Who's hunting Dove this year

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
I Actually have a place to hunt dove this year, something I have wanted to do but haven't had the chance. Who else is hunting them? I have a few questions What do I need? Can it be done with out hunting dogs? What can I expect? are they hard targets? any tips and tricks are greatly appreciated.

The last time I went hunting for dove I was under 10 and with my father if I remember correctly I and my brothers were the retrievers. lol

Adam Striegel

Well-Known Fanatic
Last time I went dove hunting we didn't have a dog. Think there was 5-6 of us and we just kind of walked a field spread out about 10 yards and that was enough to flush them... Just had to watch where they fell so you could pick them up. This was a bit of an issue for us since the grass was pretty high.

dennishoddy

I Actually have a place to hunt dove this year, something I have wanted to do but haven't had the chance. Who else is hunting them? I have a few questions What do I need? Can it be done with out hunting dogs? What can I expect? are they hard targets? any tips and tricks are greatly appreciated.

The last time I went hunting for dove I was under 10 and with my father if I remember correctly I and my brothers were the retrievers. lol
You don't need a dog. Any shotgun from a .410 to a 12 ga will work. The cheap Walmart shells in 7 1/2 or 8 shot will work great.
Walmart sells cheap decoys, so get 1/2 dozen if you want. Stick them in dead trees, or on the ground if the vegetation is not high. I typically hunt stubble fields that have recently been worked, so the ground sets work in that situation. Last year I bought one of the wind powered mojo decoys for $5, and set it out in the middle of my ground decoys. Three of us limited out that evening. I've hunted with one of the motorized versions, and had zero success with it. Too much motion I think. When you start getting some, put the dead ones out as decoys as well.
Dove are not easy to hit. They fly fast and have an uncanny ability to swerve right when you pull the trigger. At least that's my excuse when I miss. :D
I read once that the national average on them was 4 dove per box of shells.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
So lots of ammo! They said the first day last year brought a ton of dove in. But I won't have access till day two or three. Does time of day matter?

dennishoddy

If the drought continues, a pond with clear banks is a great place to go early mornings or evenings, as they move from the feeding areas to the roost, or visa-versa. Late mornings will find the birds feeding, so at times you can walk them up. Tree rows with gaps in them can be a good place to sit as the birds will fly through the gap.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
If the drought continues, a pond with clear banks is a great place to go early mornings or evenings, as they move from the feeding areas to the roost, or visa-versa. Late mornings will find the birds feeding, so at times you can walk them up. Tree rows with gaps in them can be a good place to sit as the birds will fly through the gap.

Not sure there's a pond, but its directly connected to a river.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm hoping to find some places this year, I normally give the birds to whomever I'm shooting with as I've not found a good way to cook them to meet my tastes. 4 birds a box is the national average? dang sounds like someone needs to practice lol

I've got the little 28ga O/U so I'll be shooting a larger shotgun this year from my 410 I normally use BUT I can promise you it'll be in the truck with me. Dennis just let me know if those doves are too many up in your neck of the woods and need some help, and by the way we never did get out to Silverleaf to shoot! we should get together here soon for that. Later,

Kirk

dennishoddy

If things work out like last year, there shouldn't be a shortage of dove.
We defiantly need to do Silverleaf. Should have plenty of ammo. A guy called me this morning saying he bought a house for a rental and found two cases of high brass 16 ga shells in the basement. Said if I wanted them to come get em.
Pretty old, but they are plastic hulls. Fired a couple in the yard, and they shot just fine, so I'm ready.
I wondered about the 4 birds per box thing, so I googled it. I found numbers from 3-5 per box, depending on which source one wants to use.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
If things work out like last year, there shouldn't be a shortage of dove.
We defiantly need to do Silverleaf. Should have plenty of ammo. A guy called me this morning saying he bought a house for a rental and found two cases of high brass 16 ga shells in the basement. Said if I wanted them to come get em.
Pretty old, but they are plastic hulls. Fired a couple in the yard, and they shot just fine, so I'm ready.
I wondered about the 4 birds per box thing, so I googled it. I found numbers from 3-5 per box, depending on which source one wants to use.

