Stoeger M3000 vs. Mossberg 930 JM Pro

Jonathan Brooks

Fanatic
Bought a 26" M3000 from Sportsworld for $437+tax yesterday.
Went out after the storms and shot it this morning. Shot 10 rounds of 3" #5 turkey loads through to break it in. Stoeger recommends more, but the action was already damn smooth from the factory. Holy chit those 3" hurt!
Then I ran 80 2.75" weak, low brass through it without a single hiccup. it'll even shoot that weak stuff from the hip. I have video, but its all embarrassing (I make goofy faces).
Now to modify it for 3-gun before next month's match at USSA!

Thanks Jesse for the recommendation. That might have been the best buy of any gun I own!

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Cyrwus reports that of the 3 Stoeger M3000's he got in, the Nova nut from Nordic fits like a champ with no modification.

This was also my experience with the Stoeger I got in for Jesse.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
I was looking at both of these guns when I bought my current shotgun. Was using a Stoeger M2000, which I really liked. Ate anything I fed it and was super reliable. The only reason I went with the Mossberg 930 JM Pro is because I want to put an XRail on it later this year. If they made an XRail for the Stoeger, I would have bought it instead.

bullittmcqueen

Well-Known Fanatic
I don't have any experience with the Stoeger but I know enough people and shoot with enough people who do to know that it is the best option in this price range. I have all but abandoned the JM Pro, mine sits in the safe and is for sale. Mine always ran fine but I also worked hard to keep it clean and keep it running. Many others can't say the same. I went to Benelli and never looked back.

The fact that it functions like a Benelli and parts are for the most part interchangeable makes the Stoeger the clear cut winner here. I would venture to say that if I had it to do over again I may have tried the Stoeger before going straight to a Benelli if they had been available at the time i made the move.

bullittmcqueen

Well-Known Fanatic
mike cyrwus said:
a stoeger is NOT a benelli
Not trying to say that at all.

EDIT: Mike let me ask you to elaborate. Are you just saying that from a quality standpoint, function standpoint, or what? Just asking for my own learning since I guess I stepped in a hole here.

MarkCO

Well-Known Fanatic
I'd say the Stoeger design is "Italian" quality, but the machining fit and finish is "Turkish" quality. The M2 has no reliability advantage related to the design, only the implementation. All of which can be fixed and still be well under the cost of a stock M2.

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Fit, Finish & quality of materials aren't the same.
The manual of arms is the same & the internal design is similar but I wouldn't go so far as to say a lot of the parts are interchangeable.

Just remember the old saying, you get what you pay for.
I think the Stoeger is a great lower cost option, but I doubt they'll last as long as a Benelli.
We put these shotguns through quite a bit. It'll be interesting to see how they hold up over the next couple years.

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
mike cyrwus said:
Pretty close though design wise. Close enough that Benelli sued Stoeger for patent infringement. But Stoeger had changed just enough to win the case in court. Which is when Benelli (or Beretta whoever the main company is) bought them. As other have said though, the fit and finish on the Benelli's are much better.

QC at Stoeger did improve once they were bought out.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
I did not know about the story behind the Stoeger purchase by Beretta/Benelli. That's interesting.

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
mike cyrwus said:
And thankfully not a JM Pro either. I don't know how long it will hold up, but I do know mine has "completed" more matches than my old JM. Benelli someday, M3K today.

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
Wall said:
Fit, Finish & quality of materials aren't the same.
I know the one that I have, the barrel will turn orange when there is rain in the forecast. One thing that you have to do is get the barrel cerakoted.

bullittmcqueen said:
Not trying to say that at all.

EDIT: Mike let me ask you to elaborate. Are you just saying that from a quality standpoint, function standpoint, or what? Just asking for my own learning since I guess I stepped in a hole here.
its a sloppy gun compared to other more expensive and arguably better choices, and wont hold up to wear and long term use. My opinion. Also, I hate spending my time fixing things I prefer to work in granite, not limestone.

MarkCO

Well-Known Fanatic
mike cyrwus said:
its a sloppy gun compared to other more expensive and arguably better choices, and wont hold up to wear and long term use. My opinion. Also, I hate spending my time fixing things I prefer to work in granite, not limestone.
Just curious, you know the grades of materials used in the Stoeger are inferior to other guns, or just guessing? While I agree it is sloppy in term of fit and finish, I don't see anything from a design or materials standpoint that is consistent with your assertion that they will not wear well long term. If you have 10K through yours and are seeing issues, I would sure like to know that.

Mark, Im not doing the Enos group discussion thing here, Im giving my opinion. It is free for all to do with it as you all wish.

MarkCO

Well-Known Fanatic
All I want to know is what you base your opinion (which I do value) on. I thought it was okay to discuss things on discussion forums.

I apologize for being gruff. forum discussions are sum games; for the most part, you are just a vote for or against, just like joe bob who hasnt even taken it out of the box to shoot yet; no matter what you say.

I see bolt movement thats excessive, issues with holding the shells for consistent ejection, the m1/m2/vm spring pusher design I think is more self centering than the mag tube spring. the bolt head machining is ehh. shell catch is an abortion.
A lot of it comes down to that i can observe and inspect benellis in the shop and can see and predict possible issues because things are consistent, where I see more troubleshooting with stoegers.
m3000 3gun mods need to be more conservative. Im not ripping stoegers. they certainly have their place

Latest posts