Springfield Armory XD-M in 10mm : Any Opinions?

TENWOLVES

Fanatic
Great review of the XDM. I'm curious, did you have any issues with the grip size? A friend of mine had a Glock 20, and with the double stack mag, it was too much for me to hang on to comfortably without having to re-adjust my grip after discharge. Do you have any experience with the Glock 20, and if so, how does the grip compare? Thanks for your time on this.
my XDM 10 is easier to hold and shoot than my Glock 20, both are great guns, but this XDM fits me better and I'm much more accurate with it, hope this helps...

Pandaz3

Well-Known Fanatic
It really doesn't take a "new factory" to make a pistol. it would be a production run, then change to something else.

I am aware that they are importing a pistol that is already being made. I don't feel that is a reason though for slapping the SA name on it. Again, thats for max profit with no concern for the country where its being sold. And SA often plays on its American history as a selling point.

And SA has a checkered history in its concern for anything other than its own interest. And yes, I do own a SA (TRP OP 6" 10MM).
And where do you put that 1911 tooling when you switch production runs. How much time and effort are made changing the tooling? How much production time is lost? Who replaces that money? Do they charge more for 1911's, plastic guns, or both? How will that play out in the market?

I do think they would have to make a dedicated factory, I think they could do that, but there is a big price to pay. Do you think the Croatian government is going to let that tooling go? What are the new tooling costs?

My 1911's are Ruger and RIA, but I have a dozen plastic Springfield's

Rattlesnake Charlie

New Fanatic
I have a XD in .45 ACP. I've put several thousand rounds through it since I bought it second hand. Great gun. A little hard to hang onto.

Roger Watkins

Fanatic
my XDM 10 is easier to hold and shoot than my Glock 20, both are great guns, but this XDM fits me better and I'm much more accurate with it, hope this helps...
Don't have any experience with the XDM but my wife's carry is a 9mm EMP. Loves it. Very reliable and accurate. She has a CT grip laser on it. Nice package

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
And where do you put that 1911 tooling when you switch production runs. How much time and effort are made changing the tooling? How much production time is lost? Who replaces that money? Do they charge more for 1911's, plastic guns, or both? How will that play out in the market?

1 possible scenario, is what other companies do. OUTSOURCE. Use AMERICAN vendors and SA assemblers. As for the design ... many others do "reverse enginerring". Its the way of the world.
And as popular as the plastic guns are, its doubtful that it would be much of a risk. Which is kinda what folks thought a fews yrs ago when it came to building 1911's at the start of the Glock like Era.

Liggett

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, at the start of the "Block" era, it was obvious that the demand for 1911's was still there and growing. Plastic pistols are a dime a dozen (more or less) these days and the search for the newest greatest "wonder nine" still continues. Case in point, look how Sig Sauer has no misgivings about making its latest offering obsolete within a few months of it's release. (and fixes). Seems there IS a lot of risk with new plastic designs as everyone tries to change the plastic just to have something "different" from the masses.
The 1911 on the other hand, just seems to keep having the original design refined, not made obsolete.

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
Seems there IS a lot of risk with new plastic designs

Hmm ... S&W seems to be nailing it. And they seem to be made in America as far as I can tell.

Even Sig has a lot of success with the plastic wonders, the 365 not withstanding. In fact, even though Sig stumbled terribly, they still sold the snot out of them and continue to do so.

Canik, Stoeger and the like seems to be optomistic.

Pandaz3

Well-Known Fanatic
Well I bought a new poly Hi Point 40, made in Ohio, have not shot it yet, but I wanted terdog to be happy.

terdog

Well-Known Fanatic
Isn't love a wonderful thing??? :p

Yesterday I took my AMERICAN MADE ;) Springfield Armory TRP OPERATOR 10MM 6" with me to work. I drive truck and there's a little local range in Bridgeport Ca that I was driving by.
Nothin like a little range time with lunch.SA bridgeport 020.jpgSA bridgeport 022.jpg

fflincher

Active Fanatic
I have an XDM in .45 that is a wonder to shoot! Also a Glock 41 in .45. I recently got a 10 mm barrel and some 10 mm magazines for the Glock and am assured just dropping in the barrel and using the different magazines will give me a gun that will shoot 10 mm, .45 ACP and .40 S&W (in the 10 mm barrel).

The XDM fits my hand much better than the 41, and I may wish for a Springfield 10 mm to replace the 10 mm Glock set up, but it'll take a couple of range visits to see how I do with the setup I now own.

Cost is, unfortunately, always a consideration.

Pandaz3

Well-Known Fanatic
My wife has not shot my bigger 10 MM's but she did shoot a magazine full with the G-29. She seems to be one of the rare people who like stock Glock sights. She was accurate and only complained that the grip was too short for her and she did not like the granulated Talon Grip Tape (Too bad I do). She has dry fired the G-20 and XDM10 5.25 and likes the XDM a little better, but she likes the G-20 okay (She likes Glock's). I have rubberized grip tape on all the other plastic 10's, Really helps with 'gator treads' of the XDM's, on the G-20 cause she says so.

Latest posts