I would love to go to silverleaf with you guys, but cost is a big issue for me I might be able to come up with another 100 rounds or so but what does it cost to run a round at silverleaf?

This hunting place is less then 2 miles from my work so its convenient and cheap on the gas

dennishoddy

Its been awhile since I've been there, and we shot two rounds of sporting clays, and then 5 stand.
You or anybody else would be more than welcome. Its a hour and a half drive for me, but I'll do it in a hearbeat if I'm off. Just prior to dove season might be a good time as its cooling off some and would be a good tune up, but I'm game for anytime.

Googled the site, and got this:

SPORTING CLAYS .48 per target ($24.00 per 50 targets)
5-STAND SPORTING $12.00 per round of 25 targets
WOBBLE TRAP, SKEET OR TRAP .37 per target ($9.25 per 25 targets)

When you go to each of the sporting clay stages, your allowed to throw one bird at no cost to see how they fly if I'm not incorrect.

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Real birds lol I'm going out on a limb and gonna say sporting clays being each station is different, the 5 stand you just switch positions hence the 5 stand, wobble just chunks the clay birds at different angle in front of you but I could see it being a good warm up for flushing birds like quail or phesants I'd add woodcock in there but there is NO practice for those suckers.

Dennis, I like the thought of waiting til it cools a touch and gets closer to the time to shoot the gray rockets. Send me a PM with the days you'll have off and we can go from there Later,

Kirk

dennishoddy

Real birds lol I'm going out on a limb and gonna say sporting clays being each station is different, the 5 stand you just switch positions hence the 5 stand, wobble just chunks the clay birds at different angle in front of you but I could see it being a good warm up for flushing birds like quail or phesants I'd add woodcock in there but there is NO practice for those suckers.

Dennis, I like the thought of waiting til it cools a touch and gets closer to the time to shoot the gray rockets. Send me a PM with the days you'll have off and we can go from there Later,

Kirk

Sporting clays would be the preferred practice for a structured range.
My buddy has an Atlas Clay thrower with a remote control to launch the birds. Its rotates, but dosn't wobble. We hit it pretty hard, but use my 3/4 cock thrower that can mount in a reciever hitch or stand by itself to launch the "wierd" shots straight up, or whatever. Fun and good practice.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok so silly question, the limit is 15 daily 30 in possession after the first day. not including collared doves unless they are fully dressed. Does this mean my season Limit is 30? or if I bag 30 and eat a couple can I then shoot more ... Im confused.

dennishoddy

Ok so silly question, the limit is 15 daily 30 in possession after the first day. not including collared doves unless they are fully dressed. Does this mean my season Limit is 30? or if I bag 30 and eat a couple can I then shoot more ... Im confused.

Its not a silly question.
It means you can only have 30 in possession in your freezer after the first day.
Its kind of a tradition with us each season to hunt and eat. My buddy is from Georgia, and is used to the traditional "plantation" type of hunt.
During the hunt, his and my wife will ride up on a UTV, serve Iced tea or water with a little snack to the hunters, and at the end of the day, we gather up the birds, clean them, and eat. Adult beverages AFTER the hunt.
Pretty fun to do it that way.
The second day, and every day after, we are on our own with a small ice chest of water.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
Its not a silly question.
It means you can only have 30 in possession in your freezer after the first day.
Its kind of a tradition with us each season to hunt and eat. My buddy is from Georgia, and is used to the traditional "plantation" type of hunt.
During the hunt, his and my wife will ride up on a UTV, serve Iced tea or water with a little snack to the hunters, and at the end of the day, we gather up the birds, clean them, and eat. Adult beverages AFTER the hunt.
Pretty fun to do it that way.
The second day, and every day after, we are on our own with a small ice chest of water.
That sounds awsome! so if I eat one I can replace it?

Latest posts