Should I Buy the Norden Performance/GRSC 1-6?

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
I'm borrowing a Norden Performance 1-6x First Focal Plane scope from Kirk Broyles, a guy who is really starting to help me out. I used it yesterday in a match, and while I really need to work harder to run the rifle and scope well, the optic itself worked great. There aren't many variable power FFP scopes out there for 1200 bucks, and this one is made in the same Japanese facility that makes high-end scopes for other more well-known brands. The clarity was amazing compared to my MTAC 1-4, it was daylight visible on 1x, even shooting into a setting sun, and it has 14 different holdover dots or circles that are designed for the M855 round from an M4 out to 800, but would also seem to be a benefit when developing a load with different ballistics.

My only real hang up is it only has a two year warranty and unlike my guns, which I send off to have the warranty voided immediately with various work, paying 1200 for an optic with only a two year guarantee seems a bit iffy.

Another question, though, is how much difference is a FFP scope really going to make in 3 Gun where I spend almost all my time on either min or max power and don't really need the ability to calculate range to a target? I sent off an email to Leupold for their military pricing schedule, which I have been told is 40% off all their tactical line of optics and their guarantee and track record for durability is great.

The Lead Farm matches have left me wishing for something a bit more than 4 power, although I have had no trouble with the 500 and 600 yard targets, as they are barn-door size (Not quite, but 36 x 36 seems pretty close).

1200 bucks is a lot of money, especially if I'm not going to be able to take advantage of the benefits offered by the optic, but putting a basic piece of glass like the MTAC 1-4 on a 1300 dollar rifle also seems like I'm not trying to take advantage of what the Stag 3G is capable of. Should I buy the scope and cry now, or would that money be better spent on reloading components, trigger job for the Glock, building material for barricades and taking the wife out as a way to say thanks for being so supportive of a sport that I suck so badly in?

I kind of know the right answer, but I'm looking to see if anyone with more experience in 3 gun has a point of view or opinion I haven't yet considered.

****, did I already post this question? Now, just like stage plans, I'm questioning my ****in' threads. I suck.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Kirk Broyles??? That name brings back memories. I thought he was in jail.

I think you can get the coveted vortex razor HD ii at mil providing cheaper and it won't stink like that turd your talking about.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
What makes you say it's a turd? Are there issues with it that I didn't see? My only comparison is the MTAC and those are two very different scopes in terms of price points and features. I appreciate the feedback.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
Well, just because you've never heard of it doesn't mean it's bad. As an example, there is this little-known company called Glock that makes products that other shooters have used to win national and world titles. It's a little start-up, but seems to have potential.

I'm not sure about the need for FFP in 3 gun, though, so it does seem to be money for a feature I don't really need.

I havent used or examined that particular scope.
Best advice I can give, I think, is to tell you to use your own parameters of what you want, what you like, and what you consider "good" or "good enough".
Ive gotten well reviewed scopes in and put them up for sale right after I mounted it and looked through it.
its a turd cause he's not sponsored by em

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
If it was worth using in 3-gun I would have heard of the scope.

If you have $1200 to burn and don't buy the vortex like thousands of other people use in 3-gun then I don't blame me for being pissed off that you bought some no name scope when you're trying to sell it for 1/3 the price in 6 months to buy a vortex.

runawaygun762

Well-Known Fanatic
Jesse, I'm not going to blame you for anything. Wouldn't help much if I did. I'm a grown-ass man asking questions on opinions of this, not to try to get people to affirm a decision I haven't made. You definitely have my interest piqued on the Vortex. I didn't know they offered a military pricing.

charger arms

Ask Me About My Cocker Spaniels
If you have to have FFP, I know the Bushnell 1-6.5 elite is made that way. With a Ks Rifle Ass membership, you can get a big discount at their outlet store in Overland Park KS. I picked up on of the SFP versions on close out for $809 before tax. They will even ship them to you.

I have looked though the vortex and almost ordered one. But I am just as happy with the new Bushnell.

I would look at a company that will fix or replace damaged scopes. I sent my Sightron back 2 times over the 3 years I owned it. First time it was fixed, second time it was replaced. This sport isn't easy on them and finding one that the company stands behind is the only way to go in my opinion.

Latest posts