Wilson Combat 100S Checkered Frontstrap (stainless) review

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
Had wondered about this product for several years, had been thinking about trying it on one of my 1911's..finally bought one, it arrived today, so decided to put it on .
May not look as nice as a skilled gunsmith checkering job, but cost only 10%, (or less than that) of having it done.

here's a link to this Wilson Combat product : https://shopwilsoncombat.com/Checker...ductinfo/100S/
interesting to note, on the Wlison Combat website, all responders rated it 5 stars. (!)

My rating wouldn't be so high... here's why.. it didn't fit my 1911. Well it didn't fit the first one I tried to install it on.
Since having a 40 S&W barrel fitted to my Colt Delta Elite, I've been shooting it a lot more.

Decided to put the Wilson front strap on my Delta frame..& discovered.. it didn't fit.

Tried several times... the metal stamping isn't wide enough to go around the front strap & tuck under the handgrips, as they're supposed to be installed.
My Delta is currently wearing a pair of VZ Recons Magwell Full Size Gun Grips. This is a pair of very aggressive textured, G-10 grips.
I didn't look for my oem grips..as comparing this pistol's frame to another 1911 I have, ( a GI spec Springfield Armory 1911)
I noticed the Colt frame is "thicker" / wider, just beneath the trigger guard, the area just below where the mag release button/screw is located.
this "meatier" area of frame prevents the Wilson checkered frontstrap piece from fitting properly. There isn't enough metal to go around this area & fit beneath the hand grips, as that's the way the frontstrap is supposed to be held in place.

I compared this to a couple other Colt 1911's in my safe. The Combat Commander, though having a full size frame, has the area beneath the trigger guard, machined more concavely. Quite a difference in size & appearance. Not as much metal beneath the trigger guard as on the Delta. The other Colt, a 70 Series Govt model,
does not have the same thicker / wider area beneath the trigger guard. It's a much older pistol than the Delta & It's front strap had already been professionally checkered

My Springfield Armory 1911 is wearing a copy of VZ grips, bought off Amazon, called "E Gun Grips H1-J4-11 G10 Tactical Aggressive Texture Pistol Grips for Full Size 1911 Handguns, Dark Ops " The Wilson Combat 100S Checkered Front strap fit around the Springfield's frame just fine & the grips seem to be holding it firmly in place.
Looks & fits well on this 1911. I will give an update on how it works after it's had some rounds fired.

My "Caveat emptor " is.. this might be a great bargain for those who want to improve their front strap grip, without the high cost of a gunsmith checkering job..
IF it fits your pistol...

I was a bit surprised to learn it wouldn't fit on my Delta.. & wonder if the Delta has a bit "beefier" frame, than other 1911's made for less powerful calibers.
[h2][/h2]

Ceapea

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got them on three 1911s, an older (pre -II), Kimber, a new Kimber and a SA Range Officer. I love them! I'm one of the five star ratings there.
I love them cuz I hate smooth front straps on 1911s! All of mine fit perfectly and tight! Super little (and inexpensive!) accessories.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
For my 1911's that don't have front strap checkering I use Talon Grips for the little piece that covers strap, I use the sandpaper texture, used to be 5 bucks shipped, not sure if gone up but I ordered 10-12 and haven't have had to replace any yet, I like these better than checkering, these with Lok Grips(or any aggressive G10 grips)are excellent

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I had Doug Jones , my gunsmith, checker the front strap on my S/A Loaded Target in 9mm..I really liked the work, but not the price.
Can't justify spending that amount on every 1911 I own ( yea, I should probably sell a few of them) so I thought I'd give the Wilson Combat 100S Checkered Front strap a try, then report on the results. Worked well on the Springfield , I mentioned about (it's an older S/A bought in the 80's) in 45acp. Bought another one, a blued version of the Wilson Combat 100S Checkered Front Strap to try on of the blued 1911's I owned. Tried it on an STI Spartan I have..it BARELY fit under the stock STI grips. Shooting it, one edge came out from under the grip..still worked, but funky looking. I took it home, applied some rubber cement to the front strap, then reapplied the Wilson Combat 100S Checkered Front Strap, to see if the cement would keep it in place. Have not tried it , since the glue was applied.

