What did you carry today?

HRColey

Fanatic
It seems to be about evenly divided between 1911 style guns and striker fired. For years I carried a 4" Wilson Ultralight and a year ago switched to my Glock Gen 5 19. The reason being that I had done two combat courses with the Glock and after a few thousand rounds no misfires or failure to feed, and only had to get a solid grip, draw the pistol and fire on target. Recently started carrying my Wilson EDC x9 and found a couple of holsters (AIWB and OWB) that fit perfectly, depending on what I was wearing. Here's where I would like some feedback from those that do carry most of the time. Under stress, you simply draw the Glock and pull the trigger. One of the reasons we used the 17 teaching firearms at the Police Academy. With a typical 1911 two variables; proper grip for the grip safety and engaging the thumb safety. Then a perfectly smooth 3 1/2 to 4 lb trigger pull. My EDC x9 has the smooth trigger for the first shot, but the variable is the thumb safety. I like it vs the standard 1911 because no grip safety. So for those carrying a 1911, would you bet a thousand dollars that you could draw from concealed position and shoot as rapidly as you could fire accurately, and never fumble with the thumb safety or due to less than perfect grip on the grip safety fail to rapidly get the shot off, for a hundred straight rounds ? Guaranteed, with the Glock, you would, even with a less than ideal grip. And we know that getting a perfect grip with the 1911 is not always guaranteed because in the early days, of what is now IDPA, everyone taped the grip safety off. And these were some of he best in the world. I had a metal band that I attached after taking the grips off and fitting it under them. Later became illegal. In closing, I'll still keep carrying my Wilson because I like the smooth trigger pull for every shot, and hope I practice enough that the thumb safety will never be a problem.
I've been carrying a 1911 since 1975 and have never once had my pistol fail to fire due to a safety malfunction. If you can't depress the grip safety you're not going to have a controllable grip on the gun. As for the thumb safety it's pretty simple to swipe it off as you assume a grip on the pistol. The only safety problem I have is not being able to find ambidextrous safeties with a normal thumb piece instead of elongated and widened thumb pieces. I have to buy a safety and break out my Dremel to trim it down. The only other problem is finding arched mainspring housings. Jeff Cooper regarded the 1911 as a perfect serious social purpose gun. Who am I to argue with COL Cooper?

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
I've been carrying a 1911 since 1975 and have never once had my pistol fail to fire due to a safety malfunction. If you can't depress the grip safety you're not going to have a controllable grip on the gun. As for the thumb safety it's pretty simple to swipe it off as you assume a grip on the pistol. The only safety problem I have is not being able to find ambidextrous safeties with a normal thumb piece instead of elongated and widened thumb pieces. I have to buy a safety and break out my Dremel to trim it down. The only other problem is finding arched mainspring housings. Jeff Cooper regarded the 1911 as a perfect serious social purpose gun. Who am I to argue with COL Cooper?
When I initially started shooting IDPA (called IPPSC) it was common practice to tape the grip safety down, and when I took my first course at Gunsite years ago when Jeff Cooper was teaching and was the owner, he had his grip safety taped down. Then it became illegal to do this for matches. As the manufactures got more involved with what the custom builders were doing they started increasing the size of the bump on the grip safety and widening the slide safety some. I carried a Springfield Pro 1911 as a cop for many years vs the issued Sig 226. Never cared much for the Glock until I got my 19 Gen 5.

Spokes

Well-Known Fanatic
My back has been giving me a fit...Had a bad fracture in 2014 and it had to be cemented back together...
Once in a while it gets so bad even my smallest belt carry gun pains me real bad..
So at the last gun show I purchased a Ruger LCP2. That is what I put in my pocket today...
I did shoot it three times before I decided to carry it. Shoots remarkably good.
Now I have to get one of those Desantis pocket holsters as the one that came with the LCP2 is not so good.
Now I have to decide what to feed it..

