What Is The Difference (DPMS and Bushmaster)

Patrick Palmer

Well-Known Fanatic
Hey folks,

Following a link from an older post I was directed to CTD's "Gearing Up for 3-Gun" article/post/blog entry. In that article, it stated that an inexpensive entry into 3-Gun would be to use a DPM Sportical or Oracle. When I clicked the link to their catalog for DPMS, they were out of stock. So I went to DPMS' area on Bud's and found the Sportical for (what I believe to be) a very inexpensive cost. But on Bud's when I viewed the Sportical's page, I saw below in a separate area that Bushmaster had an offering for $105 more.

Now, in my searches online I've heard the name DPMS mentioned quite frequently. But I haven't heard Bushmaster bandied about at all. So why is DPMS' offering less expensive than the Bushmaster? Are they different in some fundamental way that a new buyer would need to know about? I know, based on the CTD article, that the DPMS offering will let me upgrade parts as I get more into competition shooting, etc. I don't know if I can make the same modifications to the Bushmaster.

Essentially, these are my questions:
- Is there any difference between the Bushmaster and DPMS Sportical (linked below) that I should be aware of?
- http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_793/products_id/61626/DPMS+Panther+Sportical+.223+6+Pos.+Stock
- http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/69657
- Would it be better to look at the DPMS Oracle as a comparison since it's closer to the Bushmaster price point - and - is it inherently a better offering than the Sportical?
- Will both weapons be able to receive a free floating barrel shroud or fore end or whatever it is called?
- Can both weapons have a compensator upgrade?

Side Question:
- What is a 1:9 or 1:8 twist? Heck, what is a twist at all?

Thank you in advance for any assistance,

Medicius

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
the dpms is better quality than the bushmaster. Bushmaster kinda overprices their stuff.

You can make the same upgrades on either weapon.

Twist rate is how fast the rifling in the barrel will spin the bullet. Certain rifling works better with certain grain bullets than others.
1/8 means the rifling turns once in 8 inches of barrel length. 1/9 means 1 turn in 9 inches.
If you have a choice, go with 1/8 it does better with a wider range of bullet weights.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
the dpms is better quality than the bushmaster. Bushmaster kinda overprices their stuff.

Man how can you make a statement like this without a first hand example given.

If I had to choose something other than a Stag Arms 3G for 3 gun and Bushmaster or DPMS were my options I would go with a DPMS 3G1. The DPMS oracle or Sportical is about as inexpensive as it gets on a complete rifle if your looking for inexpensive options.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
The sportical does not have a threaded barrel if I remember right. If you ever want to add a comp you'll need to have it threaded. Both rifles can have FF tubes etc. added later. I've had both DPMS and Bushmaster barrels, both were MOA out to 300.

I'd also steer you towards a 3g1 as a better all purpose AR than either of those rifles.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
That Bushy you linked to is their Carbon 15 model, reinforced poly upper and lower. Just thought I'd point that out.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
The sportical does not have a threaded barrel if I remember right. If you ever want to add a comp you'll need to have it threaded.
The one linked has an A2 flash hider so it should be threaded & ready to accept a comp.

On an unrelated note. I was talking to Erik at Loki about these a while back & he told me that they weighed one of these receivers & it was heavier than the regular forged upper with dust cover & fwd assit. The material thickness of the Sportical was significantly more than the normal receiver.

nikatkimber

Well-Known Fanatic
The one linked has an A2 flash hider so it should be threaded & ready to accept a comp.

On an unrelated note. I was talking to Erik at Loki about these a while back & he told me that they weighed one of these receivers & it was heavier than the regular forged upper with dust cover & fwd assit. The material thickness of the Sportical was significantly more than the normal receiver.

On that latter point, since it's an extruded piece instead of forged, it takes more material to achieve the same load capacity, hence the higher weight. Many of the billet parts will be the same.

Patrick Palmer

Well-Known Fanatic
Ok, thank you for the feedback and information on twist. I'll take a look at the additional ideas offered.

Does the Carbon's non-metal upper mean that it will be less likely to accept aftermarket add-ons? Or is it just a different way to manufacture the same item?

Jesse, on your Stag Arms 3G (linked picture in your signature) it looks like you have iron sights at a 45 degree angle and the scope at 0. Is there a special upper portion required to use that or is the connection angled on the iron sight piece itself?

I read about someone using the angled iron sights in another post online. It seems like a really good idea for certain scenarios.

Thanks again, all, for the feedback.

Medicius

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
The offset irons are made to connect to the top rail on the handguards. They are curved to be at the 45 degree angle. Using them with a scope will put you in open division, probably not the best place for a beginner to be.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
The carbon upper is just a different material to use to make the receivers. Basically its a fancy name for plastic. Stick with forged aluminum for your receivers.

ShaneP

Looks good to me
Using them with a scope will put you in open division, probably not the best place for a beginner to be.
I thought offset irons were allowed in TO, but an additional optic (red dot or whatever) put you in open?

Of course I've only shot 2-3 3gun club matches so what do I know.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
The offset irons are made to connect to the top rail on the handguards. They are curved to be at the 45 degree angle. Using them with a scope will put you in open division, probably not the best place for a beginner to be.
not true........an offset red dot will put you in open but not offset irons.
Offset irons won't affect your division.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
The carbon upper is just a different material to use to make the receivers. Basically its a fancy name for plastic. Stick with forged aluminum for your receivers.

I'd have concerns as to how well the pic rail would allow a scope or dot to hold zero on a non-metal upper receiver.
I'd like to hear from someone who's done some testing.

Patrick Palmer

Well-Known Fanatic
Awesome. I'll have to look around. I can completely see where off-set iron sights would come in handy, based on some of the videos I've seen and posts I've read.

I'll stick with the metal upper for my first foray into carbines.

Thanks,

Medicius

Patrick Palmer

Well-Known Fanatic
Sorry, one other question group.

Pre-Ban vs. Post-Ban. I'm assuming it's related to a ban on class 3's? But if the, let's say, upper is for a semi-automatic AR, then why does its post or pre-ban status make any difference? Also, I assume there are specific state laws regarding the use of pre and post-ban items? Or is there something I need to google for my state to know before I look at buying one or the other?

Thanks,

Medicius

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
Pre ban and post ban is now null and void. It was a bullshit legislation that Clinton put out that kept you from getting high capacity magazines, collapsible stocks and bayonet lugs.
Unless you live in a state that has stupid gun laws like California or new York, don't worry about it.

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
This is Oklahoma, you get non neutered AR's here.

I have no idea why companies continue to use that terminology when only a few states continue to have some form of AWB.

I saw a bayonet lug hurting a child once, true story.

Latest posts