Spinners

Eric1231

Well-Known Fanatic
What choke and load do you guys use on spinners? 10 yards ? 15 yards?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
You can spin them with IC at 10-15 yards. It depends how old they are. What ammo you use, etc etc. it's always best to ask the other shooters who shot it that day what has been working for them.

OR3GUN

Sponsor
A lot of it also depends on what the range and/or match allows for ammo. Some only allow 2.75" shells, #7.5 shot and/or 1300 FPS max.

With all of those restrictions in play, the Winchester AA Super Sport is what we usually use. It usually takes 2 shots at 12 yards with an LM choke.

If the shot size limit is there, but no velocity limit, the Federal High Brass or Remington Express Long Range at 1330 FPS with an extra 1/8 Oz of shot are good choices.

If it only has to be a 2.75" shell with #6 or smaller, then a Federal Prairie Storm or Browning BXD Extra will do, unless plated shot isn't allowed.

If there are no restrictions and no penalties for accidentally disassembling the spinner, a 2 oz Turkey load will do nicely in one shot.

The surface the spinner is on also seems to make a difference as to what is successful. On packed gravel, faster loads tend to rock the spinner back on its legs a bit and much of the energy is wasted. In this case, a slower, heaver load is probably more effective as the pattern shows up as more of a push than a slap. If the spinner is on dirt, grass or sand and the legs are seated in a bit the faster loads are again more effective.

If one of the ammo manufacturers wants to make a 2.75" shell with 1.5 Oz of #7.5 lead shot at 1275 FPS, we know where they can sell a bunch of it.

poopgiggle

B Class Nobody
OR3GUN said:
If one of the ammo manufacturers wants to make a 2.75" shell with 1.5 Oz of #7.5 lead shot at 1275 FPS, we know where they can sell a bunch of it.
brb buying 5 recoil pads

dennishoddy

OR3GUN said:
A lot of it also depends on what the range and/or match allows for ammo. Some only allow 2.75" shells, #7.5 shot and/or 1300 FPS max.

With all of those restrictions in play, the Winchester AA Super Sport is what we usually use. It usually takes 2 shots at 12 yards with an LM choke.

If the shot size limit is there, but no velocity limit, the Federal High Brass or Remington Express Long Range at 1330 FPS with an extra 1/8 Oz of shot are good choices.

If it only has to be a 2.75" shell with #6 or smaller, then a Federal Prairie Storm or Browning BXD Extra will do, unless plated shot isn't allowed.

If there are no restrictions and no penalties for accidentally disassembling the spinner, a 2 oz Turkey load will do nicely in one shot.

The surface the spinner is on also seems to make a difference as to what is successful. On packed gravel, faster loads tend to rock the spinner back on its legs a bit and much of the energy is wasted. In this case, a slower, heaver load is probably more effective as the pattern shows up as more of a push than a slap. If the spinner is on dirt, grass or sand and the legs are seated in a bit the faster loads are again more effective.

Winchester Turkey loads will meet your requirement. You will wish you got kicked by a mule after a couple of these.
http://www.winchester.com/Products/shotshell-ammunition/Advanced/Double-X/Pages/STH124.aspx

Tuflehundon

Cyrwus Says I'm Cool
The ranges near me that have spinners have not put restrictions on fps, but they do have to be 2 3/4" shells, and either 7 1/2 shot or 6 shot depending on the range. I have been using Fiocchi 2 3/4" 7 1/2 shot at 1485fps. Spins in one shot every single time.

OR3GUN

Sponsor
Tuflehundon (Rob Gee) said:
The ranges near me that have spinners have not put restrictions on fps, but they do have to be 2 3/4" shells, and either 7 1/2 shot or 6 shot depending on the range. I have been using Fiocchi 2 3/4" 7 1/2 shot at 1485fps. Spins in one shot every single time.
Is that a plated shot? We haven't found anything hotter than the Remington Express Long Range in 'all lead' #7.5 so far. Golden Pheasant?

dennishoddy said:
Winchester Turkey loads will meet your requirement. You will wish you got kicked by a mule after a couple of these.
http://www.winchester.com/Products/shotshell-ammunition/Advanced/Double-X/Pages/STH124.aspx
We went through half a case of those in various part testing. When I say 'we', I couldn't get anyone else to shoot more than one. My face hurt for a week after running a box of the 2 Oz 3.5" version of that load through a Mossberg 935. The rest of that case is being referred to as a 'lifetime supply'. I personally have a Mossberg 535 (3.5") pump that I can't imagine running those rounds through with my own face involved in any part of the process.

