Stoeger M3000 vs. Mossberg 930 JM Pro

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Seems like the most frequently asked question from shooters looking to start 3 gun is what is a good entry level shotgun. In my opinion the Benelli M2 is still the king of reliability and overall performance. But most new shooters aren't ready for a $1200 gun that needs a minimum of $130 of add ons to get it 3 gun ready. Right now the cheapest "3 gun" shotgun is the Mossberg 930 JM Pro. I'm a big fan of the reliability that comes with an inertia driven gun like the Benelli M2. So I've been playing with the Stoeger M3000 after reading Patrick Kelley's article on getting the M3000 3-gun ready in the January 2014 copy of shooting Illustrated. Here is a breakdown comparing what I see as the two least expensive options for a semi auto shotgun to get you started.

Mossberg costs $650 if you can find one and you still need to weld the lifter for $50. Total $700

Stoeger costs $450, oversized safety $25, mag tube $80, mag tube clamp $30 , oversized bolt handle $30, hi viz front sight $30. Total $645

Both guns need the loading port opened up.
Stoeger doesn't need the lifter welded.
Stoeger's forearm shape doesn't interfere with quad loading as much.
Mossberg safety is ambi.
Stoeger safety isn't reversible.
Mossberg is gas operated.
Stoeger is inertia operated.
Both could benefit from a softer recoil pad.
Stoeger has more recoil than Mossberg.

jtischauser

I've never shot the Mossberg. I won one when they first came out and it shouldered well and the trigger was nice but I sold it unfired NIB. I knew it wasn't going to replace my M2. Reliability is king which is why I shoot inertia guns.

Ian Swope

Well-Known Fanatic
I've never shot a JM so I'm not up on how the feel would be different from any other 930 but from the two 930's I've shot I have to say that I don't find the recoil that bad from the Stoeger over the 930. It's definitely harder but not so much that it's a deal breaker or anything. I haven't shot the Stoeger in a match yet, nor put more than about 50 rounds through it so I'm very interested to see how it holds up. I have, however, seen plenty of 930's fail at matches. Certainly more than most of the other shotguns except maybe the SLP. Of course, I don't go to nearly as many matches as you per year so take that for what it's worth.

Mondo Garcia

Well-Known Fanatic
I have had a JM for over a year now and it goes boom every time I pull the trigger. I did get the lifter welded, and that was by far the best upgrade I could of ever done.

JustSayWhen

Well-Known Fanatic
I have shot both and seen both shot in competition... I have watched two JM Pro's turn into single shots after about 70 rounds in a competition. (Both at USSA) We ran Jesses stoeger and it took about 300 rounds at the same competition from like 3-4 different shooters that were newer and not one hiccup. I'll pick the stoeger.

Ian Swope

Well-Known Fanatic
PEK has done some serious torture testing with an unmodified M3000 and came away singing its praises.

Jim Rutske

New Fanatic
I have been using a JM 930 for over a year. I did open up the loading port via Dremel and had the lifter welded. I also put a rear sight on it and extended chokes. Love the gun and it has served me well. As long as the piston is cleaned I have never had an issue. It is fast, soft shooting, and shoots slugs like a laser. I do wish it had a larger bolt release, that little button is hard to hit sometimes. Oh and it doesn't like 3" Prairie Storm rounds...had to send it back to Mossberg for a new gas ring :)

Like many of us...saving up for a tricked out M2

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
My JM Pro is awesome. But, that wasn't always the case. There was a time I considered using it as a fence post. I paid $609 for it, and it was a lemon right out of the box. But I found a gunsmith willing to work on it and man what a difference. It shoulders great, shoots soft and fast. Basically it feels to me how a shotgun should feel. Cost? Another 300 bones. So now I'm at over $900 for an entry level, but capable 3Gun shotgun.

That being said, I have a Stoeger M 3000 on the way. Probably, if I have it tricked out similarly to my JM Pro, looking at another $300 or so. Of course I could do some myself, but trying to compare apples to apples. Potential to save around $200.

Here's the heart of it. Like Jesse said, not everyone can pay for a tricked out M2 or VM. Yes, between both, I could have an M2, but 3 or 4 shooters would have to share. I hope the Stoeger won't require the attention the JM did, but it is a $450 shotgun. I can't wait to see how they match up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

a couple things I might add about stoeger.
1. Im sure the safety can be made ambi, ill look into it.
2.if truly on a budget, and youre a beginner, keep the stock safety button $25, stick with the stock bolt handle save the $25, and keep the mag tube to a reasonable length (remember, talking budget novice/beginner gun here) and skip the $30 clamp. Just saved you $80!

jtischauser

mike cyrwus said:
a couple things I might add about stoeger.
1. Im sure the safety can be made ambi, ill look into it.
2.if truly on a budget, and youre a beginner, keep the stock safety button $25, stick with the stock bolt handle save the $25, and keep the mag tube to a reasonable length (remember, talking budget novice/beginner gun here) and skip the $30 clamp. Just saved you $80!
Great points Mike! I was trying to dice outbreak Stoeger with the same options as the Mossberg but you're 100% correct about not needing anything but the $80 mag tube extension. My M3000 was $439, $30 shipping, and $80 tube. Total $549. I opened the port hole by hand and polished the OEM mag tube where the recoil spring rides and it's been game on since.

