Single vs ambi

Rusty Guns

Active Fanatic
Way back when I first got into LE, I carried a Colt Commander.
The first holster I had was a thumb break, and it would trip the safety when you sat in the seat of the patrol car. When the butt of the pistol got against the seatback, and you moved just right. I took it back where I bought it, and they had come out with a new design to fix the problem. I knew it would not fire but still made me uncomfortable to know the safety might be off when I drew it.

DPM

Well-Known Fanatic
Fellow southpaw here too, although I am right eye dominant. It's just natural for me to grab anything lefty in a split second. Been shooting firearms lefty since my dad first taught me how....
I have the opposite problem , right handed left eye dominant took a while to learn to shoot with both eyes open

MILSPEC-45

Fanatic
I see no reason for and ambi unless you're a lefty. I replaced the ambi safety on both my Rock Island and Colt XSE with Wilson Combat .

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
I see no reason for and ambi unless you're a lefty. I replaced the ambi safety on both my Rock Island and Colt XSE with Wilson Combat .
The reason for it is so you can fully control the gun without breaking grip during weak handed shooting. Reasons include pieing on the off side, getting wounded in the right arm or hand (common wounds in gun fights), or your primary has to do something else for whatever reason.

Reactions: Dub

Babboonbobo

Well-Known Fanatic
Me personally I just don't do ambi safety's, don't like em, don't want em, don't need em but as always that's just me.
I know a lot of people use them and like them and that's what works for them.

pistolpete

Active Fanatic
I'm a righty so no need for ambi. In addition the ambis all hit the my hand when I grip the pistol. I do have one left and it has small Colt tear drop paddles, it even hits my hand, if I didn't have other guns I'd remove it. Glad I'm not a lefty.

Kevin Rohrer

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family
1911 fans. I have one with ambi safety. Very dangerous as the right side safety bar can be reset to 'off' with ease. Bump it, rub against something, etc. your thoughts.
An Ambi safety is a solution in search of a problem, unless you are a Lefty (hand, not politics).

Latest posts