Admittedly, the proposed 1.5 Oz of #7.5 at 1275 FPS may be a little hot. Prairie Storm has a power factor of 820, with the proposed load at 837. If you drop it to 1250 FPS you are the same power factor as the Prairie Storm with less velocity and more payload, which is exactly what you need for a spinner and would meet the #7.5, lead only requirements of many ranges. It will hurt, but it will work.

For reference, Federal bulk packs are at 591 power factor. Remington Express Long Range is at 727 power factor. Those 2.75" Winchester Turkey loads are at 984. The 3.5" version of the Winchester Double-X Turkey load is 1138 power factor. With an XX-Full choke those will spin it in one shot from 30 yards. At 15 yards it will fully disassemble it.

Eric1231

Well-Known Fanatic
I tried a spinner this weekend at local match it was on gravel at about 13 yards I was using an ic choke with federal wings shot 7.5 1-1/4 1500fps
The spinner hardly moved for me Only one person in our squad was able to get it. Is the choke part of problem, shot size?
I am going try the 3" load Benny suggested as #6 shot is the limit at my clubs. This club didn't have limit on length. Do they make a 2-3/4 version of this?

OR3GUN

Sponsor
Eric1231 said:
I tried a spinner this weekend at local match it was on gravel at about 13 yards I was using an ic choke with federal wings shot 7.5 1-1/4 1500fps
The spinner hardly moved for me Only one person in our squad was able to get it. Is the choke part of problem, shot size?
I am going try the 3" load Benny suggested as #6 shot is the limit at my clubs. This club didn't have limit on length. Do they make a 2-3/4 version of this?

The MGM Spinner has a zerk fitting on the back for keeping the spinner's axle greased. It makes a big difference.

If it isn't an MGM, it's anyone's guess what it takes to get it over. If it is on packed gravel, watch the legs when the spinner is hit. It is likely being rocked back, absorbing the energy of the shot. At 13 yards, 1200 FPS bulk loads should get it done in 3-5 shots with a cylinder bore, depending on barrel length. The load you listed should do it in a single shot, two at the most.

Something isn't right with that spinner if only one person got it. Either that or you shot on a squad of people that clap on 1 & 3.

:music:

Here's a brief tutorial we did for our club when the first appearance of the spinner caused our shooters fits:

https://www.facebook.com/SiuslawIdpa/videos/715131418609773/

Brandon Deem

Well-Known Fanatic
OR3GUN said:
c8cc787884c057e63a6b1665aca93b66.jpg

Eric1231

Well-Known Fanatic
Nice video
What choke should you use at 15 yards with that 2 oz load to spin it in one shot

Burk Cornelius

Regular guy
Why do people insist on shooting wide open-er chokes then wonder why spinners don't spin and poppers don't pop?

Shoot a mans choke and aim a little bit.

posted via Tapatalk

OR3GUN

Sponsor
Eric1231 said:
Nice video
What choke should you use at 15 yards with that 2 oz load to spin it in one shot

Well, since we know that XX-Full clearly disassembles it, reverse engineering suggests something slightly more open to avoid the evil eye from the RO and/or MD.

Our local matches have a lot of guys running pumps and 18" barrels without the ability to run chokes. These matches also require the same choke be used for all stages. On the pro side we don't have a bunch of people fondling the muzzles of their shotguns at the 'safe table', changing chokes instead of helping reset. A definite con is having to pick your choke based on the totality of the match and violating Rule #2 on your own time. I usually run LM in most matches with a spinner, unless there is a sea of clays on the move and pigeon flippers in play, then I'll choose an IC for the match and run a Remington Express Long Range for the spinner in the stage (with our range's #7.5 lead limitation).

If you can't run a load that will do it regardless of choke, then run the tightest choke you can get away with for every round (including slugs) in the stage or match if you have to run the same in all stages. While 3-Gun is a thinking man's game, I try to do as much thinking as I can before the buzzer goes off. I also place these 'special' rounds in a location separate from my other rounds or I will end up using them on clays somehow.

Latest posts