What are the viable shotgun options for 3gun and shotgun matches?

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
The money in 3-gun nation mostly came from surefire and leopold. They supplied the guns and ammo and personnel to run it. Besides that, I would love to hear what else the did for the game this past year..
Wow, with all the FN publicity you'd naver have guessed this.
I'd just figured the whole thing was FN, from creating the tv show to providing the guns/ammo & prize money for the shoot off. It sounds like surefire & Leupold are missing out on some well deserved credit.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
Since Robbie Johnson has started working there, almost every match has had a few .308 rifles, 870's and other stuff.

I am not saying necessarily that they didn't do anything, but sponsoring a show that airs at 6:00am central on versus is not a reason to change platforms or be a decision maker for me.

If you choose FN, then do it because it is the gun for you. They work great, but ALL shotguns have their issues.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
So after Benelli screwed Tom Knapp, it appears he is now shooting a cz 712 for his demonstrations. I am going to order one and RNT it to see if it is a viable substitution. We will continue the search for a reasonable, low maintenance, low recoil affordable shotgun for 3-gun..

Strokin04

Grits N Gravy
So after Benelli screwed Tom Knapp, it appears he is now shooting a cz 712 for his demonstrations. I am going to order one and RNT it to see if it is a viable substitution. We will continue the search for a reasonable, low maintenance, low recoil affordable shotgun for 3-gun..

That is an affordable price at $430, I hope it can run decent enough to be used in 3-gun. I really need to get a shotgun so I can join you guys one weekend, my old 1100 just won't cut it. Please keep us posted.

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
Apparently they work late as we have a conference call tomorrow to discuss them sending RNT a 712 utility for us to modify and test. Fingers crossed..

BTW, I was looking on Gunbroker and they can be had for $328. With the RNT package and the Nordic tube adding another $250-300, this makes it an awesome candidate. With the 20" barrel and removable chokes, it will be the fastest swinging removable choked gun in the game.. It is only 6 pounds as well. Rest assured we will put it through the paces. They are going to send us at least one to work on..

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
Red Neck Tactical is correct. We cut and drill and sand until the darn thing runs right.. :)

I did get in contact with CZ-USA and we are getting at least one to play with.. Woohoo..

Rockon71385

Founding Member
Very cool news. I didn't even know CZ made a shotgun. I'm excited to hear how these work out. A shotgun that starts at $400 leaves plenty of room for custom work before you even get close to the benelli price tag. CZ is also involved in our sport, and offers parts and support.

WideLoadTimmy

Well-Known Fanatic
I was just looking at their website. It looks like the 712 utility is the shorter of the two 712 models. Would that have any effect on how they shoot or who wold buy them ?

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
We will get a pair of the 712 utility's after SHOT. Kurt is going to work with the CZ guys while out there in Vegas. Should be cool. If they are worth half the expectation, it will be twice the gun as the mossberg. The 20" with chokes should be sweet. Nordic has the thread dimensions and is making a pair of tubes for us..

bsdubois00

Head Honcho Emeritus
Mike - is this the 712 or the 712 utility ya'll are getting?

Notice the Utility has a shorter barrel thats why I was curious

redneck1861

No, I didn't get arrested
I think that I will be buying that CZ here pretty soon, especially if it can be modified with a tube extension,

Chambers

actual GM
I think that I will be buying that CZ here pretty soon, especially if it can be modified with a tube extension,

Hold that thought. There's not a 3-gun match next month, and probably not one for a few more months (just rifle).

Wait until Kurt M and Mike P get one of them, kick the crap out of it, and give it a grade. You don't want a cheap shotgun that isn't worth a damn. A pump gun is better than an autoloader that continually jams. For now I say get a real stock for your gun and wait it out.

Our very own Wormydog bought a Mossberg 930 SPX (ha) and had it for like a week before he sold it. Only one shotgun has really proven itself for this kind of work, and it's the Benelli M1/M2, though there are quite a few FN SLPs out there.

Spiff

Semi-Pro
Our very own Wormydog bought a Mossberg 930 SPX (ha) and had it for like a week before he sold it. Only one shotgun has really proven itself for this kind of work, and it's the Benelli M1/M2, though there are quite a few FN SLPs out there.

I thought about offering $50 to him for it after one particular stage, but decided to keep my mouth shut instead.

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
I was ready to throw that damn gun into the woods and leave it!

I wasnt too happy with my FN slp this weekend but I'm not quite ready to chunk it yet.

Latest posts