Who's hunting Dove this year

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm going to go dove hunting for the first time next month. It will be my first time bird hunting, period. I don't plan on hitting a single one. My gf's brother is taking me. We're hoping to find a place around here to hunt but if not he has a place to hunt in Clearwater, Kansas where he says there are usually tons of birds. I need to try to get a shotgun before then.

dennishoddy

Good luck! You will get birds. Just remember to follow the fundamentals of shotgun shooting.
Find the bird, follow it, pass through it, and pull the trigger while maintaining the swing.
That advice is great for clay birds.
Dove shooting is awesome because you will see the bird, your gun will come up, and the bird will do a 90, 180, 360, dive, climb, and everything in-between. :D

Dustin Cantrell

Well-Known Fanatic
Good luck! You will get birds. Just remember to follow the fundamentals of shotgun shooting.
Find the bird, follow it, pass through it, and pull the trigger while maintaining the swing.
That advice is great for clay birds.
Dove shooting is awesome because you will see the bird, your gun will come up, and the bird will do a 90, 180, 360, dive, climb, and everything in-between. :D

Thanks. Even if I don't get any birds, it will be fun. It's not my first time behind a shotgun, but first time in 8 or 9 years. Need to get some practice in before then but I'm not sure when...

dennishoddy

I'm thinking I'm going to call for a warm up shoot at Silverleaf if there is a saturday or sunday open before the openiing weekend. Stricktly informal.

been

Well-Known Fanatic
I plan on going. Cant wait to use my new SxS 12 gauge! Also September 1st is on a Saturday! That means its not a school day!

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
Dennis, we will have to get together at Silverleaf for a round or two, looks like next weekend is out but maybe the weekend of the 25th? ya workin'? Later,

Kirk

Ksmirk

Well-Known Fanatic
I think we should do our best to meet up out there! I've got an old friend that has not been shouldered in many many years. I know a couple others that have mentioned they would like to tag along also. Later,

Kirk

Okie4570

Fanatic
I'd be up for a round or two, I'll bring my own gun this time:) I've got a CZ that I haven't pulled the trigger on yet.

Iggie

Well-Known Fanatic
I might could swing the 25th if you guys don't mind me maybe showing up. I could use a couple of pointers. Do we want to set a time? Also is anyone going through norman that I could bumb a ride from?

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
I would also be I retested if you don't mind more company. If not maybe we could shoot trap/skeet at Banner Road.

Wildcat

Well-Known Fanatic
I'd like to shoot up there with you all as well. If there isn't room maybe we could get a group together and go out I Canadian valley.

Jeff T.

Well-Known Fanatic
I would be interested in tagging along and trying to learn. Here is the schedule posted on the Silverleaf site.
2012 Calendar

August 5 - CLOSED
August 25 - Ducks Unlimited Fundraiser
September 3 - Open Shooting for LABOR DAY
September 14 - KLife Fundraiser
September 15 - NSCA Registered Shoot
October 12 - Edmond Chamber of Commerce Fundraiser
November 22 - Closed for THANKSGIVING
November 23 - Open Shooting
December 8 - NSCA Registered Shoot
December 26-28 - Open Shooting

Please note: only events which are open to the public are listed.

sefentress

Well-Known Fanatic
They will be open, this is one of their busiest times of the year. We shot last saturday early and there was lots of groups tuning up for the dove opener. I have been getting reports of lots of birds NW, W and SW. You do not need to make reservations to shoot there normally.

Latest posts