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
am i supposed to believe that on a 1911 forum, the results between SAO and stryker fired pistols are "divided evenly"? C'Mon, really?
And you've carried a Wilson ultralight for years and still haven't practiced flicking the safety off while drawing your weapon, enough to be comfortable with it? and if you couldn't do it comfortably or confidently, why did you continue to carry it for years? with practice, it becomes 2nd. nature and becomes just part of the draw.
the grip safety has never been an issue, i grab the gun and it works, whats so hard about that? the guns you taped up over the grip safety must have not been very good
My 1911 has never failed either, and the best part is, it's not a glock. and why am i reading a post about a glock on a 1911 forum, and in the "1911 Carry" section no less? (hmmm...let's see, 1911 forum... in the "1911 carry" sub section, I think I'll start a post on why i carry a glock, that will be good )
and last but not least, on a 1911, the thumb safety is optional, nobody makes you use it :)
All kidding aside, I'm glad you have recognized your limitations, and no longer carrying a gun you are not comfortable or confident with.
and if you want to trade that wilson for a glock, let me know! I'll buy my 1st glock, just so I can trade with you :) I already have a .45, so a 9mm 1911 might be fun to shoot too.
At Gunsite, striker fired pistols and 1911's are about evenly divided. And this is across the board with all the courses they offer, according to Gunsite General Manager, in a discussion I had with him this past September. When I was first there, app. 25 years ago, only 1911's. but of course, Jeff cooper was in charge and at that time, other options weren't as numerous or good as they are today. I think, and most agree, with a CC pistol that's not just for show but carried with the realization that it may have to be used under extreme stress, eliminating as many variables as possible is better. And as I said previously, in the early days of what is now IDPA competition, almost everyone taped the grip safety. That later became illegal, probably due to the litigious society we now enjoy so much. I was a Division Champion using a Gold Cup that Wilson customized for me (back when he answered his own phone), and rarely had trouble with the grip safety. But then again, no one was shooting back at me and I was shooting at paper targets. As a cop I carried the Springfield Pro but came to realize that there were advantages with a lot of the striker fired weapons and some of the double/single action pistols. At one department I was at, the department issued Sig 226's, which are good gun, but not my favorite. However, I have come to like my Wilson EDC x9, and when I came to the realization that it is as reliable as my 19, which means several thousand rounds with no failure to fires, misfires or locked slide, will make it my EDC. As an aside, I have five Wilson's not counting my shotgun and some AR's in different calibers. None up for sale or trade :).

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Shot a match Sat with my STI Trogen 45 did well carried my G32 on belt home and to eat. Same G32 today and will tomorrow as every day for years. 2 very different situations

STI

Well-Known Fanatic
Leaving shortly for town Glock 32 as always 125 Gr Ranger T extra mag owb Minute Man holster no change planned, never found anything better for me.

FWoo45

Well-Known Fanatic
SIG P220 Legion SAO. More reliable than a 1911, better than all my striker fired guns (of which I have many more than hammer fired guns), and almost as sexy as my Valors.

Yes, it is. The good news is only you will know!
If a Sig is more reliable than a 1911, you're shooting the wrong 1911. I'm kidding, but not really.

Whit

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Had to run down to the cigar store, carried my Kimber pro carry 2 with 3 Wilson 8 rd. Mags in my Vetters iwb.

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
When I see the number of Milt Sparks holsters on this Forum, easy to see why he has such a long wait period. I have one of his holsters for almost all the guns I carry and have carried, both IWB and OWB. Excellent workmanship every time. Absolutely no compromise in quality, regardless of his wait list.

apipeguy

Well-Known Fanatic
When I see the number of Milt Sparks holsters on this Forum, easy to see why he has such a long wait period. I have one of his holsters for almost all the guns I carry and have carried, both IWB and OWB. Excellent workmanship every time. Absolutely no compromise in quality, regardless of his wait list.

Totally agree, I have Criterions and 55BN's with shark trim for all my guns and a Sparks shark belt. Also S-4C's and D-4C's for everything and a couple left over VMII's. All my carry leather is Spark's. Took me 40 years of carrying to find it but once I did, I'll never try anything else as nothing is better, IMO. Jim, Nick and the other craftsman at Sparks are all stand up guys. Was thrilled that the wife and I were invited out to Sparks last month for their 50th Anniversary tour and shoot.

marinedoc

Well-Known Fanatic
Totally agree, I have Criterions and 55BN's with shark trim for all my guns and a Sparks shark belt. Also S-4C's and D-4C's for everything and a couple left over VMII's. All my carry leather is Spark's. Took me 40 years of carrying to find it but once I did, I'll never try anything else as nothing is better, IMO. Jim, Nick and the other craftsman at Sparks are all stand up guys. Was thrilled that the wife and I were invited out to Sparks last month for their 50th Anniversary tour and shoot.
You're pretty fortunate to have been able to experience that. When I talk with them on the phone they were always cordial and go out of their way to please. And this is unusual for a company that is not lacking for business. More and more businesses are taking the personal approach out of dealing with their customers and are going to e-mails only, not even giving out their phone numbers. Like they are too busy to take a personal approach when dealing with the very customers that they owe their success to. I was surprised the other day when I had a question concerning my Styer Scout and was connected with the head gunsmith at Styer who answered my question correctly and in detail.

Latest posts