RMR on your carry gun

ThePlumber

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a friend who is into the tacticool polymers with RMRs, and such. He is a firm believer in RMRs on his carry guns, because the dot is easier on his aging eyes to pickup quickly. I am not getting any younger, but don't have issues, yet, with picking up my front sight.

He has got me thinking of possibly try one on a 1911/2011 (a CCP).

Any thoughts and pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Bender

Well-Known Fanatic
@azpoolguy
He, ^^^, has been dabbling with this with a BEC G19

The con;
I've tried this, but having a problem with muscle memory and acquiring the dot.
Would think the above would improve with continued practice
Another possible thing to go wrong with the weapon
Glass lense of the optic will distort alignment of suppressor height sights
Batteries

The pro;
Focusing ONLY on the target is awesome.
Low light it's awesome
Target or thread concentration is outstanding

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
I've drank the kool-aid hard on the RMR. The advantages far out way in disadvantages. Spend some time on YouTube and watch all of Sage Dynamics videos on the RMR. It will drastically cut your learning curve.

For me I grew up trap shooting where you have a hard target focus and blury sight picture. Switching my sight picture to front sight foucus never made sense to me. You end up doing eye sprints from the front sight to the target back to the front sight and then the rear and then back to the front then back to the target. I read and hear front sight , front sight , front sight but the human brain wants to focus on the target so I guarantee all most every single one of us looks back to the target as we break the shot. Now with the RMR you just hold the gun up in front of your face. Stare at the target where you want the bullet to impact and place the dot on it and pull the trigger. It is a much simplified process. I listened to a podcast the other day on training new shooters and some instructors are advocating for new shooters to start on a red dot because then all you have to focus on is pulling the trigger without moving the gun.

For carry they add no weight to the gun and very minimal space. The area sit just about the belt and I've never noticed it on the gun in the holster.

I'm 1500 rounds into my dot life and I have not shot or carried a 1911 since getting this. 3F4EA952-6341-4027-B103-F2CA54C6CF48.jpeg585EA21E-116C-426D-9E2D-0FBD7203D290.jpeg94C9F9F8-A69A-4EF3-A424-0C2CD28C8408.jpegA6C42DA7-8518-40C4-BA54-5099AE636820.jpegI shoot primarly at 10,15 and 25yrds now where I liked to do work at 3,5 and 7 with irons because that is where I was good at. Now I can see the target clearly and just place the dot and stroke the trigger. I have way more confidence in where the bullet is going. The first time shooting a dot at 15 yards and being able to clearly see the scoring rings and the dot I was sold.

The only issues I have had is with the auto adjustable brightness models with some indoor lighting conditions, dark room shooting into a brighter room or with a hand held light washing out the dot . So I switched to the manual adjust model and have had zero issues.

Please feal free to ask any other questions. As Bender knows i can rant about things for awhile. Also send me a PM and I can get you my phone number if you want to chat.

Last edited:

Ethank

Active Fanatic
I too am a fan of red dots on carry guns. Here is a picture of one of mine on a 1911. 40FC072C-2250-44B7-B588-CF28D76FBFA6.jpeg

I've found that using the same draw stroke and presentation as with irons leads to the fastest dot pick up speed for me. The learning curve wasn't as steep as I expected, it was actually a fairly easy transition.

ThePlumber

Well-Known Fanatic
@azpoolguy
He, ^^^, has been dabbling with this with a BEC G19

The con;
I've tried this, but having a problem with muscle memory and acquiring the dot.
Would think the above would improve with continued practice
Another possible thing to go wrong with the weapon
Glass lense of the optic will distort alignment of suppressor height sights
Batteries

The pro;
Focusing ONLY on the target is awesome.
Low light it's awesome
Target or thread concentration is outstanding
The battery has been a concern of mine, especially on a carry weapon. Trijicon does have a dual illumination model without batteries.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=RMR&mid=Dual-Illuminated

Anyone with experience with those?

Ethank

Active Fanatic
The battery has been a concern of mine, especially on a carry weapon. Trijicon does have a dual illumination model without batteries.

https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product2.php?id=RMR&mid=Dual-Illuminated

Anyone with experience with those?
I have one on a Glock. I would not recommend for a carry gun. It washes out in a darkened environment, especially with a back lit object. For that reason, Trijicon also does not recommend them for duty or carry use.

Razer

Active Fanatic
Any problems with the RMR catching on clothes etc..

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic

DPGI

Fanatic
I have carried a pistol with a red dot for almost 5 years now...

There is a serious amount of work that goes into being proficient with a red dot on a pistol. However, once you are there, the benefits are definitely worth it.

The number one thing to help get over the learning curve is; be intimately familiar with your NPA.

Do the work, and you will reap the rewards. Of course, what part of life can't that be said about?

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
The nice thing about an RMR is it makes dry fire fun.

I also heard in one of the Sage Dynamic videos about just holding the slide back plate or hammer on a 1911 in front of your nose for alignment at press out and the dot will be there. It works well.

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
It's does. As I try to understand the RMR more I'm beginning to understand the difference in how your eyes align iron sights versus the RMR. It really is two completely different sighting systems mounted on top of the same pistol.

azpoolguy

Well-Known Fanatic
I have a build coming due soon, and will definitely be mounting a RMR. Just for shits and giggles. Not a carry gun, but have to start somewhere.
Just try it and don't shoot with an expectation of how fast you will pick it up. Enjoy the experience and the process of something new.