Red Dots or Iron Sights for 45deg (upto 50 yard shots)

Wall

El Diablo
Staff member
Red dot + scope means open division.
Irons + scope is ok for tac ops division.

jtischauser

I'm addicted to kicking ass
Red dot is always faster but Tony is correct red dot offset from a scope gets expensive fast cause it's open gear.

hunter_dmw12

Well-Known Fanatic
im no pro but last weekend i seen a guy shooting with a red dot( looked to be an rmr ). when he was done shooting his rifle he slammed it in the barrel and the next thing i seen was him cussing up a storm because he busted the lens out of it. imo i would think irons would be better and alot cheaper. maybe im wrong

wgm2011

Well-Known Fanatic
AnimalCustoms said:
Red Dots or Iron Sights for 45deg (upto 50 yard shots)

Thoughts?
Mondo
I use a red dot, but then I'm locked into open.

From practice sessions with the timer, I've found that within 20 yards I'm faster with the red dot than with the scope..

From 20 yards to about 40 yards, I will still use the red dot if I need to use the scope at higher magnification. It saves me the time needed to flip the swithview from 1x to 4x.

If the entire stage is 20+ yards and shot with the scope at 1x, the red dot is not used.

When I gave them a try, angled iron sights only really worked for me on targets closer than 25 yards.

Bill

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
hunter_dmw12 said:
im no pro but last weekend i seen a guy shooting with a red dot( looked to be an rmr ). when he was done shooting his rifle he slammed it in the barrel and the next thing i seen was him cussing up a storm because he busted the lens out of it. imo i would think irons would be better and alot cheaper. maybe im wrong
Don't know if it's the case here, but some people mount their offset RD on the handguard, which is asking for trouble. I have an Aimpoint micro mounted so far back it's flush with the back end of my scope and never bounced into anything.
There's even place for the throw lever in front of it:

43F043BD-127A-4AF3-A294-73EFC5E785C5_zpshqhzxugh.jpg

slemmo

Well-Known Fanatic
Found better pic, and I meant to say room for the throw lever, posts are locked so damn fast here I can't fix my typing errors.....btw, I keep my RD zeroed at 50 yard and my main optic at 200 so they're basically the same. Some people like to zero the RD at 20-30 yards.

IMG_2560_zps6182ef7d.jpg

James Peel

Well-Known Fanatic
I just mounted the Dueck Defense RTS offset irons, with the fiber optic front sight on my seekins. Just did a little bit of testing last week but can see that once I get used to their location, they could be an advantage over the optic on short range stuff. I really like the fiber optic front sight.

Latest posts