HooDoo Man

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Peoples Republic of California (Northern)
I ordered the item. Didn't like it. Looked cheap to me. That's just me and if it worked for you that's good. It is a good idea to save some $$$ and not have to refinish the frame. That's the big issue with me. I'll live with the smooth F/S, which I do not like, or spring for the checkering & finishing if I'm in love with the gun. OR the easy way, BUY another gun! The American way.

41 Charlie

Well-Known Fanatic
I for one, love my 1911s. Many years ago, I found myself with approximately 10 production 1911s. Most of these 1911s didn't have the features I really wanted, including front strap checkering. At the time it was much easier for me (financially) to purchase multiple $600.00-$800.00 1911s, than one $3,000.00 semi custom. I made the decision to sell 4-5 of these production 1911s, and purchase one semi custom that incorporated the bells & whistles that I was looking for.

Today, I'm more financially able to purchase what I really need. Over the years I learned it's better to have at least one really nice 1911, than a whole bunch of production 1911s that you wish had some of the more high-end options you desired. JMO. I wish you the very best in your journey.

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
I realize I'm more of a "function over form" person.
If it works well, that's great..even if it isn't as aesthetically pleasing as I would prefer.
This has been true for most my material possessions.. house, car, bikes, guns.
I enjoy visually appealing things, but not to the point that I'll spend 2-3 X more on something, just for the visual appeal. Yeah, I'll never be a fine art collector..
Not a judgment against those who do..I also have a realistic view of my shooting ability.. noclaim to having match-grade accuracy, not a competive shooter.
I do compete against myself, always attempting to do better.

Found a m/c online I like a lot , it's a Motus ( https://www.google.com/search?q=motus+motorcycles&client=firefox-b-1-d&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=UHA_G5qX0wUn-M%2Ce1JfbkC6QTUksM%2C%2Fm%2F0gjcjnk&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kQaIvh7ZH2Ual3FRuhIDgr-BRtHgw&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjoqbOmtoXwAhWXBc0KHfwDC1YQ_B16BAgmEAE#imgrc=UHA_G5qX0wUn-M

While I could easily afford one, & appreciate all the fine materials & workmanship, I would have to sell some bikes to have room for it..which isn't going to happen. Probaby never own a Wilson, Brown,,Baer, though I do have a few tuned Colts, & Springfields.

AZ Husker

Well-Known Fanatic
While they fit on some pistols and might be functional, they really look like a cheap added-on piece. I even saw a guy shooting with a set and one side popped out, a potential laceration issue. If you need front traction but don't want the expense of checkering, I'd recommend a piece of skateboard tape cut to fit under the grip panels. A lifetime supply will cost you a buck or two. Skateboard shops will usually just give you scraps.

Ceapea

Well-Known Fanatic
Like was mentioned above, I too am a "function before form" kind of guy. Look cheap? Probably. But so what? They work for me on three different 1911s. I would always put these on smooth framed 1911s.
Here they are...

Attachments

• 29229E57-BB37-458B-A61B-9F320C781088.jpeg
    29229E57-BB37-458B-A61B-9F320C781088.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 87E56F65-03ED-4E0E-8A7F-482FBD16A96F.jpeg
    87E56F65-03ED-4E0E-8A7F-482FBD16A96F.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 3
  • 40041E57-5F82-470F-AF3D-4CBE1E8B605C.jpeg
    40041E57-5F82-470F-AF3D-4CBE1E8B605C.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 2

WC145

Well-Known Fanatic
I've tried them, don't like the cheesy look or feel. If I'm going to put something cheap on a 1911 that either isn't worth investing in checkering, finished in such a manner that it can't be checkered, or waiting to be checkered I'll go with the skateboard tape option. For instance, this Tussey modded Norinco is a great gun but hard chromed making it a pain in the ass to have checkered, Talon grip tape only costs a few bucks, last a loooong time and works great. Same for the Springfield Mil-Spec, great gun but I'm not putting $250-$300 into checkering a $500 gun unless it's getting built, Talon grip tape to the rescue again.
1618760772070.png
1618760886053.png

joepistol

Well-Known Fanatic
.." this Tussey modded Norinco.."

Terry Tussey ? He did some work on a few of my 1911's back in the early 80's.. when he was in Anaheim , Ca.
A great guy, super gun smith , did excellent work.
Read that he passed this past Dec. a real loss to the shooting sports.