Who's hunting Dove this year

dennishoddy

I'm 7 days into emails, and phone calls that go to voice mail.
WTF?

Back on to the dove.
My hunting buddy and I went to his spots. The ponds were just small circles about 10' in diameter.
The dove were coming in by the dozen.

I have to go to my place and start working ground for fall planting this weekend, so I'll see whats happening over there.

dennishoddy

I just got in for running the tractor for 10 hours.
The dove are not there. I saw some on the high lines, but very few.
The farmer that leases it from me, disked it awhile back. Things change, so I'll be going back to see if they
Have came in yet.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
I'm planning on going this year. I have one class and an advisor who is very sympathetic to "sorry I'm late I was at the range." I've been scouting land while running the dog.

I was hoping that Olly would be helping out but he's not a natural retriever at all so it looks like I'm doing the legwork myself this year. We'll see what happens after some more serious training next year.

Hopefully that O/U from my dad is better at dove hunting than it is at Pro-Am.

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
Kirk,
Lexington should be pretty good if any of the ponds have water if you want to HO somewhere close to OKC.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
For those of you without a shotgun maybe they will legalize baseball hunting.

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DqwpRHrAh3pk%26feature%3Dshare&feature=share&v=qwpRHrAh3pk&gl=US

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Lexington would be ok but I really don't like to eat the little birds so I I like to go with folks that like to eat doves if not they just go bad in the freezer. I was over by Lexington a week ago didn't even think to drive around and check things out. Later,

Kirk

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
Since we are talking about it...

Favorite dove recipe:
Wrap the breast in bacon and smoke over apple chips.

Doesn't even taste like dove when it's done (which is a good thing)

dennishoddy

I read a new recipe the other day.
Fillet the breast from the bone, cut a slit in it, put in a cocktail onion, and sliver of jalepeno, wrap in bacon, and smoke like the post above

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
I read a new recipe the other day.
Fillet the breast from the bone, cut a slit in it, put in a cocktail onion, and sliver of jalepeno, wrap in bacon, and smoke like the post above
I do the same thing only instead of the jalepeno, I use a small chunk of Pineapple, it adds a sweeter taste. I don't like spicey.

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
We went out this morning. It sprinkled a bit and then cleared up. Thought the birds would come out after it stopped raining but we only saw 7-8 doves in three hours. Took shots on a few but most were out of range. Came home empty handed...

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
I just got ahold of my landowner yesterday, I'm on for this weekend. Hopefully Saturday morning.

dennishoddy

We sat on a pond and had fair action in the morning.
I had to leave early to shoot a match, but still managed to get 8.
Went out that evening to another pond and got 7 for a daily limit. Played bird dog for the other guys. Didn't get any pics of the evening hunt.
View attachment 3115

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346865620.404355.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346865620.404355.jpg
    322.6 KB · Views: 19

Bentsight

Well-Known Fanatic
Temps are supposed to start dropping up here so there should be a whole lot coming your way. We've had some great shoots in the sunflower fields and coming into the rests. You can blame some of the ones with gaps in their wings and holes in the tail that look like a shot up WWII bomber on me, took awhile to get back into the swing of things...

dennishoddy

Went out last night, but it was late. Had an hour to shoot. 4 of us got 31.
I got 8. Pic is of 6, but the turtles in the pond got two when the fell into it.
View attachment 3156

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347587328.320292.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1347587328.320292.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 9

dennishoddy

I'm planning on going this year. I have one class and an advisor who is very sympathetic to "sorry I'm late I was at the range." I've been scouting land while running the dog.

I was hoping that Olly would be helping out but he's not a natural retriever at all so it looks like I'm doing the legwork myself this year. We'll see what happens after some more serious training next year.

Hopefully that O/U from my dad is better at dove hunting than it is at Pro-Am.

Keep in mind that most dogs do not like to retrieve dove. They don't like the mouth full of feathers that dove produce, and shy away. Some dogs do, but not many.
They are helpfull if you watch them spot the dead bird. They may not pick it up, but will find it for you. Train with a dead dove, and if you have one that is crippled, let the dog capture it after you throw it out there.
We had two new dogs on our hunt last night. They helped find a couple lost in the weeds, but that was all. They were German Shorthairs.
It takes the 3rd or 4th year before a bird dog comes into their own. Then they are awesome until about 10.

Okie4570

Fanatic
Not sure about the other dogs, but I do know it's true of most of the Labs I've been around. A couple of my friends that I bird hunt with have labs that are 5-7yo, they'd pick up the first two doves of the night, and then they were done and had a mouth full of feathers. Hit the jackpot on my lab though, a couple of friends and myself have gone 5 times and limited out 4 of the 5 times. He's brought back probably 95% of my birds that weren't within arms reach, and a lot of my buddies birds too. He'll be three in December. The best $100 bucks I've ever spent on hunting "equipment". Just have to make sure there's a pond for him to cool off in when it's hot. The other retrievers in the pic did a good job too:) Duck season's around the corner, we're ready!!

photobucket-39154-1346686132997.jpg

dennishoddy

Classic retreivers!

My kids loved going out and getting the birds! Dove season was their favorite. Deer season, they didn't like. Not enough action, and too much sitting.
Now, they can be entertained with angry birds or something, until The deer come in.

I was kind of amazed when my kids watched a deer getting field dressed. They didn't gross out at all. I showed them each organ, (what wasn't mush) and they were really interested.

Latest posts