Not having to weld the lifter is a huge bonus for the Stoeger and new shooters. I'll have to disagree with your recommendation of a short tube. I feel it's better for new shooters to have more ammo than to have less.

Bob Sanders

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm going with Mike's advice. I really don't know the value of the big bolt handle anyway. But then again, I suck at 3Gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

jtischauser

Big bolt handles are easier to get hooked on barrels and walls and door ways which is a bad thing. But they look super cool so who cares if their bad for you. So is sex drugs and rock n roll but that never stopped anyone.

Personally I like a handle that rotates so if it does get hooked hopefully it spins free. its also nice when my Nordic handle spins when I rack it with my driving finger on empty chamber starts.

Brian Holcomb

Fanatic
I'm in the process of building a Stoeger right now. Provided that USPS gets it's **** together I'll have the last of my parts in today. I bought the gun slightly used, for $425. I opened the hell out of the port the evening that I got it, but here's what I have in additional parts:

+6 Nordic Tube: $79
Nordic Barrel Clamp: $32
Matchsaver shell holder: $24.95
TTi extended safety: $27.99
Redneck Tactical shotgun release tab (through Taccom): $28

With shipping costs, I'm at about $635, which still puts me $100 or so ahead of picking up a JM Pro off of gunbroker. I'll run it in a match on the 8th and we'll see how it does.

jtischauser

Have you tried the RNT bolt release tab? I'm curious to hear if that fits? Its a very newbie friendly part as it can be installed by an idiot like me. No drilling or tapping

hunter_dmw12

Well-Known Fanatic
[SIZE=10.5pt]Thanks for stating this one Jesse. I don’t have the jm pro but have the 930 Flannigan almost the same gun. I also own the stoeger 3000. With The 930 I have had my share of failures and double feeds as well as too many bloody thumbs before I welded. Not impressed. With the stoeger 3000 I watched some guy on the internet claiming to be a pro ( [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] :sarcastichand: [/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] ) file open the loading port so I did the same. Between my wife and I we have shot over 500 rounds through it with only one failure. We broke the gun in with a box of 3 inch heavy loads and it has functioned the wal-mart cheap ammo like butter. Stoger has the odd silver button to add to the confusion, 930 is just like every other auto push the button and rock. As far as safety location I like 930 locations better. My 3000 came with a hi-viz style front sight as did the 930 so that is a wash, as far as gas operation vs. inertia I will take the inertia any day. Seem with the gas operation is a constant cleaning battle. They both would benefit from a recoil pad. My 930 did come with the Nordic tube and clamp and the stoger has to have $90 thrown at it for the tube and hope it works. in the end if I had to choose and have a few more rounds down range i would take the stoeger 3000 hands down. This is no slam on mossberg These are just my opinions so take them with a grain of salt. I hope it h[/SIZE]

Ian Swope

Well-Known Fanatic
I also did my port opening by hand and I must say that if I had an M2 I'd dropped some coin on I'd be much less inclined to possibly muck it up myself. I'd probably just spend the extra couple hundred to send it out to someone to have done nicely. Given the low price of the Stoeger, however, I was much less hesitant to dive right in with a dremel and a few files and sandpaper and do it myself. Is it the prettiest job ever? Not by a long shot. Does it work, though? Absolutely and I can load 2 and quad load pretty easily on it.

Robaire Pullicar

arch-nemesis
I was just recently looking for a shotgun for 3 gun. I purchased a JM pro from H&H they had several in stock two weeks ago both 22 and 24 inch. I bought a 24 took it home pulled it out of the box. All I did was tighten the choke tube took it outside and ran 200 walmart federal shells through it with one failure that I believe was my fault. Once the tube was loaded when I dropped the bolt the shell fell out the loading port which leaves me to believe I didn't have it inserted all the way in the tube. All in all I'm happy with my purchase so far.

Robaire Pullicar

arch-nemesis
I forgot to mention the reason I finally went with the JM being the safety. Since I scoured the interweb and couldn't find anything on concreting stoeger to left hand safety.

Tiny

Fanatic
Jim Rutske said:
I have been using a JM 930 for over a year. I did open up the loading port via Dremel and had the lifter welded. I also put a rear sight on it and extended chokes. Love the gun and it has served me well. As long as the piston is cleaned I have never had an issue. It is fast, soft shooting, and shoots slugs like a laser. I do wish it had a larger bolt release, that little button is hard to hit sometimes. Oh and it doesn't like 3" Prairie Storm rounds...had to send it back to Mossberg for a new gas ring :)

Like many of us...saving up for a tricked out M2
Jim which chokes do you use? I have been looking for chokes trying to figure out which ones fit.

Latest posts