USSA competition handgun course

Browtine

Well-Known Fanatic
Has anybody taken the USSA 3 day competition handgun course? It sounds like a great course with two days of instruction and then shooting the USSA monthly match with the instructors on Saturday.

I just started USPSA at the beginning of the year and classified as a low B in production, but feel like I've kind of plateaued over the last several months. I'm thinking this class will be a good step in my quest for improvement.

ChrisC

Revolver Division
who are the instructors? I haven't attended any training from USSA but I have at TDSA. B?eing a revo guy there isn't going to be a lot of local help with my game..

TDSA
Straighter Solutions
USSA

all offer local (to us) training in this subject matter..

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Myself and Chris Andersen took that class as our first competition class. It helped tremendously! We were fortunate to take the class with both Mike Seeklander and Pat Doyle who are both GM's. Not sure what part if Kansas you're in but Seeklander us teaching a class in OKC n July I believe. There is a thread in the training section started by predator on the topic.

Prdator

Keepers Concealment
Mike Seeklander will be teaching his " Your Handgun Competition Training Guide" this Sept 29-30 and Oct 1 at the OKC gun club.
More info can be found here http://www.shooting-performance.com/Shooting-Performance/Welcome.html
Email me at [email protected] for more info.

Browtine

Well-Known Fanatic
Mike Seeklander will be teaching his " Your Handgun Competition Training Guide" this Sept 29-30 and Oct 1 at the OKC gun club.
More info can be found here http://www.shooting-performance.com/Shooting-Performance/Welcome.html
Email me at [email protected] for more info.

Mike responded to my email and said he was the lead instructor for the USSA class. I didn't know about his "Your handgun competition training guide" course. It looks like that course covers the points and drills in his book and is $200 cheaper. I sent him another email asking what the major differences were between the two classes.

I'll report back.

bboswell

Well-Known Fanatic
I was very pleased with the class. Mike is an incredible teacher. I have taken some other USSA classes as well and have always felt the instruction was top notch. To be fair, I haven't taken classes elsewhere, but would guess TDSA also very good, as Eric Fusion and Jay Mackey are excellent instructors who have helped me, and many of the other instructors sucessful competitors. But I can't imagine anyone being dissatisfied with the USSA competition class. It is a great investment.

Browtine

Well-Known Fanatic
In case anyone was wondering, Mike responded about the differences between the two classes. He said the USSA class is a lot more prop intensive (barricades, movers, steel etc) and the class will shoot a match together on the 3rd day. His other course will cover the techniques from his book.

Either one sound pretty darn good to me. I went ahead and signed up for the October class at USSA.

Thanks for the feedback guys.