SAI EMP 1911

SoCal1911

Fanatic
Yes, good pistol, accurate too. Had to send it into Springfield for minor issue, they have great customer service.

taz4712

Well-Known Fanatic
I have the 3" and the 4" great pistols. I haven't had any problems with either of them. use both as carry pieces. Good Luck.

Bill O’Rights

Active Fanatic
My EMP is the 4 inch carry contour (bobtail)... 9mm.

By way of comparison, FWIW, I have a coupla Colts, a Les Baer, a Sig, 2 or 3 RIA's and a full on custom... and a host of other non-1911 handguns... semi-auto and revolvers.

With a 1,000 rnds (+/-) thru it and not a single glitch (Not one!), and excellent accuracy, the EMP has earned its place as my fave all around carry gun.

I'm leaning toward getting two more - another 4 in. and a 3 in..

tomrkba

Well-Known Fanatic
Both of mine were jamtastic out of the box. The first had an incorrectly fit barrel and their solution was the change the link. The primer strikes were sort of near the center of the primer after that. The ejector worked its way out and prevented the slide from moving. The gun was loaded at the time, so it was exciting getting the slide open.

I still have the second one. It was very jamtastic. I had SACS pin the ejector, fluff and buff it and it's been fine ever since.

Overall, I'd rather have put that $2300 for these two guns toward a Nighthawk

Roadwarrior77

Fanatic
I have the 4" Champion model. It had a few minor feeding issues with WWB ammo at first. No problems at all with other brands. After she was broke in, she hasn't had a single issue since. One of my favorite shooters!!

Bear62

Fanatic
I bought the 3" early this year used. I've had zero problems with it. I also sent the slide in to Trijicon to have the "bulbs" replaced in the night sights. I love it. Later this year, I found and bought the 4" bobtail new and it is also awesome. I have about 600 rounds through it with zero problems. I love it also. I have shot several different types of 9mm through both and they just keep working.

Mike Moser

Active Fanatic
I bought the 3" early this year used. I've had zero problems with it. I also sent the slide in to Trijicon to have the "bulbs" replaced in the night sights. I love it. Later this year, I found and bought the 4" bobtail new and it is also awesome. I have about 600 rounds through it with zero problems. I love it also. I have shot several different types of 9mm through both and they just keep working.
About how much does it cost to have those bulbs replaced?

Captiva

Fanatic
I have the EMP4 C3 model PI9229L with about 200 good rounds through it.

Neat design of a gun - well executed re-engineering of the 1911 grip frame for the 9mm cartridge. Kudos to SA for the design work. Grip is definitely smaller and quite comfortable, but I had to swap out the thin factory grips for regular thickness. Really nice for carry, and I like the smaller magazines.

IMO overpriced @ MSRP $1,220 being full of full MIM. I don't know if the MIM innards are the same spec as a full size 1911.

EMP Champion CCC
Stoner CNC Grips
VZ Grips

Mike Moser

Active Fanatic
I have the EMP4 C3 model PI9229L with about 200 good rounds through it.

Neat design of a gun - well executed re-engineering of the 1911 grip frame for the 9mm cartridge. Kudos to SA for the design work. Grip is definitely smaller and quite comfortable, but I had to swap out the thin factory grips for regular thickness. Really nice for carry, and I like the smaller magazines.

IMO overpriced @ MSRP $1,220 being full of full MIM. I don't know if the MIM innards are the same spec as a full size 1911.

EMP Champion CCC
Stoner CNC Grips
VZ Grips
Captiva what grips did you get for your EMP.

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
I had one that I built up. It needed a couple trips back to correct major issues that I could not repair without a mill. It eventually was a good little gun but then I fell in love with carry optics and moved onto something new.

Attachments

• 023C63F9-3265-43CD-9E7E-E3929259EBDA.jpeg
    023C63F9-3265-43CD-9E7E-E3929259EBDA.jpeg
    928.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 807B5268-E1A7-4CBE-A0B9-C2B21AFDBDF0.jpeg
    807B5268-E1A7-4CBE-A0B9-C2B21AFDBDF0.jpeg
    947.9 KB · Views: 3

TangoWhiskeyFoxtrot

Well-Known Fanatic
I had two - 3" and 4" Carry Contour. Both were miserable out of the box. Barely functioned at all. Both went back to Springfield for major work, including re-cut feed ramps, replace firing pins, pin ejectors, etc. One had the slide replaced.

Obviously, this sort of crap shouldn't happen, but...

Warranty service was good, turnaround was quick, guns were excellent upon return. I mean really excellent. The design is fine - I much prefer it to the competing Sig 938. My problems were the result of poor execution. The guns are very accurate and mine were stone reliable once repaired. I had John Harrison replace the sights on both mine with one of his rear sights and a Dawson fiber optic front. They were awesome carry guns.

I really wish I'd kept the EMP4...

DSTALLGUY

Active Fanatic
About how much does it cost to have those bulbs replaced?
I had the EMP in 40S&W and had front tritium vials blown out the front to be lost in the sea of brass at the range. Happened in the first 400 rounds. SA warrantied my slide repair-sent to Trijicon directly. Only complaint was when returned the roll pin holding the front sight in was fine on top of the sight but looks like they bubba dremeled the inside of the slide below the sight and left it with an obvious "oops" ground in the slide internal. No mention of it when returned, just "here ya go". I gave full disclosure and sold it to a local PD officer wanting it for an off-duty BUG. I'd get another one - but in 9mm instead. For a hair more money, get the DW guardian unless you're set on having a 3" barrel.

awp101

Well-Known Fanatic
I had one that I built up. It needed a couple trips back to correct major issues that I could not repair without a mill. It eventually was a good little gun but then I fell in love with carry optics and moved onto something new.
I remember following your build thread on that one. I sort of want one of the 4" CC in 9mm to possibly replace my Shield but I'm on the fence.