The Iconic 45 Automatic Colt Pistol.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
All of my colts, Sigs, Kahrs are chambered in 45 ACP.
It just never occurred to me that my 1911s or other pistols could come in any other flavor.

When you study the history of this old war horse cartridge it has a Steller history as a Man stopper.
Today the 1911 comes in many flavors that were never thought of back in 1911.

To me to me the 1911 is a 45 automatic with a big slow bullet that gets the job done. A real big Bore :D

12114i_ts.jpg

Last edited:

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
All of my colts, Sigs, Kahrs are chambered in 45 ACP.
It just never occurred to me that my 1911s or other pistols could come in any other flavor.

When you study the history of this old war horse cartridge it has a Steller history as a Man stopper.
Today the 1911 comes in many flavors that were never thought of back in 1911.

To me to me the 1911 is a 45 automatic with a big slow bullet that gets the job done. A real big Bore :D

View attachment 9055
It's like me. Short, fat and slow. But it gets the job done. :rolleyes:

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Most know I served with a holstered m1911A1 strapped to my side. Love the pistol and also love the .45 auto .
However,,,,,,, also love the 1911 chambered in super 38. If you haven;t shot a steel gov't model chambered in super, well its just a treat. Straight walled, same coal as .45auto, so it feeds just as well. Love it
apologies for the bad pic20210905_162423.jpg

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
Most know I served with a holstered m1911A1 strapped to my side. Love the pistol and also love the .45 auto .
However,,,,,,, also love the 1911 chambered in super 38. If you haven;t shot a steel gov't model chambered in super, well its just a treat. Straight walled, same coal as .45auto, so it feeds just as well. Love it
apologies for the bad picView attachment 9056
Good looking 1911. Thank-you sir, for your service.

switchback

Well-Known Fanatic
Geez, I wasn't advocating for the super38 to replace the 45 auto round.

The pictured grips are courtesy of Esmerelda. About a decade ago or so. They have never found a forever home on any of my 1911s. Perhaps because they are signed? I dunno, maybe she signs them all? And truthfully I doubt they are forever on this commercial Colt. With no checkering, I need grips with more texture. But they are beautiful and I think they look great.

While this Colt has a few blemishes, the bluing is amazing in person. And function is flawless.

CECannonJr

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

The pictured grips are courtesy of Esmerelda. About a decade ago or so. They have never found a forever home on any of my 1911s. Perhaps because they are signed? I dunno, maybe she signs them all? And truthfully I doubt they are forever on this commercial Colt. With no checkering, I need grips with more texture. But they are beautiful and I think they look great.

While this Colt has a few blemishes, the bluing is amazing in person. And function is flawless.
That Colt has no blemishes. It has the character of an experienced work horse ;)

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

I must have missed it but. What year is you Colt?

BillBro68

Well-Known Fanatic
Always been intrigued by the 38Super and did regret my decision of the DW Silverback in 10mm for a minute, for just a minute and then told myself next time. The Big10 is a horse tall and does a 1911 proud.
I love the 45acp cartridge and have more handguns chambered for that than others but the 10 is, in my view and experience far more versatile, anywhere from 135gr Nosler hollow points screaming out the tube at 1633fps to a 200gr golddot at a sedate and leisurely 1340fps and many in between, the 10mm is just plain fun.
Dont hate on me please.

Is it fact that the original bullet weight was a 200gr bullet? That happens to be what my best load is, a 200gr Hornady XTP over 8.8gr of A5 and a WLP primer. I'm not so terribly different from everyone else on this , I have always loved the 45acp, always will too.

mm1911

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm not gonna hate on you, lots of folks like 10mm, I had a RIA commander in 10mm but I didn't enjoy it that much so I sold it but I get it, we like what we like

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
apologies for the bad picView attachment 9056
No apologies needed, a fine looking firearm

Ohrings

Fanatic
There was a time that colt did manufacture a ,22lr conversion for military and civilian use. I owned on for several years before someone mad me an Iffer I couldn't refuse.

apipeguy

Well-Known Fanatic
A 1911 in .45 is the king of guns. I always carry one but do own a couple in 9mm. Much prefer to and enjoy shooting a .45 more than the 9's. With that said, over the course of this summer I have shot about 3,000 rounds of each caliber. Probably that many 9's due to not wanting to deplete my stash of LPP's. If I know that I'm going to have a very high count range day, I often choose a 9. Being a certified senior citizen it is just a little easier on my body.