USPSA Carry Optics Division

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
The USPSA Board of Directors has approved Carry Optics as a provisional division.

- There is an established division entered into EZWinScore.
- Coding has been amended to accept Carry Optics scores for provisional classification and data collection.
- Carry Optics entries are limited to Level 1 matches until Jan 1, 2016.

"The BOD will evaluate competitor participation and review the data at the next in-person meeting. It is the intention of the BOD to use this information, industry input, and member feedback to either approve or disapprove Carry Optics as a viable division for Level 2 and above events during 2016 and beyond.
Carry Optics is a Provisional Division to ensure that necessary changes can be made without waiting the mandatory two years. This will ensure that pressing divisional changes can be immediately made based on member and industry feedback."

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
most likely, the same as production but you get a dot on your pistol

Matt Rigsby said:
I would assume that since it's a carry optic, it would have to be slide mounted.
assuming uspsa rules is a losing battle. plus, it would be limiting development and innovation. I can see where a frame mounted gun would work and have lots of advantages and be perfectly fine for carry. other than the fact its got a dot, lol.

Matt1911

Cyrwus Jr.
I can see where a frame mounted gun would require a speed holster, and therefore be Limited optics or better known as Open.

Matt Rigsby said:
I can see where a frame mounted gun would require a speed holster, and therefore be Limited optics or better known as Open.
And I can see where it wouldnt need one. and have many advantages over a slide rode rds

technetium-99m

Mighty Righty
If it needs to happen make guys put the sight on the back of the slide, if the goal really is to make an out of the box dot division the back of the slide is the most reasonable place.

Letting innovation run wild is an open concept IMO.

TerryKendell

Well-Known Fanatic
Posted Yesterday, 11:23 PM
From the USPSA forum (Bruce Gary)
The particulars were supposed to be published with the minutes. Working on that.
In *broad* terms, Carry Optics will start out being any Production-legal gun with a slide-mounted optic, with a couple of guardrails
-- max weight of 33oz, including optic and empty mag
-- no box, but a max mag-length
-- no more than 4 oz over the weight shown on the Production gun list
-- all other Production-division rules (allowed modifications, etc) still apply
I would make a couple of recommendations
1) wait until the provisional rules are published before making any decisions
2) be *sure* that any modifications you make to a production-legal gun don't make it illegal if you want to go back to Production
3) tell us what you think. We're starting small, gathering data, and will be making decisions (changes, whatever) as we learn.

technetium-99m said:
If it needs to happen make guys put the sight on the back of the slide, if the goal really is to make an out of the box dot division the back of the slide is the most reasonable place.

Letting innovation run wild is an open concept IMO.
reasonable in as far as how its been done thus far.. You let ipsc run wild with this division for a few years and none of these carry guns with dots will look like they do now.

this is just mike being a visionary.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
I know a few guys that use a M&P or Glock with slide mounted optic in 3gun for open. They want to start shooting this division in USPSA once the rufles are released. I know Jerry Miculek uses an M&P that would fit in this division.

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Mitch Gibson said:
My kids saw the article about carry optics pistols in one of the last issues of American Rifleman. They think carry optics is cool. Maybe it's the future of shooting.
They are their fathers daughters

Latest posts