Tactical vs Competition

Tru Dat!

My opinion is its all about trigger control and sight alignment. These games started from the tactical crowd.... now they're just fun :) It all crosses over, just depends on the mindset

Wormydog1724

ATAS Ninja
Thanks guys. I feed the fire quite a bit by using Armordillo Concealment gear in every match and my Battle Comp on my AR with back up iron sights (and sometimes a flashlight), and my strange love for Magpul stuff. It's all in good fun.

Jeremy... I want your AR...'nuff said.

Lol which one!?

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
One more thought along the lines of Burk's Team Ropeing analagy. Like Burk I migh not know what to do with the body after I shoot it full of holes, but I can shoot it full of holes real fast! :85:

ChrisC

Revolver Division
Troy beat me to it.....FBI

this conversation makes me think of putting a round peg into a square hole.......I think kirk summed it up......

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
Mike you are a fine modern gentleman, despite that cheap shot...lol...but I can see that running the gun is trained in competition, those tools always bleed over, the only seperation is mental as several of you have said. I feel the all the things I have done in competition here so far have made me a better shooter, with a doubt. But as far as saying I WILL NEVER face a group of angry people trying to kill me, I dont think Im willing to jinx myself that badly. I hope not. But if it happens I want to be prepared. Thats all Im saying. As many of you know, I was a Marine, no I wasnt a door kicker, but I trained to fight, just like any other Marine. I dont look down on anyone for the way the play the games, but dont look down on me because I dont play it your way.

I really would like to get a chance to do some simunition training, Ive been cracked several times and its pretty hot but I def enjoyed the hell out of it. Im down any time troy, I just have to get over this damn ankle problem. I think I see a group here on BS that even though they poke fun, they always have each others best interest at mind, its hard sometimes for those of us that dont know everyone to get a feel for how some people are and I just wanted to see everyones opinion on this.

Mitch Rapp

Well-Known Fanatic
Eric Fuson, who convinced me to shoot my first match (and who someone needs to draft to join the site) put it best when comparing competition to real life. "When are you ever going to be hurt by knowing how to shoot fast and accurate, and reload, all while moving?"

dennishoddy

But as far as saying I WILL NEVER face a group of angry people trying to kill me, I dont think Im willing to jinx myself that badly. I hope not. But if it happens I want to be prepared. Thats all Im saying. As many of you know, I was a Marine, no I wasnt a door kicker, but I trained to fight, just like any other Marine. I dont look down on anyone for the way the play the games, but dont look down on me because I dont play it your way.

I will have to chime in now as I've been on both sides of the coin. 16 years US Army, 1st Signal Brigade, 366th Battalion, RVN in 1970-71.Not unfamiliar with being in a gunfight.
Lifetime hunter and shooter. USPSA for a couple of years now, and a club instructor for the US Army Reserve that comes to train at the Ponca City Range.

Basically, I have to go with Kurt. Current military training in firearms sucks, especially for the reserve units that are the backbone of the conflicts we are currently engaged in. People cycle in and out, and budget cuts have reduced range time for the reserves to the point that they only have to shoot 40 rounds a year to qualify. Two stinking mags. That sucks. Found out this year we cannot train the Reserve Unit, as our range does not meet the Gov Regs for a drop out area for an approved outdoor range. 4 miles. We have Three miles.
We shot thousands of rounds on active duty in practice back in the day. After serving 5 1/2 years active, the reserves still shot at least a thousand rounds at summer camp, along with tactical training.
Current reserve training has soldiers trying to load mags backwards, as they are not familiar enough with the platform. Most have never shot the Issue sidearm.

My time spent shooting USPSA, steel challenge, and other sanctioned matches reinforces the feeling that if faced with multiple targets, my tactical side is not going to allow me to stand in place and see how many I can shoot quickly. I'm going to be running for cover, and attempting to put well aimed shots on target, I.E. bad guys.

So, I think that each side of the topic actually enhances the other. Shooting under pressure, be it timer or potential threat is different, but then again similar. Pressure is pressure and one needs to learn how to handle it.

Those that practice any type of training, be it tactical, or competition run and gun stands a much better chance against a bad guy that has a whammy stuck in his waist band, as a wanna be badass.

Corey

Well-Known Fanatic
When the May 3G match was being setup I still remember the first time I asked Jesse how much to shoot my second question was 15 per stage third question was only 15 for all the stages.
I showed up with a trap bag to hold shotgun shells & 3 33 rd Glock magazines. When I think of Boomershooter we definitely got all types from gamer to military, mixed in with Leo's, rednecks & misc(lol).
I am glad to be a part of this group
I still smile when see the picture of Rusty's stroller and his 2 babies

I dont get into the gamer vs tactical thing because when it comes down to it its all about personal responsibility and duty.

I know what I can and can not do, and ive put a lot of time in, in both arenas, and i know Im going to put a mf-er or -ers stone cold down when I need to.

and I know Ill be kissing my wifes cheek and playing with my dogs not much longer after that.

tbird63b

Well-Known Fanatic
Im kind of in the middle. I like to shoot competition, just for the basic firearms practice. My tactical training comes into affect naturally. like putting down the correct knee;when shooting from behind cover. Pie a corner when moving from one position to the next. I know its slow, but I like to take my Army training, and practice it and get faster at the basic fundamentals. I own a plate carrier, IBA, ACH helmet, and all other kinds of tactical equipment. But to show up to a civilian competition decked out in combat gear doesn't really make sense to me. Especially if someone isn't in the military, or police force. It doesn't seem very practical to even have that stuff. I train for War against an Enemy that is real. So it makes sense to want to train tactically in full battle rattle, but it isn't very practical in the civilian sector. But to think that an average joe needs to be equipped with a bayonet, infrared markers, flash and smoke grenades is kinda silly. I say shoot what ya wanna shoot, and I know that there are guys that have zero tactical training out there;but have shot in 3 gun competitions, and can probably make my joes look like amateurs. I think i steered away from the point i was trying to make. But im just saying there's no reason to look down on guys with the bright colored comp set up, or the guys with the tactical set up. to each his own.

McGuire

Well-Known Fanatic
Exactly the point Im trying to make. I just think its easy to forget sometimes.
But im just saying there's no reason to look down on guys with the bright colored comp set up, or the guys with the tactical set up. to each his own.

KurtM

Well-Known Fanatic
Gee McGuier, you coulda just posted that 3 pages ago and save all this inter-web space.

I would like to end this (hopefully) by pointing out that "tactical/tactics is highly miss-used. Here is a great example of what "tactics" really is. The quote is from Col. Jeff Cooper.

"The roses, the wine, the nice dinner and stolling minstrals are all a stratagy.....after that point it,s all tactics"

Latest posts