USPSA Carry Optics Division

dennishoddy

I'm looking at entering into this division. I see M&P has a 9mm pro.
Would that optic fit my .40 pro?

Are there any optics out there that would fit my M&P ,40 Pro?

Professor

Well-Known Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
I'm looking at entering into this division. I see M&P has a 9mm pro.
Would that optic fit my .40 pro?

Are there any optics out there that would fit my M&P ,40 Pro?

The M&P models are virtually identical between the 9mm and .40 caliber versions. The primary difference is the width of the hood/slot to prevent placing a .40 barrel in a 9mm slide. The model I believe you are referring to is the C.O.R.E. S&W shows it online with an optic on it, but the optic is aftermarket. The slide is milled and it includes adapter plates for various optics. I know the delta point and RMR are supported, but there are 3-4 plates included. The sights are also taller to allow them to co-witness with some of the optics. The iron rear sight is unique to the CORE and so far I've only saw it available from Dawson.

So your slide will require milling to allow it to work with your selected optic.

In my opinion you would be better off buying a factory CORE than modifying yours. This would allow you to change to a different optic as most gunsmith milled slides are optic specific.

The class is also minor scored only so you would have to decide if you thought .40 had an advantage over 9mm. Be careful that some models are equipped with ported barrels and slides. Slides are allowed but not the barrels. Also a conversion barrel is not approved.

I came across a deal on a .40 CORE with a RMR and have a bit of buyers remorse as it doesn't fit in the USPSA rules as I would like. I really wish I'd bought a 5" 9mm version, but the deal was right on this one.(and it makes an awesome suppressor host!!)

Yell if you want to fondle and/or shoot it and I'll bring it to the next PC steel challenge or somewhere.

6b15da6e4f8497d2038693ef45235dde.jpg

irons_shooter

TOLA Guy
There are adapters for the rear sight cut for the M&P that you can use to mount one without modifying your slide. I know JP has one and I am pretty sure there are others out there.