recommended survival knifes?

Dubs Chops

Well-Known Fanatic
I ended up get a swamp rat ratmanduex It is a busse Kin knife and the still is proprietary like the Infi is. This thing will take a wicked edge. Chop down a tree and still shave you.

twobravo

Fanatic
An Ontario TAK-1 is what has lived on my GHB for a few years now.
ONTARIOTAK.jpg

Weavo

Fanatic
Mora Knife #2. It is really inexpensive at about $15. It is sharp (stays sharp well) makes great sparks with sparking devices, and will cut 3" trees with baton. It is inexpensive enough you can have several. Remember, two is one and one is none. Buy a couple and have some cash left over to buy something else you may need. I'm careful not to refer to it as cheap... It's price defies how rugged this little knife really is.

ripnbst

Well-Known Fanatic
I've got a RAT5 for my "survival" fixed blade. It's a big knife that could build a shanty if called upon to do so and is D2 steel. I want to have a kydex sheath made for it, the factory sheath is less than impressive but not terrible either.

The next fixed blade I buy will be a Coye Ridgeback. I am saving my pocket change until I decide to drop that kind of dough on a knife. It will be a while.

dennishoddy

Had an M7 back in the day.
Currently just carry a 4" folder with a very sharp blade on it. Nothing special for a brand. It only needs to be used once.

My hunting, skinning knives tend to get on the top end of the market.

Josh Beauchamp

Well-Known Fanatic
My Gerber LMF2 has served me quite well. Holds a good edge and is stout enough to do small chopping. Beyond that I have my SOG voodoo hawk also.

Brandi

Well-Known Fanatic
Mine are Gerber LMF ASEK, DPX Hest, Kabar "foliage" fighting knife and an OKC new style bayonet (I don't know the actual designation)...probably a couple others I can't remember. I think I like the Gerber LMF and the Kabar best.

JustSayWhen

Well-Known Fanatic
I spend a lot of time in the woods cutting shooting lanes and putting up tree stands and skinning a deer when I get one. Best knife I have ever used for bushcraft is the KaBar Potbelly designed by Johnson Adventure Blades out of Nebraska. Met the guy at **** Show last year and was a great guy. It is a hell of a knife comes with a sheath and even a lil skinning knife as well. Definitely check it out. I never recommend something unless I have used it and I can say it works. It is on the bigger side but it is worth it when you can chop through things so damn easily.

dennishoddy

JustSayWhen said:
. Met the guy at **** Show last year and was a great guy.
I don't think I want go to that show......:D

Made in Stillwater, check out http://mccroskeyknives.com/about.html

I have the Elk Skinner model. You visit Dave, get the knife fitted to your hand, and then he builds it. My blank rockwelled at 64. I've skinned two elk so far with it, and it will still shave you.

Dave offers a lifetime sharpening service for free if you take it to him in Stillwater Ok. Pay the shipping, and he will sharpen it for free as well.

twss

Well-Known Fanatic
64 is a bit hard for most knives. In a skinning knife this may not be a bad thing though. Just don't try to chop through bone with it, like some do, it may very well break.

JustSayWhen

Well-Known Fanatic
dennishoddy said:
I don't think I want go to that show......:D

Made in Stillwater, check out http://mccroskeyknives.com/about.html

I have the Elk Skinner model. You visit Dave, get the knife fitted to your hand, and then he builds it. My blank rockwelled at 64. I've skinned two elk so far with it, and it will still shave you.

Dave offers a lifetime sharpening service for free if you take it to him in Stillwater Ok. Pay the shipping, and he will sharpen it for free as well.
Haha you guys know what I meant and mccrosky makes great skinning knives my shop is right down the street from them and we know him pretty well. He will sharpen any of your knives anytime a great guy!

Latest posts