Ruger SP101 build

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
The SP101 that I had was as rough as a cob. The trigger pull was almost as bad as a ratchet clicking.

The finish was pretty beat up too.

I had a lot of time on my hands so I decided that it would be a swell idea to polish the stainless steel until it was like a mirror.

The frames are cast and there isn't a flat surface anywhere on the pistol. A mirror finish is all about light reflection and that's about flat surfaces.

Sanding blocks with progressively finer grits of wet or dry sandpaper finally got me there at just about the same time my fingerprints were erased from my finger tips. Hours upon hours of elbow grease.

While the revolver was stripped down it was only a natural to put a polish on the guts. Then trigger and hammer shims.

When I started it was like an East German dump truck. All of my buffing and fluffing brought it all they up to maybe a Russian dump truck in smoothness.

In the end I realized that I've been a S&W revolver guy too long to appreciate the SP101 for what it is and what I couldn't make it, no matter how hard I tried.
Thank you for your honesty.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Yes, it Karl Sokol at Chestnut Mountain Sports.
I thought that it might be him. I think he does fantastic work! I will be sending him a Springfield for some minor work I want done. Most of mine are stock or very near, and he has always treated me right.

Mike A1

Well-Known Fanatic
Fanatic Family

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
Can't beat great leather holsters.
I've had great luck with HBE holsters. Hand made one at a time. Takes the time to help you figure out what you want/need. Very nice gentleman. Takes a minute to get them but they are worth the wait and the not overwhelming price. I've used his stuff for several years, and have NEVER been disappointed.

BIGDAVE101

Well-Known Fanatic
18 years with my sp101, still love it... no mods, does not need them... 2 me is a working tool. Some Colts and Smiths ARE WORKS OF ART! Most Rugers are soldiers in the trenches...

Blackbeard

Administrator
Staff member
Fanatic Family
This was one of the last pieces Karl worked on before he passed away.
I found some Shelby Cobra holsters thanks to a friend, as well as quality leather ones, just incase.

I do need to take some pics.

Bob Lee

Well-Known Fanatic
This was one of the last pieces Karl worked on before he passed away.
I found some Shelby Cobra holsters thanks to a friend, as well as quality leather ones, just incase.

I do need to take some pics.
I truly miss Mr. Sokol. A great guy and a fantastic gunsmith. I have several HiPowers he's done work on, and I had him work on a couple of 1911's for me to. A 1St class gentleman who is greatly missed.

Latest posts