What EXACTLY is the “feed ramp” on a 1911? I THOUGHT I knew.

Roszhou

Well-Known Fanatic
Just something to make note of. The typical 1911 feed ramp is part of the frame. A lesser number of 1911's use ramped barrels. You should identify which yours utilizes. The barrel on the left in the photo is ramped. The ramp is part of the frame on the right.

View attachment 10705
Mine's like the right one. WISH it was like the one on the LEFT! Makes Hornady Critical Duty tops of the bullet (the copper surrounding the red rubber insert) bent oval in shape, when going into battery. I assume because of a non-ramped barrel, like on the left. Only really likes ball ammo, refuses to chamber Golden Saber JHP ammo. Just as J. Browning designed it for, ball ammo. Didn't have JHP ammo in 1911. Shoulda bought a: ?? A 1911 with a ramped barrel.

Longcarbine

Well-Known Fanatic
I polish both styles on my guns and the chamber throat/breech what ever you want to call it. A dremel with the bullet style buffing pad and some Mother's chrome polish, unless you get the dremel chuck into the metal it would be pretty hard to screw one up. Mother's polish isn't gritty enough to harm anything but it will put smooth shine on your ramp.