Para Where have all the Paras gone...?

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
This company, which started out in Canada and was "reborn" in the USA, seems to have come to a sad ending. Being absorbed by Remington was not a good thing for a company that had a history of innovation, especially with double stack .45s and Light Double Action (LDA) pistols. I bought one of their Black Ops 14-45 models back in 2013 for use as a home defense pistol since I was living on a large chunk of property in a sparsely populated area. The only problem that I had with it was having the tritium insert in the Trijicon front sight disappear on the 192nd shot during "break-in. I sent it back to Para USA and they replaced the sight and sent it back to me in less than two weeks. After that it ran fine except that it didn't like steel-cased Tula ammo. Having moved to a gated retirement community, I've put it up for sale on consignment because I have plenty of other .45 ACPs and .38 Supers that meet my needs.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I believe they are a fading company. Their quality control was always spotty. You either got a decent one or a POS. I had a Limited that was stainless with the black highlights. It peeled rather badly. Sent it in to have that fixed and it happened again a few years later. Sold it and have never owned another Para.

As far the the company......the Freedome Group ruins every company it owns. They bleed them dry and drive quality to the lowest levels. All for the almighty Benjamin.

OldGunner_43

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree that Para didn't have a stellar rep for quality control and customer service wasn't the best either. However, I was just lucky to have one that ran well - at least for the 600 -700 rounds I put through it. The Freedom Group definitely kills off companies,

ThePlumber

Well-Known Fanatic
Like Bender stated, I have heard of good Para's and shitty Para's. Enough of a disparity that I never considered buying one. Too much of a crap shoot to me.

Last edited:

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
I agree that Para didn't have a stellar rep for quality control and customer service wasn't the best either. However, I was just lucky to have one that ran well - at least for the 600 -700 rounds I put through it. The Freedom Group definitely kills off companies,

The Limited I had was a 40 S&W. I had it for about five years total. Ran around 4 or 5k rounds through it. It shot well and was reliable but the finish peeling was embarrassing. When Para refinished it the 1st time, it took 14 weeks. that really pissed me off. They had stated 2-4 weeks before I sent it in

Scott E. Smith

Fanatic
I have owned 3, 2 of which I still own.

A 14/45 that ran like a champ from day 1 & still own.

A P-18 stainless ( 9X21 ) ( Canadian gun ) that I bought used. Only had 1 mag and it was crap. Tried 6 Mecgar mags...did not even latch in the gun. Was able to obtain 6 newly designed mags due to a good customer service rep about a year after I bought it. These were then offered for sale for only a few weeks and they put sales on hold. Never offered again before the sellout. The pistol and these mags have run flawlessly. I still own this gun.

Had a LDA that was TERRIBLE ! Never got 1 mag of ammo thru it without an issue. It was back to Para 6 times. Eventually they agreed to take it back and give me a new gun of my choice. That is how I got the 15/45.

2 I still own have become safe queens along with many others. Age and other life factors have reduced my range time considerable. These are 2 of my collection that I should probably sell but with Para' s reputation they probably would not bring what I feel they are worth.

rglassma

Fanatic
I have an Expert 9 that I have owned now for several years. I have put probably 1500 rounds through it. It eats everything that I feed it. The only time I have every had a stall was from a crappy reload. They happen from time to time. Its been a great gun for a very low price. No complaints at all. Even with the plastic trigger. Not sure what it is worth. But, I have never seen another. It is a keeper for me, and my only 9mm 1911.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Didn't Para recently close their doors?

**Seems they got acquired by Remington and the brand name was squashed. So, no more Para

The Collector

Active Fanatic
My first .45 was purchased from a good friend of mine. It was his duty carry to fight crime in the streets of Tacoma, WA.
Many thousands of rounds through it and it stands as home defense here..... trusted by him, trusted by me.
12-45 made in Canada.
IMG_1853 (2).jpg

Zipper046

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
I had a Canadian P16-40 Limited....ran the crap outta her for about 3 - 4 years running USPSA Limited. Made "B" class with it...then moved into STI's and a Glock 35.

Just sold the Para off to a young gentleman out West who was looking to get into USPSA Limited and was shooting an older Sig P229....made him a great deal so get him where he needed to be....

The older Canadian one's were very good....the newer ones....mehhhh....not so much...

fatbaldguy

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a USA built Elite Commander. Other than the 80 series bullshiot, it has been a good shooter. Had tritium's and a long trigger installed. It is now in backup/trunk gun status. Many thousand rounds downrange, never a stoppage that wasn't my fault(purposefully limp-wristing). More accurate than my old, surgically repaired eyes. I would sell it in a New York minute, but nobody wants a Para anymore. Remington essentially killed it.

Latest posts