Gerstners are extremely well made and are priced accordingly but they'll get passed down with my guns.

Paid under 300 for mine and got them through some Arts Supply place maybe in Wisconsin.

Last edited:

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
I have seen several on line, including the one from Harbor Freight, but I want to be sure I have a section of the chest that I can stand up 6" tall bottles of lube and solvent.

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
Harbor Freight has knock off Gerstner Boxes, and I looked at vintage ammo boxes, but went with this one.

For this price I can mod the top tray to allow me to stand up lube and solvents in the bottom.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OTZW56Y/?tag=1911fans-20

71OlFRG%2BneL._SX679_.jpg

fieldgrade

Well-Known Fanatic
I'll report back. My 50 year old tackle box actually works great, but looks like a cheap old plastic tackle box, and the bottles of lubes/solvents fall over in that little bucket no matter how gently I handle it.

I now have a dedicated work surface for playing with guns in my office right next to my desk, and that wood box looks good enough that I can leave it on the desk without looking like I moved my garage in the house.

fatbaldguy

Well-Known Fanatic
....hows your day been?
Went pretty well. The Head Cheese made gumbo and jambalaya, bought pizza and fried chicken to feed the site. None of it Keto friendly, so I didn't eat.

My direct report gave me work to do over the weekend. He said he would pay me for it. It appears nobody in the building knows how to use Google maps and customer lists to build routes, except me.

Other than that, nothing to terribly different than normal.

awp101

Well-Known Fanatic
My direct report gave me work to do over the weekend. He said he would pay me for it. It appears nobody in the building knows how to use Google maps and customer lists to build routes, except me.
I'm so tempted to print and hang either one of these over my workbench when I go back after the holidays...

Latest posts