Shuemann Barrel Question........Please look

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
Hi

I have a pistol with a Shuemann L-355 38 super barrel.

I am posting this question because THEY DON'T SEEM TO ANSWER THE PHONE

This is a 38 super bull barrel in a custom STI pistol.

The barrel is marked; "Caliber 0.355"

Can I shoot + P's in this barrel? Does anyone know definitively?

Thanks

WWB

Well-Known Fanatic
I believe most 38 super is marked +p due to the fact it has same dimensions as 38acp. But I don't think it makes a difference..

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
Every pistol I have ever looked at that was chambered in 38 Super has been +P rated.

ive been told Shuemann barrels are +P rated, but I have not seen it on paper from Shuemann

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
Thanks very much guys.

It doesn't mention it on the Shuemann website and I think they have been sold and are not responding while they move..

Appreciate the imput

Rob Biedermann

Active Fanatic
Shuemann has always been hard to get on the phone... All his barrels are ok with +P. Just make sure your pistol is sprung properly for +P. Assuming it is based on what little is known. I had a Tripp built 2011 with a Shuemann barrel and it was good with 30 Super +P and 9x23... I did have to tune the recoil spring - but can't remember what weight I went with...

Bill O’Rights

Active Fanatic
Every rule has its exceptions, but generally the barrel itself is among the least of the limiting factors for +P in a 1911. More often, the frame, slide, slide lock, barrel link, springs and their fitment call the shot. (Yes, pun intended.)

Ironically, it's not the pressure per se, but a function of pressure as it determines torque during recoil, that determines whether a 1911 can handle +P.

Once, with a foreign made, moderately priced 1911, I attempted to shoot some +P Ammo in .45 acp. On about the 4th, 5th or 6th round, the pistol would lock up. At first, I suspected that I was inadvertently pushing the slide lock pin out of battery. But... finally, my LGS and I determined that because of poor barrel link and slide stop pin fit, the barrel torque was twisting and pushing/leveraging the pin out of place a little bit with each round.

We changed out the offending pin and link to better quality and a careful fit, tweaked the locking lugs fit, added a heavier recoil spring for good measure... and it ran without a hitch with +P Ammo and everything else.

That said, I'm not a fan of +P ammo in .45acp for most uses, including self defense.

My two cents... after adjustment for inflation.

John Galt

Well-Known Fanatic
The pistol was built by Johnny Lim at Limcat and he told me essentially the same thing that the limitation was the springs and my /tolerance / allowance for recoil.

He said he built the gun with 12# springs and if there was any issue (or as a matter of preference if desired) upgrade to 16#

I really appreciate all the help guys.